US Gold Coin TID Chart

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning, I was wondering if anyone has any TID information regarding US gold coins for the XP Deus? I plan on finding a gold coin one day and need to know what to look / listen for. Thanks!

Mike

Mike,

Guess what. Unlike a silver coin or penny or even a nickel which all have pretty consistent TIDs and give you high confidence you know what you are about to dig out of the ground, you will NEVER know you got your coil over a gold coin until you dig it out of the ground. The reason is simple. US Gold coins vary considerably in mass and diameter, these all affect TID to a greater extent than the conductivity of the metal itself because gold itself is a mid-to-low conductor. Also, on the Deus, TID varies with frequency with the TID increasing with higher operating frequencies (this is true of all targets regardless of their intrinsic composition/conductivity). Because of this behavior, high conductors tend to squashed up into 90's and small, lower conductors at low frequencies can end up in the 40's and 50's.

Therefore, a very small US $1 gold piece can ring up in the 50's (4khz) or in the 70's or 80"s or even higher at the 28 khz and above. The larger mass gold coins will ring up higher. Also, soil effects and nearby iron targets can cause up and down averaging of TID's. A recent banner post of a colonial gold coin rang up in the low 90's on Deus. You just never know, frankly. That could have also been a clad dime, too.

My advice is to dig any signal where the audio is a sweet and repeatable coin tone, regardless of TID - you will know what that means by just digging a lot of clad. All the rest are judgment calls where you are going to have to decide if that iffy signal that may be a pull tab or can slaw or foil condiment packet might also just be a diamond ring or gold coin.

HH

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
vferrari is right on...
The best descrimater is your shovel and the best ID'r is your eyes.
Just listen for those smooth sounds that repeat and dig it all...
Worry about the numbers later......

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s what I figured, very similar to other machines. Thank you for your responses, Merry Christmas!

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I found mine, it was under a rusty nut on a bolt and it rang in the nickle range if I remember correctly, do a search I did a post on it....

I keep looking for it's lost friends but have yet to hit another one.....

jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread