Iron question on my pitch program answer.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive experimented with the pitch program but I just seem to have less problems with iron when I stick with full tones zero disc. Bigger iron sounds better in pitch than in full tones

i thought so too Toasted but not anymore. Even at zero disc full tones still masks iron or nulls on it or something and the iron grunt isn't the same either. There is no masking in pitch. i can't explain it properly but pitch is much better in iron than full tones and i used full tones for 5 years on the Deus so for me to finally switch to pitch says a lot for me. Just sayin'

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
I've been a full tones guy for years too.
But seeing what CD has been doing and his videos made me give it a shot.
I'm still getting the hang of it, but as the saying goes...
You always get what you always got, if you always do what you always did.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe but Id rather spend my time digging non ferrous then learning a new program that may or may not find me more at worked over iron infested sites

It's basically the same program with only two tweaks>changing the audio from full tones to pitch (603 hz) and increasing disc to 7.5.

The key is the disc setting. On Deus, disc is a filter that does two things it nulls the iron or allows you to hear all iron (or disc'd targets) as a single low iron tone (if you use an iron volume setting other than 0) and helps to mitigate ferrous down averaging of non-ferrous targets. Having disc cut in also makes the horseshoe display more accurate, according to XP. That is why most of the pre-programmed programs other than Gary's hot and deep programs have a minimum disc set at around 6.5.

Pitch audio does two things too, it allows the non-ferrous targets to jump out from the iron audio and since it is a variable pitch tone allows you to zero the coil in on the non-ferrous target amongst the nails (in this way it works similar to pinpoint, but it is still a motion mode while pinpoint is static).

With full tones 0 disc (I was a zealot of this program too back in the day) you have no choice but zero disc if you want to hear iron tones or targets that might get pulled down into the iron range because full tones has no iron audio if you apply any disc whatsoever. Also, the targets that get pulled down into that range have tones very similar to iron tones when using full, tones which makes them harder to audibly discern vs. Pitch or even 5 tones where you have the ability to actually adjust the tone frequencies.

With Deus, the +/- buttons allow you to instantaneously switch back and forth between the two programs so you can see what a target sounds like in 0 disc full and pitch for comparison. This way you can search in 0 disc full while learning pitch. No time lost from target recovery while learning other than the few seconds it takes to sweep the target in pitch. If it turns out to not be your cup of tea, then no harm, no foul, no wasted time. I have both programs on my Deus as well as a 5 tone variant but have found myself sticking mainly with pitch, but still interrogate targets with a few programs/frequencies using the +/- buttons.

It's also OK if you don't want to learn new tricks, too. If it ain't broke...etc. But I don't think you would have much trouble picking it up since you have plenty of experience on the Deus.

Last edited:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The other problem with digging those iffy targets with really low numbers, for me at least, is that it is almost always coal/hot rocks. Some times they will even come in as high as a small tombac(30s)

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Key words are "almost always". The disc will pull up some of those iffy's into the right TID range (making them clearly not iffy) while leaving most of the hot rocks and coal behind and if you really become "one with pitch" the coal/hot rocks will sound hollow or less intense even if they pop up above the disc breakpoint. It's subtle but there. Your finds should go up, not down because there will be less iffy signals to chase. Your call, though. It's just a freebie with little if any downside.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Key words are "almost always". The disc will pull up some of those iffy's into the right TID range (making them clearly not iffy) while leaving most of the hot rocks and coal behind and if you really become "one with pitch" the coal/hot rocks will sound hollow or less intense even if they pop up above the disc breakpoint. It's subtle but there. Your finds should go up, not down because there will be less iffy signals to chase. Your call, though. It's just a freebie with little if any downside.
I definitely plan on trying pitch more on old sites and focus on the hunt and not the finds. Didnt have a whole bunch of luck getting new permissions this past fall anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used both and probably spent a 1000 hours on full tones. Pitch will out full tones hunt it iron.....Good info was given above.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread