Tighter notch on Deus

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Deus is OTW. Paypal credit. Kinda like gambling on somebody else's money. LOL Don't tell my wife!!!

I noticed the notch width default is 6 numbers. I don't know but seems like that is wide. So I just thought if using multi-tones you could set one tone as narrow as you like and it will probably give a blended tones sound for an unwanted item like a pulltab. So when you hear that, you know it's junk. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Be careful thinking that even a narrow Notch is accurate. It maybe on a nice strong signal but the weaker the signal gets the less reliable the Notch edges become.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I haven't read much about the notch function so i kinda expected it was a bit "iffy". What I've read is if you get a slight break-up in the tone you are alerted. I also figured that the 6 points is what somebody determined to be the minimal width, but I like to find out for myself. Don't know how low the frequency can be set, but if you could set it below hearing range that might be better, but i don't expect that is possible.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the quick notch setting. In the expert settings you can set 3 notches of any width. Some like to notch iron wraparound at 97 - 99, for example. I personally avoid using any notches with this machine. Great audio nuances, so l let the audio tell me whether that 53 is a nickel or can slaw.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. I've been reading the manual but did not realize the expert notch allows that narrow width. Got the Sabish book on order, too.

Also reading the forums and lots of good videos on you tube. I'll get this. I've learned a little about tones with the AT Gold. No notch there.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Notching can ruin your day. I have had gold ring from "45" on the Deus to "94". And everywhere in between. It depends on size of the object, karat value, orientation in the ground, etc.

I had a "98" signal on the Deus over the fall/winter I thought for sure was a piece of trash. We were detecting a CW site. Most times a "98" is a medium size piece of roundish forged iron. It was a big gold coin down I guess 6" or so.

I don't notch for a reason. Several of my best Confederate buttons came in sounding like nickels. Go figure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually i guess the AT Gold does have a notch of sorts, called DISC 2. I have only used it a few times in the most trashy areas. It's 10 numbers and it's like for emergency only. LOL the thing with notch it also affects the signals nearby somewhat. That was my whole thinking about keeping it very narrow.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was your plan for notching anyway? It is definitely not a feature that gets used on my deus.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I figured to eliminate some but not all pulltabs in trashy areas. I'm looking for gold jewelry.

Last edited:

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Looking for gold you have to dig pulltabs.... Just saying..

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must have a lot less trash in your area. LOL Montana high beer consumption.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand the notch is dangerous and I don't like it, either. Thanks for the info. I have plenty enough to worry about. LOL

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I have had pulltabs come in exactly like some of the medium size gold. I'd recommend to not notch it.

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
In my opinion the Deus is a tonal machine with the VDIs as a backup.
I found that with good headphones you can hear a slight buzz to aluminum when coming off of it.
But you still have to dig them to be sure. I wouldn't pass them up.
I know it's a pain, 100+ to 1:BangHead:, but...… ?gold? :icon_thumright:

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My comment is right in line with everyone else's, the Deus is a tone machine. Start off on full tones and don't notch anything, make a little test bed with a penny, nickle, dime, and quarter. Swing over them all and hear how they sound. if you have any silver or gold do the same thing, swing over them! Now get a iron nail and put it close to one of the targets and hear how the tone changes.
Once you learn the tones the machine makes then start playing with different settings and such, the Deus is many Machines in 1 and by changing coils any and almost all spots are open to hunt in

just my thoughts :)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Austin_luker is correct. I for one listen to the machine, then sometimes check the VDI. Sometimes.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have a Sovereign and it had the full tones.

Got the Sabisch book today and it will keep me busy for a while. Good reading, well written, lots of good info.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got that book too, but it burned out my brain! Very well written, but I went out to play in the dirt instead.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is the quick notch setting. In the expert settings you can set 3 notches of any width. Some like to notch iron wraparound at 97 - 99, for example. I personally avoid using any notches with this machine. Great audio nuances, so l let the audio tell me whether that 53 is a nickel or can slaw.

VF,

What audio setting do you use when relic hunting? CD's pitch program or another? As far as coin hunting what audio tone setting are you using, 3, 5, or different??

"D"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions