Too much time spent on Treasurenet and too many YouTube videos...

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...have led me to ordering a new XP Deus (Config 3, 9" X35, from Big Boys Hobbies). Mr. Sabisch's book is on the way from Amazon, too.

It's going to be a fun Spring! The ground is just getting thawed out in spots here in my part of the woods (upstate NY at the southern end of Lake Champlain).

Nothing like a new machine on the way to make a person super-excited about detecting!

Happy hunting,
Bob

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll like it. It's a killer in iron infested sites. I use the Deus fast mode primarily, that signal flies to the ground and back.

OP
OP
desmobob

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll like it. It's a killer in iron infested sites. I use the Deus fast mode primarily, that signal flies to the ground and back.

Its reputation in iron is what made me pick it over the 'nox 800 or Amfibio, and it was a tough choice. There sure are a lot of nice detectors out there nowadays!

Take it easy,
Bob

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome machine. you can use the existing programs or customize your own for your own needs. this means you can also customize it into being less than what you want too if you aren't careful (yep, did it). you have the ability to create it into several different machines for different uses or applications. Lots of awesome help here if you need it. most people who struggle with it detecting just don't have it set up right. CB's pitch program is really good too. SmokeytheCat is awesome with hers. Good luck and have a blast!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am guilty of Utube and treasure hunting. I went the way of the Nox myself.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll love the audio. You tube videos do not do it justice. Much better live. I can really hear the aluminum. Only been out about four hours. I pulled a few pull tabs and rings, but most of them were on edge. Lots of times I can hear several tones and wavering, and hard edges, really hard to miss. Found a small diamond ear stud, broken and not very high quality. Very tiny but hit hard and loud with 9" X35 coil.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Youtube? Me? Youtube? Well, anyway, use a factory preset at first, go ssslllooowww, I dig everything over "40" on the meter. My smallest gold came in at "45", highest for gold was "96" but it was a monster!

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a good decision both on the Deus and Andy's book. I found it very informative and the second time I read it I had my controller in hand to follow along with the examples in the book.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just picked up a Deus and was messing around with the setting in the yard this afternoon.

I see 10 search modes and am trying to decide between the Deus Fast # 3 and the Hot program #9, using the 11" LF coil.........do you have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

John

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely get the Andy Sabisch book. Several programs in there and much good info. Also many videos on you tube--XP Deus Skill School a good place to start. Deus Fast is a bit busy, The Basic is quieter for starting out unless you have a quiet place (low trash). Best to find one to start out on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
desmobob

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, my Dēus is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (along with the latest Sabisch book). I've read through the entire instruction manual and have watched HOURS of the XP Skill School series. I get the impression that this machine may be a bit more user-friendly than my White's DFX.

I thought the manual was very well done; much more comprehensive than the DFX manual. I think a person would be hard-pressed to get a good grasp on that machine without Jeff Foster's book. The Dēus manual seems much more clear with better explanations of the settings. I think they did a great job.

Tomorrow will be torturous! My Dēus is coming via UPS; signature confirmation. It's opening day of trout season here and I'm a fly fishing nut. The UPS truck sometimes gets to my area by late morning and sometimes late afternoon. If I knew they were coming in the afternoon I could sneak out for a little fishing.

Oh well... it rained on and off today and there's a hard cold front moving in tonight so it won't kill me to miss a fishing day that will likely be fruitless. Opening day is tough here in the north country... there is still plenty of snow and ice on the ground and the water temps are very low. Those cold-blooded trout won't be moving too fast...

Bob

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
good luck on both and have fun with both

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...have led me to ordering a new XP Deus (Config 3, 9" X35, from Big Boys Hobbies). Mr. Sabisch's book is on the way from Amazon, too.

It's going to be a fun Spring! The ground is just getting thawed out in spots here in my part of the woods (upstate NY at the southern end of Lake Champlain).

Nothing like a new machine on the way to make a person super-excited about detecting!

Happy hunting,
Bob
Enjoy it! Call me with any questions!

OP
OP
desmobob

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoy it! Call me with any questions!

Thanks Bart. I ordered the Deus from you on Friday and you had it shipped that afternoon. I had it out in the back yard on Monday. That's quick service.

I've been having fun with it. I really enjoy it! I've had two surgeries on my right shoulder but both of them are pretty much shot. The Deus' light weight is very much appreciated. It weighs about half what my White's DFX weighs. I hate to even think about using my DFX (especially with the 1400DD coil) now. The Deus is like a feather in comparison.

The thing I enjoy most so far about the Deus is being able to quickly switch programs to compare how they react to targets and to see how my own programs and adjustments are working out. After reading the excellent instruction manual from XP and the Andy Sabisch book, I feel pretty good about using the machine. I put a lot of effort into learning my DFX and I feel the Deus is easier to get a grasp of.

I dug a lot of pull tabs, rusty bottle caps, some iron trash and cartridge cases today, as well as a few modern coins. I pretty much dug everything to start to get a feel for the Deus. I mostly used the Basic, Fast, and Deep programs. I really liked switching to the Hot program to look at questionable targets on the XY display. I didn't do much tweaking other than changing the ground balance. The area I was searching was reading a steady 87, so I changed the GB to 87.

Most of the areas I want to hunt still have frozen ground. I was on a South-facing hillside today and about half the spots I dug targets from were still a little or a lot frozen. Thank goodness for the Predator Piranha! My hand digger wouldn't have been able to get the job done.

I only had a few little niggles... I thought the buttons on the remote unit are a little small for my big fingers. I got used to them after a while, though.

I also added a lanyard to the remote unit when I got home. I managed to bump it off the handle at the beginning of the day. It didn't happen again, but it made me a little nervous! I had a lanyard that came with a flashlight or camera and it has a small diameter cord loop at one end and a wrist-sized fabric loop on the other. I put the thin cord through the holes in the bottom of the remote unit, then l loop the lanyard over the arm brace end of the stem before snapping the remote into place. My only concern is that it will snag on branches, etc. I may have to use something smaller and tighter around the stem with a clip to a very short lanyard loop on the remote.

I'm really looking forward to some warmer weather and the ground thawing so I can get to some good spots, learn my new Deus and have more fun. I think I'm going to enjoy this machine a whole lot!

Good hunting,
Bob

Last edited:

upstatedetector

Jul 21, 2009
Upstate, NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F5
Hi Bob, congrats on the Deus. I'm just south of you in Schenectady. My biggest gripe with the Deus is probably just what you mentioned, the buttons. I have seen some people put the little round stick on "cupboard bumpers" on the buttons but I haven't found any that work well to my liking. The other gripe I have had with the machine is bugs introduced in the software programs. They do seem to fix them with new updates though. The latest issue I had was with the WS5's discharging even when off. It looks like they fixed that with the most recent update. I love the machine overall with the light weight, compactness and lack of wires. I mostly use the 9" HF coil.

DigDug216

Feb 22, 2016
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Equinox 800 and the XP Deus. The Deus is without a doubt my go to machine! Dont get me wrong the Equinox is awesome but i prefer the Deus in iron infested areas. The 800 is my go to in water hunts.

Cyberdeus

Dec 29, 2019
Netherlands
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my Deus as well after watching videos on YT for days. I got through all David's skill schools, and a friend of mine also owns a Deus which motivated me to get one. Tho I had a hard choice between Deus and Anfibio, overall I was amazed by the wireless technology used in Deus, its made in France so I wanted to give it a try. I had a Garret AT PRo, but I exchanged it with my dealer into Deus, I just had to pay some extra money. Totally worth and Im in love with Deus. The light weight, I could run with it for hours without having any fatigue with my arm (which was the opposite with Garret). My first find with a Deus was an old Dutch coin from 1960, first run with my own custom settings (I switched to G-Maxxx program but customized it). And I am very happy with my Deus <3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread