Oh... So THAT'S why using some discrimination is a good idea!

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening everyone, today I experienced firsthand the benefit of running the XP Deus with some discrimination. I've recently moved away from full tones with 0 disc in favor of 3 tones with disc set at 7.5. I don't use pitch because most of my sites are contaminated with modern trash. My strategy is to "scout" in 12 kHz with reactivity set to 2, silencer -1 and then switch to 25 kHz with reactivity set to 3, silencer -1 once the trash starts to get heavy. I was detecting a stretch of woods and got into some iron when all of a sudden, wham! I got a signal with a solid 80 before I had the chance to cut over to 25 kHz. As a test, I switched over to my old full tones program and did not like what I heard at all. I dig, and out pops one of the nicest IHP's that I have ever found!

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

In full tones, the presence of ferrous next to non ferrous (the IHP) caused the signal to not only down average but to also be inconsistent. In 3 tones with disc set at 7.5 the TID remained at a solid 80 in 12 kHz no matter which way I came at it. I am convinced that I would have missed this coin if I were using full tones with 0 disc.

Mike

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Your on track with that one.
Great score .
Congrats

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job. I only use 3 tones on my deus. I think it is simpler to distinguish targets better that way. I run disc at about 6 and prefer to hunt in 17 or higher freq. The signals pop good enough for me and I prefer tones to pitch. Keep up the good work!!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Good one Secondstar. I like multi tones and a bit of disc myself. I also like to do what you did. Check a signal with different programs/settings before I dig it. It takes but a second to do that and you learn a lot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions