XP Deus Signals Recognition & Strategy

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that's why i rarely use "1" Reactivity, you're going to miss some targets in trash. Clean site, even go down to "0" but you do have to slow down. Clad dimes give a weak signal and i would not use that to judge how the other good targets respond. i would not say you need to slow to a crawl.

As for one-way targets, I sure dig them. Deep targets lots of times give a little buzz. Especially if you are in a good area dig them. As for iron buzz, I think someone said 70%-30% dig it. I've even heard 50-50 dig it. But if you are in a trashy park, maybe not, you decide. Buzz on the edge of a target is a different matter. Search this site for iffy/questionable targets diagnosis.

A Complete Guide to XP Deus Features, Modes and Their Settings

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I like Full Tones. It is easier to hear the target edges. Do the wiggle and pull the coil back to you. Gotta have good coil control, just practice at it and listen. Doesn't hurt to place some trash out (and some good targets) and practice on it. If you don't like Full Tones for your primary search mode maybe you can just build a side program to check the iffy targets. Of course if you are digging "anything that moves", then it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Skiron

Aug 18, 2019
Greece
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks mate, those iffy 50/50 iron buzz/high tone signals (either direction dependent or changing in edges) are really making me crazy, and force me to dig a lot of holes in order to not miss something worthy, but I hope that time and practice will give me the experience for better digging-no digging desissions. Since then, I guess I will continue to dig everything that isn't 100% iron buzz...in fact, iron doesn't seem to be a huge problem so far for me and I dig only little amounts of iron vs non-ferrous....my REAL ENEMY is the tremendous amounts of can slaw in my fields but no way around it so far, so I dig till my arms collapse...

As for the reactivity, I wasn't expected it to be so swing-speed dependent....when I did the 9'' deep silver dime test I literally had to crawl in order to hear the dime with reactivities of 0 or 1...with my normal swing speed the dime was undetectable....
In my inland searching I'm doing fine with reactivity 2, but I really need some extra depth in some of the dry pebble beaches I hunt so I will make more tests there with lower reactivity settings - swing speeds to find the best set.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember it matters if the target is deep or not as too how much iron buzz is acceptable. If it's a shallow, loud target that gives buzz, leave it.

Can slaw is going to take some time to learn. There is a sound to it kinda like foamy dampening and sometimes a warble to the odd shape and usually larger size and loudness. The small pieces not easy to get around. Sometimes All Metal mode can help you examine them. You're going to have to dig some, just try to limit how much. Usually it comes in bunches so that's a good place to learn what it sounds like.

Gary's Skill School has a good youtube video on iron. All his videos are good. Sometimes you gotta go back and watch them from time to time to pick up stuff you are missing.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wow. Enjoyed the Deus classroom. Great information.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My take on Reactivity, if you are in a hunted out area there are going to be targets like dimes on edge almost certainly missed by other hunters for whatever reason. Like I said, don't assume all target are going to respond like dimes on edge. That's a tiny target. Silver dimes you going to do better at a lower frequency. Trash proximity is the big one for Reactivity. You just can't have it both ways.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to try the DEEP program. BTW, Full Tones does not give as clean a signal for those very iffy targets. The DEEP program you get a YES/NO response that's easier to hear. Seems to me you are trying to bite off more than you can chew at one time. Just work on one aspect at a time. I made it a point NOT to mess with Reactivity until I got the other stuff sorted out. I think the instruction manual says that. Just leave it at "2" or "2.5" unless you are in severe trash.

OP
OP
S

Skiron

Aug 18, 2019
Greece
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info and great help as always from signal line....thank you my friend!!!

Well, I had a 2 hours inland hunting (today), and another 3 hours in a dry pebble beach (yesterday)...
I managed some coins but not much (however, one coin from the inland hunting is an extremelly tiny old silver...I have to deliver this find in my local authorities soon and claim to keep it...it's just the law), and managed also a veeeery thin gold ring at the pebbles beach (my first one!!) with some clad coins also.

I was running 28khz in both hunts, 2 tones (202/710), with reactivity 2, silencer -1, disc 6, sens 95, tx power 2, audio 5, iron vol 3, gb manual.

Regarding reactivity: I'm completelly satisfied with reactivity @2 for seperation and depth (I made some extra tests and worked extremelly fine) so I agree with you...I'll leave reactivity as is @2 for now...it seams the best all around setting and I really like the tone length of it.
Regarding Deep platform: I have tried deep vs fast filters, but I gave up due to an incredible amount of iron falsing and chattering with deep....so I based all my programs in fast platform..it seems to me that fast platform is running a lot smoother and stable than deep.

As for 50/50 signals.....you gave me some great info...I had not put the depth into the equation to make my dig decissions for those 50/50 iron buzz/high tone signals. I will definetelly follow your advice and will pass only the shallow 50/50 signals that cannot isolate the high tone without a strong iron buzz. However, maybe my audio response @5 isn't the best choice to have a depth perception...I'm thinking that audio @3 would be a better choice to distinguish the usually valuable deep targets from the shallow junk, but I'm afraid that it should be more difficult to hear them with audio response @3...what's your thought on this?

Now...as I said before, can slaw and aluminum foil pieces are my biggest enemy so far. I was afraid iron as a newbie, but it seems that I don't dig much iron at all....only some rusty pieces now and then....but can slaw and aluminum pieces or foil, a real nightmare for me so far!
Imagine that yesterday, in the dry pebble beach 3 hours hunt, I managed to cover only 10 meters (!!!) of the beach as I was going forward at a coil-swing width....only 10 meters in 3 hours...!!!!! and that's because eeevery few cms I had a high tone that proved to be another aluminum piece...either foil or melted aluminum pieces. Yes, I managed a gold ring as stated above and some coins (not much), but the amount of aluminum pieces were at enormous quantities...I recovered more than 100+ of aluminum pieces in that little beach area, and that kept me going really slow for a 3 hours hunt.
Same today in inland hunting....a million of foil and can slaw pieces in the old church field and was tired very soon of digging them. thankfully however, I found the old silver coin so happy overall.

Anyway, I definetelly have to find a way for the tremendus amounts of aluminum junk I dig. I'm thinking that when inland hunting, to focus only in coin range signals (70+) and notch everything in can slaw and aluminum foil range...and yes forget gold but save my mentallity......but in beaches, where I'm searching jewelry, no way around aluminum I gess...so I will continue to dig everything and hope that aluminum doesn't drive me completelly crazy...

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learn to listen to the foil and slaw. It is doable. There's a different sound to it. Pull tabs you can try to use the X-Y screen to help some. The idea is try to avoid a few of them. You'll never get them all. You can set a notch for a specific type of tab that's really bothering you. Too much power/sensitivity and Audio Response will not allow you to hear it as well. Also I do the Non-Motion AM (All Metal). Turn it down, too.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions