Coil vs OS - Advice?

Discriminator

Jan 3, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Whites DFX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there a breakout of what coils are compatible what what operating system / are they backwards compatible?

I picked up a mint Deus running 3.2 OS. It has the standard 9" black (xp225) coil. I've read where updating to 5.2 needs the newer coils OR there is a performance hit if using the old coils. True?

At $300+ a coil I'm keeping it as-is until I know for sure, e.g. I don't want to upgrade only to have to "throw" the old coil aside and buy new

Thanks in advance

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have had Deus since version 1 with original coil. Updated along the way to 4 just fine. Recently got the 9.5 hf elliptical and updated to version 5. Version 5 recognized both coils no problem. But I have not hunted with version 5 and original coil since installing. If there is a compatibility problem it is news to me.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have upgraded my original LF coil to V5 no problem.

BTW - XP allows you to roll back to any previous version of the software so if such an incompatibility did exist you are not stuck with a non-functional coil.

Ver 4.0 enabled compatibility with the White HF coils (9" round and 9.5x5" elliptical). Operating from 14 khz to 54 (9") or 78 (Elliptical) khz and the Mi6 wireless pinpoointer. Also added Deep mode which re-enabled Ver 2 software processing to enhance deep target signals at the expense of some chattiness/stability.

Ver 4.2 enabled an improvement to the GB tracking feature by adding a ground sensitivity adjustment to prevent instability in highly mineralized soils.

Note: Attempting to roll back the HF coils to version 3.2 will brick the coils.

Ver 5.X enabled compatibility with the new X35 3.5 to 25 khz coils.

Ver 5.21 addresses an idle battery drain issue encountered with some of the wireless headphones.

There is word of mouth evidence the x35 coils will work with Ver 4.X software but all the Ver 5 coil/controller features will not be available. I just simply upgraded everything to ver 5 so I did not confirm that information (note the HF coils do not have to be upgraded to ver 5, they just work whether ver 4 or 5 is installed on the controller).

Note that if you do upgrade or downgrade software versions, the process resets the controller/coil to default settings and you lose your custom program settings. So write them down if you want to restore them post upgrade.

You can upgrade straight to version 5.x (5.21 is the latest version) directly from ver 3.2. You don't need to install version 4 as an intermediate step.

Note that many of the improvements associated with versions 4 and 5 are primarily associated with the new coil capabilities and the wireless pinpointer though improved tracking and addition of the "Deep" and "Hot" programs are independent of coil hardware.

HTH

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Discriminator

Jan 3, 2015
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Whites DFX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Note: Attempting to roll back the HF coils to version 3.2 will brick the coils." I don't understand. I though the software upgrades were to the remote control.......are you saying it is to the coils, also? The Deus is a new animal for me...sorry for all the questions

I see no reason to upgrade - or even buy a new coil. But I'm debating between the 9.5" elliptical or the 11" X35 (I mostly coin hunt).

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Note: Attempting to roll back the HF coils to version 3.2 will brick the coils." I don't understand. I though the software upgrades were to the remote control.......are you saying it is to the coils, also? The Deus is a new animal for me...sorry for all the questions

I see no reason to upgrade - or even buy a new coil. But I'm debating between the 9.5" elliptical or the 11" X35 (I mostly coin hunt).

Depending on the software version, the controller, headphone, and coils are all subject to the upgrade process unless the upgrade explicitly states the coils are not upgraded (like going from version 4 to 5 the HF coils are not upgraded). Note that the custom programs from the controller are actually stored on the coil. This allows you to operate the coil using the headphones only where you can select the custom program stored on the coil using the headphone menu interface and leave the controller in the car. This is typically how UK detectorists operate.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread