Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would take a while. The round control panel controls the volume when used with the rectangular one. When used by itself the WS4 puck is called a Deus Lite by some since it has limited features, can't be updated by itself and has a very small display that is hard for most people to see. The rectangular remote controller has many more features included that makes up the big price difference, it can be updated and makes the Deus a highly customizable detector. Unlike most metal detectors, the actual detector is in the XP coils. The remote controller and WS4 puck just control the settings and programs. Do some more research and also think about the ORX since I know you do some gold prospecting too. It is a very good gold prospecting detector with one of the white high frequency coils (as good as the Equinox with the 6" coil) and has better features in its Gold modes than the Deus. The ORX also has two excellent coin, jewelry and relic modes that work well. It is not as customizable as the Deus for coins, jewelry and relics but makes a good combo with your Equinox.

Jeff

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are considering the Deus lite, I would highly recommend you also look at the Orx, instead. Long time Deus user here and have found the Orx does just about everything I need it to do at least for relic hunting. For Coin hunting you have more options to customize tones and and tone break on Deus, but you can get away with the 3 tones the Orx offers. Ground balancing is a breeze (one button ground grab feature) with Orx and I like the user interface on Orx better as you can more clearly see TID (pop up window) and it has a more intuitive depth and iron probability meter. I am really liking the stripped down simplicity of Orx, the key settings from Deus are there including discrimination, sensitivity, frequency select, reactivity (i.e, ecovery speed setting) that cover probably 95% of detecting situations you will encounter.

And performance is as good as Deus with equivalent settings because both Deus and Orx share the same lineup of wireless coils.

You get wireless headphones and the control unit for about the same price as a Deus lite setup (I have seen some ORX MAPs at $50 LESS than Deus Lite)

Besides some limits on the advanced settings that I described earlier, there is less hardware configuration versatility on Orx. For example, unlike Deus, you can't use the wireless headphones standalone without the square controller/display box and the wireless phones don't have a display. Also, there is no option for GB tracking on Orx, however, the simplified one button ground grab feature on Orx (absent on Deus non-gold modes) makes up for lack of GB tracking and I believe actually gives you more postive control over GB if GB conditions are highly variable.

If you really want a Deus instead, then go for the whole enchilada and get the full Deus vs. the Lite configuration as you are limited by accessible settings, you can't save custom settings, the puck display is hard to navigate and view, and you lose the built in pinpoint function and non-motion modes without the control box. You will just eventually relent and get a control box if you get the lite setup, so go for the price advantage of getting it bundled up front.

I also recommend getting the WS4 backphones vs. the WS5 over the ear muffs. The WS5 controller is not removeable nor is it water resistant like the WS4 puck. Also, if you prefer over the ear phones, you can get a relatively inexpensive set of compatible over the ear phones that have a slot for the WS4 puck to slide onto. IMO, Quest makes the best over the ear phones that use the puck, but other manufacturers like Gray Ghost make versions also.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Vferrari got a few more goodies than I did the day with the Orx. If I didn't already have the full XP Deus, I'd think about getting one of those. Right now the full size Deus is probably the best relic machine for iron out there. Now they have done the latest upgrade, it does a good job in shallow salt water also, like on the slope going into the ocean, and weighs almost nothing.

OP
OP
C

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of depth does the Deus or the Orx have? Primarily targeting old coins in iron laden sites. Square nail beds. Which machine picks out silver better in those conditions?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gotten silver quarters at a foot. Other bigger items deeper. Most average targets 9" or so.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the Orx and Deus use the same coils and have similar settings for recovery speed and discrimination, their depth performance is basically the same.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love my Orx so much it’s so nice I bought it twice!! Also, I have both high frequency coils
( 9” round and 5”x 9.5” elliptical) and the 9” and 11” X35 coils that are shared. Each machine has its own backpack with mini shovel, a pair of wireless WS Audio phones that are zip tied into a hat , and finds bag with Mi 4 pinpointer and hand dig tool on one
setup - and the other finds bag has an Mi 6
Pinpointer
Each tool /finds belt has attached to it the Orx remote in an XP remote hip mount so
The machine is just the coil, stem and telescoping handle ..
These are my main detectors but I also have an equinox 600 which is foldable

Equipment wise I’m set

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like the ORX other than the full tones which I probably wouldn't use and the XY graph on the full Deus I couldn't be happier. With the 9" HF coil you can hit with plenty deep 10" isn't out of the question. Also with if you can get the MI6 pinpointer as well which is very nice for $650 ish.. I just started using the Simplex with my backup pinpointer and really miss the MI6 tones through the wireless headphones. Actually this weekend I was showing my father how I can id a bottle cap by listening to the grunt and he was very impressed. He is a whites DFX guy but just got an AT MAX.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when was the latest upgrade avail? My deus was up to date as of last spring.

The latest update is 5.21, was available in March 2019. You can see the update version number pop up on the Deus remote and headphone controller "boot up" screen after the word "Deus", before your main screen comes on.

Bible

Jan 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its like the headphones you dont have every setting on the circle as of maybe the rectangle piece

Last edited:

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
After much consideration, I purchased the Deus, received it on Friday and have been playing with it for two days.

The first thing I have learned is this machine LOVES copper. Copper, copper and more copper in the first two days.

I've been humping a Bounty Hounter and then an ACE 250 for seven years. I love everything about the Deus and I don't know anything about it yet.

I'm so happy this other machine I was going to get fell through. I want to thank all of you for your much valued shared knowledge. I can't think of one thing I would change on the engineering end. It's so light and easy and beautifully made.

Thanks to all who contribute to this forum.

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
villival,

Congratulations on your purchase!

Be sure to pick up a copy of The Dēus Handbook by Andy Sabisch. It will really help you get the most out of that wonderful detector! Modern high-end detectors have a whole bunch of features that the instruction manuals don't completely cover.

My previous machine was a White's DFX. I was never really comfortable with it until I bought an after-market book that more thoroughly explained the functions and theory of operations. So, when I bought a Dēus, I immediately ordered the Sabisch book. I think it's worth its weight in gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread