signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know some people don't like Full Tones. These same people say there is no way to decipher pull tabs and you must dig them all. There has to be a better way. Some targets don't hit as hard, but maybe put it on a side program for checking iffy targets in the gold range. XY screen, too.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know some people don't like Full Tones. These same people say there is no way to decipher pull tabs and you must dig them all. There has to be a better way. Some targets don't hit as hard, but maybe put it on a side program for checking iffy targets in the gold range. XY screen, too.

You don't need to run full tones to hear the tonal distortion associated with a bent pull tab, aluminum can, or other irregularly shaped junk. You can hear that in any multi tone (i.e. 3, 4, or 5 tone) setup or even in pitch tone mode if you put the swing hours in to train your ears and brain and get good at "interrogating" an iffy target signal by hitting it with multiple modes or frequencies (an advantage that only a few detectors including the Deus have). But the fact remains, even if you get really good at it, you are only increasing the odds in your favor on your iffy signal educated guess but can never really get to 100% correct in your guessing. And unless you do dig every iffy signal you hear, you will invariably leave something good in the ground not to mention those targets you can't hear if that junk is left in the ground.

The reason I personally don't care all that much for full tones as implemented on the Deus is because they set it up such that you can't take advantage of the benefits of discrimination (which limits non-ferrous target ID down averaging and enable reliable horseshoe display operation) while maintaining iron volume audio because iron volume is disabled in full tones. I love 50 tone audio (the full tone equivalent to Deus) on my Equinox which also doesn't suffer as much from TID down averaging with no disc compared to Deus.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion there is a lot more target info from Full Tones.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If running zero disc makes sense, I'll occasionally still run full tones as it does have its uses. Calabash and I were big full tone zealots when we first got our Deus, so I know what you mean about the target info - that's how we now feel about pitch. We've both had a lot more success after switching to pitch audio, disc, and iron volume combo so that's our sweet spot setup now. I also dig most iffy non-ferrous signals unless the numbers are really low. Where I dig, an aluminum can can just as easily be a belt plate and it is hard to differentiate regardless of what tone setup you are using. No shortcuts.

Folks should run with the tone setup that suits them the best be it full, 3 tones, pitch, whatever. Would like hear what others think especially those who prefer multi tones versus full or pitch.

Last edited:

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to run full tones on the Deus with zero discrimination. I found full tones to be too "busy" for my liking and eventually switched to 4 tones. I'm a coin shooter, so it's important for me to be able to clearly identify a high conductor in the iron. For me, I find that disc set at 7.5 with iron volume set to 1 accomplishes this perfectly. My coin program is based on Deus Fast, but I've set the frequency to 25 kHz with ID Norm set to off. I do this so that copper and silver coins produce extremely high TID's. A wheat penny for example typically has a target ID of 93. I chose 4 tones because I like to set a tone break at 92 with a frequency of 993 Hz so that high conductors scream "dig me." From there, I have a tone break set at 80 with a frequency of 800 Hz so that I don't ignore copper / nickel IHP's, trimes, later IHP's, half dimes, etc... My next tone break (7.5 - 79) has a frequency of 400 Hz, with the last tone break having a frequency of 120 Hz.

Since the OP mentioned target info I wanted to point out that in my opinion the Deus always seemed loud and "flat" sounding to me. A silver dime at 6 inches was just as loud sounding as a silver quarter at 2 inches. I experimented with setting audio response from 4 down to 3 and don't plan on ever going back, at least not if I am searching sites contaminated with modern trash. I found that setting audio response to 3 gave me the degree of nuanced audio that I desired so that I could differentiate coins of different sizes at different depths. Not only did I not lose any depth; I found a liberty cap large cent 10 inches deep the very first hunt that I made the change to AR 3! I will say however that it took me MANY hours to really understand the audio info that the Deus was providing me with. I can now identify a coin with a high degree of accuracy, but even to this day will fall back on the old saying "when in doubt, dig it out" if I am unsure.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
in my opinion the Deus always seemed loud and "flat" sounding to me.

That is an excellent description. Or, as I say, my Deus screams "DIG ME YOU STUPID MORON" for just about anything, while my Equinox whispers, "psst... sorry to bother you, but that just might be a silver dollar. Sorry."

but even to this day will fall back on the old saying "when in doubt, dig it out" if I am unsure.

I may dig more "good" stuff than I used to, but I used to dig "more interesting" stuff before I "knew what I was doing".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions