Anyone using the Deus lite?

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just checking to see if anyone is using the Deus lite only with out a remote.

I see most people use the full set up but I was curious at who just uses the lite set up and how has it been going for you.

To me it would be like the ultimate beep and dig unit.

What did you use before you got the Deus lite and do you prefer it now over your older unit.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used it and that lasted about 3 weeks before I got a full up Deus. Very limited - no coil pinpoint mode, no advanced graphic displays, ground balancing and real time target interrogation by shifting settings suffers from the poor ergonomics of using the headphone buttons for navigation, no ability to do software updates, and most frustrating of all NO ability to save custom settings that differ from the programmed defaults - turn off the machine and you are back at square one. Don't get me wrong. you certainly can go out detect with just the headphones and coil PROVIDED you have set up the machine for your hunt site before hand. Otherwise, your experience is very bare bones and very limited. If you want a Deus-like experience but don't want to fork over full up Deus cash, getting an ORX is a better bet. Just as or cheaper than the Deus Lite package, you get the advantage of having the control unit interface to enhance target ID, real-time target interrogation and settings changes and that is a huge step up even if you consider the settings limitations and program limitations assoicated with Orx. Orx gives you the acceptable minimum experience you need to take advantage of the Deus system and should have been called Deus lite IMO.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can see your disappointment in not being able to save the setting. So does the current update not allow you to save settings on the lite either??

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can see your disappointment in not being able to save the setting. So does the current update not allow you to save settings on the lite either??

Nope! The update just expanded the number of parameters you could access from the headphone's control interface for on-the-fly adjustment in the field. Power down and none of those changes are saved because you cannot save custom programs to the coil without the remote. Ironically, unless you know someone with a remote, you cannot update your coil/headphones to the latest version. The Deus lite configuration is not something I would consider as a long-term standalone detecting solution. As a minimalist configuration alternative to operating with your remote, say for water hunting or as something to let a friend or family member borrow for a hunt, it makes sense but otherwise it is severely limited for the long haul.

Last edited:

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have an Orx and to me it’s very nearly the ideal detector, I’m into relic hunting and am usually in the woods so the lightness and the maneuverability is as good as it gets. I preferred the Orx to getting a Deus because I’m not big on changing settings anymore than I have to. The only thing I think I lack with the Orx is the greatly expanded tone options that you have with theDeus.
That said, to be able to sometimes run the other audio settings and perhaps a couple other preset programs for the cost of a coil seems reasonable to me. I’m thinking about getting a pair of the WS-4 for this reason.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I was going to suggest asking vferrari, but he saw the thread first. I haven't used the lite myself.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did see one of Gary Blackwell's videos on the Deus ws4 phones and he does show that it will save settings. So I suppose it is possible.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did see one of Gary Blackwell's videos on the Deus ws4 phones and he does show that it will save settings. So I suppose it is possible.

Sure enough, you are right and I am wrong! I just found that video by Gary you mentioned and then finally found the brief mention of the capability in the Deus V5 user manual. You can save the custom setting (s) as a new program in a custom program slot. So that solves that issue - the only drawback is that you are still limited in which expert settings you can access via the remote but the latest update has signficantly reduced those "inaccessible" expert settings to very seldom accessed settings such as tone breakpoints and frequencies, silencer, expert notches, and audio overload. Thanks for pointing that out.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure enough, you are right and I am wrong! I just found that video by Gary you mentioned and then finally found the brief mention of the capability in the Deus V5 user manual. You can save the custom setting (s) as a new program in a custom program slot. So that solves that issue - the only drawback is that you are still limited in which expert settings you can access via the remote but the latest update has signficantly reduced those "inaccessible" expert settings to very seldom accessed settings such as tone breakpoints and frequencies, silencer, expert notches, and audio overload. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yeah no problem. I went ahead and ordered a new Deus remote due to trying to research the same thing if it would save settings or not. But that is ok because I will be able to go ahead and program the remote like I want anyways.......Wish I never sold my other deus set up but anyways, you live and learn!!!

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Orx and to me it’s very nearly the ideal detector, I’m into relic hunting and am usually in the woods so the lightness and the maneuverability is as good as it gets. I preferred the Orx to getting a Deus because I’m not big on changing settings anymore than I have to. The only thing I think I lack with the Orx is the greatly expanded tone options that you have with theDeus.
That said, to be able to sometimes run the other audio settings and perhaps a couple other preset programs for the cost of a coil seems reasonable to me. I’m thinking about getting a pair of the WS-4 for this reason.

Yes the ORX is a great detector for sure. It was my first XP machine too. I love mine!!

My original idea was to just get the WS4 set up to have as a Back Up Unit. But I am just going to go ahead and get another Deus remote. Will get the WS4 set up later on.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a WS-4 on the way. I asked if they could update to latest version if they are not already but they said they couldn’t ( wouldn’t)
Whatever. Could always find someone with the remote nearby at some point.
Will use it like an accessory like when I feel like hunting by tones alone, and to have access to the other programs Deus has.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It should already have the current update if you bought it new.

Squiggs80

Apr 8, 2019
U.S.A
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter tracker IV
Tesero Silver Umax
Garret AT Pro
Garret AT pro pointer
Excalibur II very very soon
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey all, I had gotten a steal on a dues lite about a year ago. Prior to that I had a few Teseros, Minelabs at pro, fisher, and of course the bounty hunter tracker IV. Also picked up the Nox 600 not to long ago( after using the XP I only use the 600 in water). I actually have grown very fond of the lite and have since updated to 9" and 11" deus comp setup with controller. IT Honestly is a whole new machine with the controller and have learned more with it then I have from any other machine I own. The great thing about the XP DEUS is sometimes I dont feel like dealing with all the settings and having extra stuff I have to carry in the field.. so I just grab the puck and detector and use the lite. You can't go wrong with 1 detector that is actually. I've been trying other detectors simplex and others. I know where is a learning curve with all units even for 50yr veterans of the life style, but after every hunt I feel like I've missed or didnt detect everything I should have and always kick myself for not using my Deus. DOES anyone else have that problem if they dont use thier XP? ALL other units just seem to not have the capability/depth/clarity/ and hell the weight of the XP and just cant find any other detector that makes me feel like I've done the best i can searching an area.. just wish they would allow any wireless headphones/ earbuds to connect not just theirs. Let me know what y'all think. Thanks for letting me chime in

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deus is the detector I keep "going back to". I like the Orx but it is still missing some necessary features for the way I hunt. I like the Equinox for it's versatility and salt beach capabilities and it's performance from a speed and ability to handle iron perspective is a close rival to Deus. But if forced to go with just one detector - Deus for me. Relic hunting - the 9" HF coil is great and a good all around coil because it can be operated as low as 13 khz. If I wanted deep silver it would be the X35 11" coil or Equinox and the new 3.0 update that adds 4 khz. I like the ability to go with the lite setup for detecting, but the controller really brings a lot to the table as far as setting up the detector is concerned though as discussed above, XP has made great strides in making more user settings adjustable with just the puck.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have used the WS4 with my Orx a few times now and it is a great asset. Certainly is quick to deploy in the woods. I have 4 coils to choose from. I like having more programs to work with and the increased audio options over the Orx. The Orx is set up to detect in creeks right now. I am enjoying detecting by tones alone and without the display it’s forcing me to really listen to the audio of each target. The pitch program reminds me of the f75 pitch program which I was fond of using. I won’t rule out getting a Deus remote at some point in the future but for now I’m happy using the Orx or WS4 / Deus lite setup.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the WS4 with my Orx a few times now and it is a great asset. Certainly is quick to deploy in the woods. I have 4 coils to choose from. I like having more programs to work with and the increased audio options over the Orx. The Orx is set up to detect in creeks right now. I am enjoying detecting by tones alone and without the display it’s forcing me to really listen to the audio of each target. The pitch program reminds me of the f75 pitch program which I was fond of using. I won’t rule out getting a Deus remote at some point in the future but for now I’m happy using the Orx or WS4 / Deus lite setup.

To be clear RM what you are saying is that you are using the WS4 standalone with the coils that came with your Orx, the WS4's don't work with the Orx controller - just don't want to confuse folks out there into thinking the WS4's work with the Orx controller. Just as the Orx backphones don't work with the Deus controller.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes v this is what I’m doing. I had 2 complete Orx units but sold only the remote and WS Audio headphones from one of them when I bought the WS4 headphones so now I effectively have one Orx and one Deus Lite sharing 4 coils.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a Deus controller coming bc I want to be able to exploit the fullest potential of my equipment, although I expec I will in the long run mostly favor the Deus lite mode and the Orx bc I’m at heart a turn on and go guy especially when my detecting time is very limited- like stopping on the way home from work. Not sure my reasoning justifies the investment but time will tell.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will get spoiled having the deus remote. I must admit that I am spoiled as well.
There are some things about it that is better than the ORX remote. Like going back and
forth with the plus and minus buttons between programs. And the pinpoint feature is quicker.

You will miss the large target ID screen and iron probability bar.

But the horse shoe diagram is great as you can get a sense of how deep a target is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread