Running a XP Deus for years, thinking about the Equinox 800 to go with Deus

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those were typically silver plated copper - that's a $250 button. Nice!

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a very, very nice button. What I have noticed is every time a different machine goes over the same spot, more stuff comes out. A couple years ago I went to a park, a rarity for me, a local club pounds. None of those guys uses a Deus, not then at least, I'm not sure now but they are fairly rare around here. There were remnants of dig holes everywhere. I pulled out several silvers, an 1864 Indian, and about $4 in change in about an hour and a half until I got bored. I have gone behind myself with a different machine, same thing happens.

And then you can go back with the Deus and a different program. That's one of the great things about that machine is that it is so configurable. At the same time, that may be its worst feature for many but if you learn what everything does, you can work in all sorts of situations (bottlecaps aside... sigh...)

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those were typically silver plated copper - that's a $250 button. Nice!

correct sir!

never saw one like mine with 13 reg t on bottom

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s a button for the First Regiment of US Infantry (US with a Roman Numeral I on top) during the War of 1812. Not sure what the “13” or whatever it is stands for, could be some other sort of sub-unit but that doesn’t really make sense in the context of how the Regiments were organized at that time (typically, lettered companies).

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Own both and I have not picked up the deus in two years . For me the 800 is more simple and I find stuff every time I go out . I have found good things with the deus but BC drive me nuts on the thing . I know ...Wiggle back for the iron buzz . More noise than I care for but is light as a feather . I can swing it all day . The 800 I can go maybe four hours and I am done but I am about done with digging by then also .

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Killing it and learning it...

Well after a few times out with the NOX 800 everything you all have said is right on point. However I do think the NOX may separate a little better with the 6" coil then the Deus with the Elliptical which is what I have. I have been running the Deus at 30K and 80K and the NOX will hit every target the Deus will and even call iron on some targets the Deus calls non-ferrous and the NOX was correct when target was out of the ground. The thing that is getting me is the VDI numbers the scale is to small so gold rings are the same as many other targets. That is good because you will dig a ton more things that you thought you knew better with on the Deus. I do believe thinking you know what's under your coil 24/7 has made me miss great targets. So I am using the NOX 800 with the 6 inch coil more than the Deus these days. Program field 2 has been my go to with speed set @ 7-8 and F2 @ 2-3 sens @ 21-25 normally 6 inch coil on and killing it in places that have been POUNDED by many

20200915_161033.jpg
20200923_192842-01.jpeg
20200914_202843.jpg

Attachments

• 20200915_174103.jpg
    20200915_174103.jpg
    1,011.8 KB · Views: 45

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after a few times out with the NOX 800 everything you all have said is right on point. However I do think the NOX may separate a little better with the 6" coil then the Deus with the Elliptical which is what I have. I have been running the Deus at 30K and 80K and the NOX will hit every target the Deus will and even call iron on some targets the Deus calls non-ferrous and the NOX was correct when target was out of the ground. The thing that is getting me is the VDI numbers the scale is to small so gold rings are the same as many other targets. That is good because you will dig a ton more things that you thought you knew better with on the Deus. I do believe thinking you know what's under your coil 24/7 has made me miss great targets. So I am using the NOX 800 with the 6 inch coil more than the Deus these days. Program field 2 has been my go to with speed set @ 7-8 and F2 @ 2-3 sens @ 21-25 normally 6 inch coil on and killing it in places that have been POUNDED by many

Don't be afraid to crank F2 up to the default of 6 or even higher. You will get more solid ferrous indications on the iffy ferrous targets and still very little chance of masking of adjacent non-ferrous and almost zero chance a non-ferrous will be ID'd as ferrous.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you do some testing with the 6" coil. I was surprised to find that about 3" below the coil that the target needs to be about 1-1 1/2" in from the coil's edge to get a response. In other words the coil acts more like a 3" coil than a 6" coil. It makes overlapping your sweeps much more important to not miss targets. I found the coil to act almost like a concentric in that respect.

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make sure you do some testing with the 6" coil. I was surprised to find that about 3" below the coil that the target needs to be about 1-1 1/2" in from the coil's edge to get a response. In other words the coil acts more like a 3" coil than a 6" coil. It makes overlapping your sweeps much more important to not miss targets. I found the coil to act almost like a concentric in that respect.

very interesting
thank you

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I miss my Arado 120... grin
Thinking of upgrading to a 800 or Deus. Not worried about water use as I use the Dual Field and a CZ-21 in that department. Most of my turf hunting now is with the MXT300.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both detectors are great

OP
OP
austin_luker

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes they are, and both work very well together.
My relic set up since I am in the north east we have some old stuff in the ground
XP Deus with elliptical running @ 74Khz recovery speed 3/4 depending on iron present start off with the "hot" program
2 tones disc @12
sens 85/95
manual ground balance

Nox 800
Field 1/2
sens 25
50 tones
F2 - 2
recovery speed 6/7
6" coil and the 11" inch however I have been killing it with the 6 inch

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions