Looking for a way to breathe with out any diving equipment in shallow waters

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What it is called is "Spare Air". It holds enough air for 5 - 15 breaths depending on the person. We don't even carry them in my shop (I work in a dive shop), but you would probably need to be certified to buy one anywhere.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hola Boricua,

that little yellow bottle that you are talking about is only for emergency....you would need to attach to a diving tank a hose with a stage 1 and 2 or buy a brownie hookah system....Do a google serch for "Brownie hookah system" Encontrastes algo en la islita?

Saludos,

Chagy....

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Pony bottle. Only for a short period.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
take a really good snorkel and hook it up to a garden hose and use a radiator clamp it together run up to a boat and have some one up there to keep the hose from falling

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
The only bad part about the snorkel and hose is that you may not be able to expel all of the air in the length of the hose, and in essence you would be breathing back in the expelled CO2. It would be like breathing in a bag.

If you do this, you would need to have a backflow preventer, so that when you exhaled, it would push out the purge valve.

Just my opinion. I have actually thought about this same method using a weighted float so you could pull it along as you swim. It would not be good to continually breather the same air over and over.

Good Luck,

Robert

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep! Just what we need is one more bloated corpse at the end of a garden hose. Go with SCUBA or a surface supplied air system, and I won’t give you my "Get Certified" speech for fear of bringing out the anti-establishment "but it’s just shallow water, and I do it down by the creek all the time" types.
The bottle you are talking about is called many things “Pony Bottle”, “Spare Air”, “HEEDS Bottle”, and I am sure a host of other commercial names, sizes and configurations. I own a couple of them for emergency use on deeper dives, and have used them to change the lights in the swimming pool. I got about 5 minutes out of one bottle in the pool, and was skip breathing.

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
RGecy said:
The only bad part about the snorkel and hose is that you may not be able to expel all of the air in the length of the hose, and in essence you would be breathing back in the expelled CO2. It would be like breathing in a bag.

If you do this, you would need to have a backflow preventer, so that when you exhaled, it would push out the purge valve.

Just my opinion. I have actually thought about this same method using a weighted float so you could pull it along as you swim. It would not be good to continually breather the same air over and over.

Good Luck,

Robert
Robert I assure you that breathing the same air is not gonna be a problem. Here is to reasons why:

1: Water pressure will squeeze the hose flat and you wont be able to breathe at all
2: If the hose is rigid enough and not pressed flat the water pressure on your lungs will make it impossible to breathe.

/V

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
When I was a kid we tried a snorkel/pvc pipe combination. Worked great testing it with our body out of the water. But at only 5-6 feet underwater, it was damn difficult to expand our lungs enough to draw air in. There are fairly inexpensive 12-volt hookah systems available out there but I've never been brave enough to try one.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Thanks for the input guys. I figured it would work down to around 8-10', but yes, the pressure exerted on your lungs would still be pretty significant.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
heck guys i am frpm missouri i dirt dig not water dig i used the snorkrel and hose to shag golf balls it worked unless you had a smart a$$ on the bank bending the hose or putting a golf ball on the brass part not much diving in my area unless looking for some one lostin the water most of the lakes and rivers muddy around here unless you go to table rock ,truman dam,or lake of the ozarks or smithville lake

OP
OP
Delwin79

Delwin79

Dec 25, 2008
Yabucoa
Thank you guys ...Your answers are ver helpfull Ill keep searching especially in google and ebay .. and chagy no...no he encontrado nada todavia en la Isla ..no no I have not found anything yet in the Island

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Delwin79,

Hi. For all that it's worth it's best to take a scuba course for any type of water penetration, breathing from any device including a hookah system. There are many hidden dangerous with breathing air at any distance underwater (minus a snorkel, ones not down far enough to cause lung damage).

I've been scuba diving off and on for several years and decided to take the refresher course. What a surprise all that I remembered but it doesn't hurt to hear it again.

Good luck.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the old days before scuba or masks were invented.They used 2 gallon clear glass fishbowls.Just get one that fits your head.they are cheep.like $12.00

Attachments

• fishbowlmask.jpg
    fishbowlmask.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 695

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
FISHEYE said:
In the old days before scuba or masks were invented.They used 2 gallon clear glass fishbowls.Just get one that fits your head.they are cheep.like $12.00

But then you would have to change your login handle to: goldfish ;)

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the potential help given other than getting surface supplied air or SCUBA gear...and training is only going to get you seriously hurt. I didn't say certification...for what you are doing somebody who's really knows what they are doing could give you the training. You can embolize in 3' of water just as bad as you can in 8-10'. The water pressure around you prevents you from inflating your lungs when trying to suck in the air. Why do you think they make most of the snorkels similar length. The diameter of the snorkel is also important. If you are a big person, large lung capacity, and are working hard it's possible to over breathe the snorkel's capacity because of its diameter thus creating a C02 build up and becoming unconscious. Not good to do in the water. Running around a track trying to breathe out of a straw is the same thing. In that example it's easy to see you can't do it as it's a function of the diameter of the breathing device and how much air can be exchanged. Jim

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Another possibility for shallow work is using a hookah length hose with conventional regulators and floating your tank in a raft or buoy. Then you can go on about your business unencumbered with just a weight belt and mask. This strays from the topic a little bit, but may be a an ideal solution under the right conditions.

Stan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread