detector choice

UNCLENICK

Dec 8, 2009
NorCal Foothills
Hi, I'm looking for help choosing a underwater detector. I will also be doing some beach hunting too. I would like to spend around $700, kellyco seems to be a decent way to go. I just dont know from choosing either a Pi, or a Vlf. I have heard great things about the Sea hunter 2, and Tigershark. I like the depth rating on both, even though i wont be down that far, it is still a nice thing to have. The Tesoro has a lifetime warr, which is good. The only thing is, are both really pre set loud? It isnt a huge deal, I dont know if they make volume adjusting headphones. Any help is greatly appriciated!!! Safe diving, and hh

Nick

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I always wear my headphones around my neck with the volume up on my fishers 1280x aquanaut and on my j.w.fishers pulse 8. this allows me to hear what is going on around me.

pi to me is the best, you really can't discriminate with it but it gets the deep stuff. I dig everything anyway. you would be surprised what iron trash can be hiding.

hope this helps

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
SeaHunter Mk II is the best bang for the buck. It is very simple to opperate but does have some discrimination features for gold and iron. I posted a topic several years ago on how to do this.

I would have to say, its not necessarily the best for beach hunting, but certainly one of the deepest PI detectors. If you are using it primarily for beach hunting, I would look to another unit, but you will end up spending more money.

Good Luck and hope that helps,

Robert

carl fismer

Jun 23, 2007
In my opinion Pulse Induction is the best thing that has happened to us since the Metal Detector. I have recovered thousands of Treasure Coins using the J.W. Fisher Pulse 8X. No head phones, no bone phone, just using the meter. You have to pay attention. I used to give classes at some dive shops, and it really pissed off the bureaucrats. Capt. Carl Fismer

wizzo86

Sep 6, 2009
maryland
Detector(s) used
J.W. fisher pulse 8 /garrett freemom 3/ minilab extera 705
The J W Fisher pulse 8 is the way to go (PI detector). More money than you want to spend though. You can find a used one on E bay usually under 800.00. no discrimination as perviously stated but gets all the deep stuff!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread