scuba diving wrecks

Jul 2, 2010
Hi. I plan to visit the great state of Florida in a few weeks to practice scuba diving. I know it is ok to dive wrecks but are there locations off limits? Which would be the best to check out? Going to be on the central east coast area or maybe the Keys. Haven't made up my mind yet. Have a boat and traveling from Texas. Any help or advise greatly appericated. Thank You. Tom

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
You should be fine assuming you're in an area with no government or millitary installations. Usually you have to stay beyond 500 feet of the installation's border if that's the case.

Of course, a local dive shop should give you all the local information you'll need depending on where you're going. I know of a few freshwater areas where scuba is off limits due to historically sensitive sites but nearly all of those are in the northern and western part of the state.

Have a safe trip.

Pcola

ArmyDiver

Jun 8, 2010
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The visibility in central Florida is crap. Stick with the keys. There are tons of artificial reefs sunk there. A few of my favorites are right there in Key Largo. Their GPS locations as well as lists of other dive sites and wrecks can easily be found with a Google search or two. Most wrecks you'll need to be at least Advanced Open Water certified. They're deeper wrecks (120+). Stay safe and have fun! Also, much of the keys is protected and requires permits to dive. Stop at a dive shop in the keys and get yourself the required stuff to dive there. It's not expensive and it'll save you a lot of headache.

Enjoy!

slipscomb

May 18, 2010
West Point, Virginia
ArmyDiver said:
The visibility in central Florida is crap. Stick with the keys. There are tons of artificial reefs sunk there. A few of my favorites are right there in Key Largo. Their GPS locations as well as lists of other dive sites and wrecks can easily be found with a Google search or two. Most wrecks you'll need to be at least Advanced Open Water certified. They're deeper wrecks (120+). Stay safe and have fun! Also, much of the keys is protected and requires permits to dive. Stop at a dive shop in the keys and get yourself the required stuff to dive there. It's not expensive and it'll save you a lot of headache.

Enjoy!

INDEED! One of my favorites and where I got my Advanced Open Water cert done as well as deep, wreck and penetrations done on the Speigel Grove! That wreck has changed CONCIDERABLY since it was originally sunk as an Artificial Reef! Good Luck on you future dives!

Sean

Reef Dawg

Dec 30, 2008
Delray Beach
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse Klein Side Scan Sonar
Central Florida is like diving in soup for certain. Visibility is limited at best. When we do have to dive up there, we call it "bump and dive." LOL

There is a publication available at most Dive Shops here in South Florida and for $16.00, it's well worth it. It's called the "Boat Dive Book." It's hard to mistake as it's very plain and adorned with a Dive Flag on the front of it. It has the numbers for your GPS in it, environmental descriptions, visual references of the sites and wrecks and what to expect to see on the sites. Not fancy, but informative. It also has a sister book called "Beach and Shore Diving" which has a number of choice sites in it.

I've been diving and teaching (NAUI) in Florida now for over 30 years and another site that gives some spots off the beaten path is NOAA's site. And, they have all the Long and Lats to boot.

Have a great time down here in Florida. It's truly a unique blend of Mother Ocean.

Keep it safe,

Reef Dawg

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where exactly central?

I know it's an old post but I just had to comment...

you damn Keys divers!! ;D

Mid Atlantic is crap vis braille diving- rofl!!

But hey that's why UD's have ear bones!! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread