SCUBA Accident

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There will always be old shipwreck treasure divers but never any old cave divers.

runningafever

Oct 26, 2013
In the sea / Fl West Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad was open water certified only, and the kid had 0 scuba training/certifications. The dad never should have been in a cave and he certainly shouldn't have had his kid in any cave let alone in the Eagles Nest system. They were diving on straight air with MD of 233ft on their computers when the bodies were found. The kid was found on the ceiling of the ballroom at around 76 ft back gas empty on doubles, dad was found in 100+ ft. With proper training they would have realized that their gas was poison at that depth. The dad would/should have been charged with manslaughter had he not expired in the system. caves are no joke and the Nest is the Grand Canyon / Mt Everest of systems. Stupid and senseless on the dads part, he led that kid to his grave. Now we may all lose the ability to explore the Nest, it was taken away before, and it may very well be taken away again.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Dad was open water certified only, and the kid had 0 scuba training/certifications. The dad never should have been in a cave and he certainly shouldn't have had his kid in any cave let alone in the Eagles Nest system. They were diving on straight air with MD of 233ft on their computers when the bodies were found. The kid was found on the ceiling of the ballroom at around 76 ft back gas empty on doubles, dad was found in 100+ ft. With proper training they would have realized that their gas was poison at that depth. The dad would/should have been charged with manslaughter had he not expired in the system. caves are no joke and the Nest is the Grand Canyon / Mt Everest of systems. Stupid and senseless on the dads part, he led that kid to his grave. Now we may all lose the ability to explore the Nest, it was taken away before, and it may very well be taken away again.

That's what happened to Jacob's Well in Wimberly, Texas. Too many idiots going too deep into too many passages with too much silt. Some still have'nt been found. Hole in the river has a grate secured over it too stop diving. Been closed for many years to all but a few...

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That's what happened to Jacob's Well in Wimberly, Texas. Too many idiots going too deep into too many passages with too much silt. Some still have'nt been found. Hole in the river has a grate secured over it too stop diving. Been closed for many years to all but a few...

Very true. I dove Jacob's Well about 30 years ago. Caves are not forgiving.

Very sad preventable situation, my prayers go out to the friends & family.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Fisheye said: "There will always be old shipwreck treasure divers but never any old cave divers."

I'm an old cave diver.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was sad seeing this national headline. I never read the article but sort of knew it was going to be diver judgement that was the cause.

A few :laughing7: years ago when I was getting certified (for scuba) I had to promise my Mom I would never go cave diving.

She had heard the story of the young man on a cave dive that had wrote on his dive slate I love you Mom and Dad before his air expired. She told me that she never wanted to get a message like that...

My heart goes out to the family.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very sad and preventable story indeed. I've been open water certified since 89 and remember many of these scenarios throughout the years. Many of the local springs are now closed to all diving completely or open water divers at the minimum. I'm going for cavern training in near future after upgrading my dive gear.

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An man uncertified for cavern diving dragging his son who was uncertified for ANY sort of diving into a very dangerous cave system is almost unbelievable. Now it seems the grandfather wants the site closed by the state. The site was not the problem. The problem was unbelievable hubris on the part of the father.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
AU_Dreamers I knew that kid that scratched on his tank. Jason Tuskes was the dock boy at Weeki Wachee Marina. He was 17 years old, not certified. I used to take students out there and rent a boat at the marina. He saw my tanks and asked me to certify him. I said OK, next week. He drowned that week. That's the last time I went cave diving.

DiggItUp

Mar 9, 2013
It was sad seeing this national headline. I never read the article but sort of knew it was going to be diver judgement that was the cause. A few :laughing7: years ago when I was getting certified (for scuba) I had to promise my Mom I would never go cave diving. She had heard the story of the young man on a cave dive that had wrote on his dive slate I love you Mom and Dad before his air expired. She told me that she never wanted to get a message like that... My heart goes out to the family.

Does the Au in your name stand for Australia?

Sharecropper

Feb 27, 2009
My wife and I were open water certified in 1970. After our check-out dive on that sunken Russian freighter out from Pensacola, our graduating dive class headed inland to dive Morrison Springs. Scared the living daylights out of me. I have never been back in a cave since, and never will be. I enjoy the streams of sunlight flickering down between the coral heads on Grand Cayman too much to ever go into another cave. Just my 2 cents. Sad for the families.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I were open water certified in 1970. After our check-out dive on that sunken Russian freighter out from Pensacola, our graduating dive class headed inland to dive Morrison Springs. Scared the living daylights out of me. I have never been back in a cave since, and never will be. I enjoy the streams of sunlight flickering down between the coral heads on Grand Cayman too much to ever go into another cave. Just my 2 cents. Sad for the families.

I did my freshwater checkout dive at Morrison springs, but never entered the cave or would be allowed to for open water in 1989. It is a pretty low flow spring that is not known for having the best visibility.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread