Starfish sonar?

OP
OP
V

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
Just got a reply from the manufactor. What is the preliminary verdict from the pros?

/V

--------------------------------
Thank you for your enquiry.

Both the hardware and software for StarFish is designed to be simple and easy to use, based on the "plug and play" principles. It incorporates CHIRP technology (this dramatically improves target range resolution) and uses a centre frequency of 450KHz. The transducer horizontal beamwidth is 1.7º and the vertical beamwidth is 60º. The whole system is designed to be small and compact, the dimensions of the fish are L-380mm, W-110mm and H-100mm, the topside interface box are L-168mm, W-105mm and H-32mm. The tow cable will be 15m giving a typical depth of flight of 5m.

The range of the system is 100m per channel giving a total swathe of 200m. Customers will be supplied with the fish, a small topside interface box and the tow and power interface cables. The power requirement is mains AC (240V) or 9-28V DC. The customer should supply their own computer or laptop with a USB interface.

We are in the process of generating a datasheet I will forward this on when it is complete. We are fast tracking the delivery of 5 units these will be available for delivery in 6 weeks. We are still working on the final costing however we anticipate that the StarFish will retail around £2,000 for a complete system.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need further information

Best regards

Maurice Fraser

International Business Development
-----------------------------------------

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks like a nice setup and easy to hadle onboard too, however the price doesn't appear competitive. Is it just me or does anyone else feel like theres not much for this business made here in the US. call me tired of it!

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
coin_diver said:
Looks like a nice setup and easy to hadle onboard too, however the price doesn't appear competitive. Is it just me or does anyone else feel like theres not much for this business made here in the US. call me tired of it!

FYI. 2000 British Pounds are currently excanging at $4125.

That unit certainly has greater range than my Humminbird 987c SI unit but the definition is almost the same. My unit was only $1800 and does not require dragging a towfish - although I do plan on building one and buying the transducer extension cable from the manufacturer to get improvements on clarity and consistency in choppy water.

The only other affordable 'consumer-grade' side scan unit that I've seriously looked into was the one from Burton Electronics. http://www.burtonelectronics.com/4436.html which is $3000 for the complete high resolution package. Their product is certainly a bit unorthodox since it includes a Lowrance Fishfinder as the main processing unit and data capture. I've read some favorable comments regarding his system on other boards but I guess it's really a matter of preference.

Pcolaboy

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think I'll order a Starfish, at least (and most importantly) it has true data interface. No more data cards. I enjoy the 987c but you really need a fish for detail.

ping

Apr 6, 2005
Vancouver BC
The starfish is from tritech, which is a reputable company in the marine technology business.

The starfish operates at a very high frequency, 475khz, meaning the range will be limited compared to other professional sidescan units. The beamwidth of 1.7 degrees is poor compared to professional units that usually have a beamwidth of less than one degree, meaning the focus and resolution of the images is degraded from a professional quality unit such as GeoAcoustics, EdgeTech etc.

100 meter range per side is possible at this frequency, but that will definitely be the limit. In many water conditions the range will be somewhat less than that number.

However, the price is extremely low. This is a case of 'you get what you pay for'.

Keep in mind that you will need to capture and process the data from the towfish. Ask what, if any, visualization and processing software is included.

Ciao
P

blacksambellamy

Jun 4, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
JW fishers pulse 8x
I rented the starfish this past summer for about $400 a week. I liked it so much i purchased it after the first week. Very easy to use. I would say purchase the whole package sonar,pilican box and gps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread