Weights for Surf/Near Shore? How much is enough?

cathexis

Sep 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy,

Hope I'm putting this in the right forum but I figure diving weights are on-topic here regardless of the water they're used in.

So I want to use my Excal. II to work from high tide mark into the surf and slightly beyond (you know that shallow, quieter water
just a little further out). Say about tippy-toe or less. But I don't want to be dragged in & out by every wave which is what
happened to me last year at Delaware whenever I got a hit in ANY water over a few inches. I pretty much gave up and just
worked the shoreline. No wetsuit, just MD, equip. belt, scoop or other such device, mask & snorkel - if needed. Plus good diving
gloves & harder-soled diving boots. On the other hand, it seems that wading in surf with 40# on means I'll either tire out fast
or slowly get sunk into the sand never to be seen again. Not all beaches have crashing waves every day and in calmer waters
this idea might work better perhaps?

I guess I'm asking; Can I rig a dive belt & weights to anchor better in the surf and/or near shore? If so, how much weight?
I'm not heedless of other concerns like safety, I just want to stand up to *some* surf and be able to go bottoms up if I need
to check out a nice hit without getting beat up like a rented mule!

I know the usual calc is 10% of body weight but I'm not trying for neutral buoyancy 8 meters deep and have no intention of
going anywhere near that depth or wearing any kind of wetsuit. Strength & Health are OK. Any help, thoughts out there?

TIA,

Cathexis

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dry suit divers use "ankle weights" to keep them heads up. You might try that.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
We use a weight belt and suspenders to keep the load distributed on our hookah divers. It seems to work ok. I'd start with something like that. I have no idea how much weight you'd need to keep you anchored. but I'd start with 5%, remembering that if you are wearing a bunch of weight and step off in a hole or get knocked down by a 'sneaker' wave it may be damned hard to get back to your feet. It IS possible to drown in a couple of feet of water.
Stay safe. Good luck.

sonofdust

Jan 30, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use two, two lb. ankle weight to keep my butt from floating. You can pick up some where you can add more weight as needed.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Use trial and error method; start light and increase to your preference.
Weight requirement is a function of wave height, current, your weight, etc.
Practice, practice, practice the quick release of your weight belt.
Don.......

seadoodiver

Apr 23, 2010
Fort Myers Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would recommend some trial and error, but I like to be on the heavy side. That way when your in position the current and tidal surge wont effect you as much. All you need to do is add some extra air to your BCD to compensate when you have to move, but when you want to be planted in one spot, let the air out and the extra weight will help keep you in place. It becomes a problem when you enter and exit the water.

OP
OP
C

cathexis

Sep 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all who replied. I welcome any others to reply as well. I won't be using BCD.
It sounds like the consensus is trial & error (nothing wrong with that) and I think I'd
interpret that as start with ankle weights but go up to belt weights as conditions warrant.
Also, make sure everything is quick-detach. I weigh about 210 so I'd figure 4# ankle &
carry a belt with maybe 10 or 12#. Since I won't be but a hop from shore I don't have
to lug everything but can easily exit for more gear/weight if needed.

Now I just need my floating dive knife for fighting in case some of Largo's men from "Thunderball" try to jack my treasure finds!
Anybody remember him?

knife.jpg

Cathexis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread