• 6 inch MEG 1.JPG
    6 inch MEG 1.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 555

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
Awesome MEG teeth, Where did you come across those?

Interested in getting rid of any?

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I'm not exactly sure how the Excalibur's shaft is configured but I have made a few specialized shafts out of PVC pipe and even one out of square aluminum tubing available at Home Depot. Certainly much cheaper to make your own than buying IMHO.

Pcola

OP
OP
wilkere

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Silver Sabre
Pcolaboy,
Thanks for that PVC tip, that should work out pretty easily all I need is a short type wand and rig the electronic stuff on my vest! Great Idea!

OP
OP
wilkere

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Re: Meg Teeth

There are 2 areas here in eastern N.C. to get big $ teeth. Diving off of Wilmington about 10 miles out and at 110ft along the ledges on the ocean bottom. Or, at the Aurora PCS Mine. Those pictures are of one and the other. Getting in the mine is not too difficult once or twice a season if you join a club. This is a good one!
http://www.megalodon.net

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Great finds! They look like they could easily bring $500+ each! Are they 6-6.5 inches looks like?

We dont have to dive quite so deep (25-35') here to find the fossil beds! But you give up the visibility! Ever go Braille diving?

RGecy

OP
OP
wilkere

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Beaufort Meg Teeth Diving

Thanks for the post!, I always wonder how you guys are working Beaufort S.C. I used to live there but the hobbies were different then, never knew about the teeth and wasn't dived qualed but did read alot of Spence's books. You guys still getting CW stuff out of the river near Coosawahachie?

Are there a lot of ledges off the coast of Beaufort or are a lot of teeth coming up from the river bottom? I've done some river stuff here when the water is cool vis in the late fall is good at 5' or more. working up the skills for Braille diving the Cape Fear one day but not many divers have interest in that type of work.

Bob

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
All of the teeth here are found in the rivers. Pretty much Braille diving all year long in the rivers. I have had a few times where vis gets up to 10' in the dead of winter with 45 degree water.

Yep, still finding CW artifacts near Coosawhatchie! I don't dive up that way but have been wanting to for some time. Few buddies have worked it in the past. Lots of good bottle sites! Also some great Revolutionary sites up near Edisto I have been wanting to dive. There is a settlement there that dates back to around 1700 right on the river. Lots of Onion bottles have been pulled up from there.

RGecy

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
wilkere,
I have the aluminum "balancer" as they called it, which I got from KellyCo. I love it. It shortens it to less than three feet and has a plate that covers the knobs from problems with losing them (which I have seen happen to many on our boat) and from accidental changes in settings. Wasn't cheap, $150. I bought my detector about a year ago and sent it back about 2 weeks ago and just received a replacement. There was mucho water damage.

By the way, I have friends who were diving in Wellington for teeth last week, on their way up to dive Hatteras and the U-boats, the captian (Capt. Tom Collins) is booked over a year in advance. I couldn't make it this year.

Diverlynn

OP
OP
wilkere

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
That's always the problem, sometimes the research isn't too hard to figure out. But always hard to find the time, buddies, weather and get there even when it's close by. I heard of a local farmer tossing shells in the Coosawhatchie back in the 70's when he'd pick them up in the field. One of the big CW shops in Atlanta told me the stories on how they'd drive down and pick up the shallow water bonazana just walking in the mud. Downtown Wilmington is a great bottle area but not many have ventured into its murky depths. Some who have, have been rewarded with CW era plantation bottles but vowed not to go back.
http://www.okinawarelics.com

Attachments

• dive photos 008.jpg
    dive photos 008.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 481
OP
OP
wilkere

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Diverlynn,
Yeh I know what you mean about the excalibur being kinda fragile, I've sent mine back cuz of the knobs. (Plus the wife cut the cords on the unit when she was mad and me for something) >:( I'll try the PVC pipe first as I'm a bucks down kinda diver! :-[
I've been on Captain Tom's boat once, He's got lots of spots to go and goes all year round. He's a small boat operator which is good if you got a just a few divers wanting to go together. However the ride can be rough cuz of the smaller boat. The bigger operators out of Wilmington have good GPS numbers too espically Cape Fear Divers. Aquatics safaris runs a real professional charter and shop. Both take 15 or so out so getting on is pretty easy. Problem is when you have that many divers out in one place the competition for the big teeth can be fierce in one location.
Bob

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not sure how the ex coil attaches to your shaft,kellyco doesnt sell just the plastic piece and thier short shafts are way over priced. all that piece of plastic is,is the bottom end of a bimini top pole.i had a bunch of tore up bimini tops here so i cut the bottom plastic pieces off,and pop riveted them to 18" carbon fiber shafts and put bicycle handle grips on them.this looks a little more pro than the harry home owner pvc model.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
wilkere said:
That's always the problem, sometimes the research isn't too hard to figure out. But always hard to find the time, buddies, weather and get there even when it's close by. I heard of a local farmer tossing shells in the Coosawhatchie back in the 70's when he'd pick them up in the field. One of the big CW shops in Atlanta told me the stories on how they'd drive down and pick up the shallow water bonazana just walking in the mud. Downtown Wilmington is a great bottle area but not many have ventured into its murky depths. Some who have, have been rewarded with CW era plantation bottles but vowed not to go back.

As I understand it, there was a plantation up near Coosawhatchie where they recently found a small cache of silver coins and a bronze cannon while doing an archaeological survey. Just goes to show you there's still alot out there to be found!

Robert

NC_Bob

Mar 9, 2007
WNC
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
wilkere said:
Yeh I know what you mean about the excalibur being kinda fragile, I've sent mine back cuz of the knobs. (Plus the wife cut the cords on the unit when she was mad and me for something) >:( I'll try the PVC pipe first as I'm a bucks down kinda diver! :-[

Bob,
There's gotta be a story in there...

The dive shaft for the excal is essentially identical to the full shaft except the tube portion is only ~8" long. I haven't taken the full shaft apart, but I was trying some different configurations with mine and found that the dive shaft pops apart quite easily. The coil end cracked out with a sharp twist and smelled like it had been tacked with crazy glue, and the spring clip comes out by jiggling a wire loop behind the non-button side and then tugging while you depress the button. Pic at end if it attaches OK. So if you could find the correct diameter PVC pipe you could use swap out the hardware you already have and make a custom-length shaft to use the rest of the arm mount.

Drop me a PM if you'd like to go diving sometime. I'm in Asheville about 6 hours away and cape fear is pretty much my closest NC ocean. Been away from scuba for a few months and completely away from Tnet for even longer, but the projects that have been demanding all my time are done so I'm itching to get back in the water. Did a blackwater day with Robert last year, so I'm even up for that if it's not too psycho.

Bob.

Attachments

• excal-short.jpg
    excal-short.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 402
OP
OP
wilkere

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
NC_Bob said:
wilkere said:

Bob,
Drop me a PM if you'd like to go diving sometime. I'm in Asheville about 6 hours away and cape fear is pretty much my closest NC ocean. Been away from scuba for a few months and completely away from Tnet for even longer, but the projects that have been demanding all my time are done so I'm itching to get back in the water. Did a blackwater day with Robert last year, so I'm even up for that if it's not too psycho.

Bob.

Hey Bob, are you interested in a Meg Ledge out of Wilmington with Cape Fear Divers on the 25th of July? It's at 110ft and should be 2 dives on the ledges for teeth and probably a shipwreck on the way back in?

bob
www.okinawarelics.com

NC_Bob

Mar 9, 2007
WNC
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
wilkere said:
Hey Bob, are you interested in a Meg Ledge out of Wilmington with Cape Fear Divers on the 25th of July? It's at 110ft and should be 2 dives on the ledges for teeth and probably a shipwreck on the way back in?

PMd reply - absolutely!
Thanks,
Bob.

XT18000

May 26, 2008
BOB
I have a dive shaft like you are looking for that I have no use for; if you want it e-mail me
and let me know. You can have it for free. This is only the short section and not the whole shaft.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread