Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Videos!

Now I'm curious--does the Ace ID more accurately in relic mode or all metal during the same test?

OP
OP
Coinzapper

Coinzapper

Dec 7, 2008
Lansford. PA.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Modified, Tesoro Tejon. Garrett 1500, Fisher CoinStrike, Tek G2, tek omega.
The thing is not if the Ace ID's better in whatever mode your in, the issue is Iron Masking. Even if there is no trash in the area of a coin, if the coin is deep or in the ground for many years, it can give the machine an inacurate signal; not all the time. So just imagine if there is an iron object near the coin, and furthermore in the soil, the Ace will have a hard time separating the the iron from the silver or good targets and also have a hard time giving you the strong good signal. Thank for the question.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinzapper said:
The thing is not if the Ace ID's better in whatever mode your in, the issue is Iron Masking. Even if there is no trash in the area of a coin, if the coin is deep or in the ground for many years, it can give the machine an inacurate signal; not all the time. So just imagine if there is an iron object near the coin, and furthermore in the soil, the Ace will have a hard time separating the the iron from the silver or good targets and also have a hard time giving you the strong good signal. Thank for the question.

So regardless of the mode the Ace is operating in, it will still ID a silver coin incorrectly?

OP
OP
Coinzapper

Coinzapper

Dec 7, 2008
Lansford. PA.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Modified, Tesoro Tejon. Garrett 1500, Fisher CoinStrike, Tek G2, tek omega.
BuckleElf said:
Coinzapper said:

So regardless of the mode the Ace is operating in, it will still ID a silver coin incorrectly?

I did not say it would ID a silver coin incorrectly. Most of the time, if the coin is within good range, lets say 5-7 inches and there is no iron or foil within 5 to 7 inches, it will produce the disired signal. But, if there is a bit of iron near by the coin, only a seasoned detectorist will be able to hear subtle tones and changes in the tones from cross examinations and knowing how His or Hers Ace functions to it's fullest capacity.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinzapper said:
BuckleElf said:
Coinzapper said:

I did not say it would ID a silver coin incorrectly. Most of the time, if the coin is within good range, lets say 5-7 inches and there is no iron or foil within 5 to 7 inches, it will produce the disired signal. But, if there is a bit of iron near by the coin, only a seasoned detectorist will be able to hear subtle tones and changes in the tones from cross examinations and knowing how His or Hers Ace functions to it's fullest capacity.

Thanks for your reply. I was indeed referring to the iron masking. Of course the Ace will ID coins correctly in a non-iron-infested environment.

I was just curious because one of my team uses the machine. I sent him a link to your post, because this is information he needs to know.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice video and mods.

I have owned a couple Tejon machines and liked them a lot.

The one thing I noted with Tejon is air tests are much different than buried in the ground tests.

For instance, iron on the surface will discriminate very well but the same iron piece with the same setting will often sound off when buried.

I use settings very close to yours. I've dug hundreds of small square nails that sounded exactly like deep silver coins and even brass buttons.

Really, all air tests are good for is---to discover a detector's maximum depth potential. No detector can go deeper in the ground than its air distance. The depth is a matter of the detectors potential depth (air test distance) minus ground and target conditions.

If a target is deeper than a metal detectors air test distance there is no way that detector can detect that target. Such targets if found are usually found because the hunter actually detected something else near that item and ended up digging that item by accident. Many mega deep small coins and buttons are found each year because someone dug a deep iron nail that sounded like a coin at that depth. In retrieving that nail he discovers the coin and will forever think he detected that coin.

Rule:

Deep iron can sound like silver and deep silver can sound like iron.

The secret the big finders have learned is that the good finds that still are out there in "hunted out" locations are very deep or on edge or masked by iron.

In the case of masked by iron usually the only option is to use all-metal and dig everything.

In the case of deep coins the options are to listen for barely audible broken non-ferrous signals or dig those tiny all-metal ticks or crackles and hope it's not a tiny piece of foil or tin (which it usually is).

I dug an indian cent one day with my Tejon that was over 10 inches deep. I was running it on maximum sensitivity and listening for those right sounds coming through all the chatter and noise. Suddenly I heard that ultra weak mellow sound that probably 99% would ignore. Just a tiny little whisper. That's how I found that indian at 10 inches. Otherwise a Tejon will only find pennies down to about 8 inches deep.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread