Questioning Free Speech Here!

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I want to know why discussions of subjects such as Dowsing, Remote Sensing and Long Range Locating are not permitted on this forum. I am not a believer, but I certainly think that anyone interested in this area should be able to post his/her opinions, stories, advice, etc. on this forum. If you feel that the shipwreck subject area should not be the place for it, then create a new category. Even my old friend Pegleg, (Rest His Soul) paid attention to this subject and gave credence to the unmentionable Dell Winders. Pegleg was controversial, challenging, and above all interesting. He would probably be very disappointed that this forum would ban FREE SPEECH. I would like to know if there are others among our 23,000 members who feel the same way.
Aquanut

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Aquanut:
If you scan down the roster of subjects you find, among many others, one entitled Dowsing that, at last count, had 8,904 posts concerning 384 topics. There are several other threads where the subjects you mentioned could also be voiced.
Enjoy,
Don....

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I've seen Marc basically tell folks to go to their local park to exercise freedom of speech. I do understand the principles that visiting this site is a priviledge not a right. But I also know that if enough people get axed because they spoke their mind here or anywhere else, opportunity for true competition on another site can be fostered.

Having said that, I think Marc runs an excellent board and that is the reason why I became a paying member. We need to keep in mind however, that it's the users that create and consume the content on the forum.

Pcola

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Marc isn't against free speech. He's against the degrading attacks that inevitably came with LRL (and other) discussions, resulting in many people leaving the forum. He gave them 2nd, 3rd and many chances beyond, but the result was always the same. He had to make a call and stick with it...a few rules to serve the greater good. If it were my forum, I'd do the same.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
aquanut said:
.... Pegleg was controversial, challenging, and above all interesting. He would probably be very disappointed that this forum would ban FREE SPEECH.
Aquanut

I don't equate requiring topics to be placed in their appropriate forums with a lack of free speech. If one wants to talk about bottles, go to the Bottles forum. If religion is the topic, go to the Religion forum. If you have an interest in dowsing/LRL, then just go to that forum. No one is saying you can't discuss it, just not here.*

If you go to Dowsing and start a shipwreck/diving topic, guess what, it'll get moved to Shipwrecks.

Free Speech isn't banned, it's just organized :icon_sunny:

Jay

* Update. This thread was moved from Shipwrecks to Dowsing. This response was written when it was still in Shipwrecks.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Aquanut, I know how you feel but dowsing, remote sensing and long range locating ARE permitted on this forum. There is a category specially marked as "Dowsing" for that subject. The moderators just don't want to mix politics, religion and dowsing on the shipwrecks thread.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Read Me First
Posted Jun 05, 2005, 11:32:18 AM
This forum is limited to the discussion of simple, inexpensive (or FREE!) devices and techniques. That means NO discussion of electrical devices of any kind.? Feel free to discuss L-rods, Spanish dip needles, map dowsing, and other dowsing related subjects.

Because of past experience with similar forums, I will not have much patience in the forum, so if you veer off topic you just might find your post deleted and your permissions restricted. If you have some constructive information to share about dowsing then great, feel free to post!!? ?If you want to post just to toot your own horn or to sneak in links to your long range locator website, then beware - I am ready to ban you! PERMANENTLY!

Thanks,
Marc Austin
[email protected]

Real simple to understand the rules…Art

Tim Williams

Dec 24, 2005
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Arc-Geo Logger-TM-808-Garrett XL500-Deepstar
Well as I remember it there is one person that causes problems here. He uses fake names and insults people that ask questions about dowsing. He has been kicked off this forum at least 4-5 times all using fake names. That because he does not want his real name trashed. . Because of the problems he causes caused LRL's are not permitted. I don't blame Mark at all for stopping harassment and sometimes slander. He uses a remailer on google and basically talks to himself. The problem is he thinks he is the only one that knows dowsing and wants to prove it.

Tim

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Thank you all for your responses. I was responding to some posts I read on the shipwreck forum and "Jumped the Gun" with my response.
Next time I'll do a little research and stifle my opinion until I have a real grip on the situation. Since I personally don't deal with dowsing etc. I never even paid any attention to the fact that it was, in fact being responsibly discussed here. Please accept my embarrassed apology!
Aquanut

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida
yeah, yeah, yeah, i understand all your points...and not to beet a dead horse or add some creative explanation as to what aquanut was saying , however, suppose you are discussing the location of a shipwreck using the dowsing method...HMMMM

Is that not a combination of the to topics if not a crossing of paths at least....
then what....just curious...not trying to agitate but instead alleviate any future potential for mistake...

Sincerely..................................Limo BOB

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks dell !

Question ;

Dell I don't remember MFD must have been before my time.
Not to get into That.

Quote:

April 18, 2002, a group of proud and happy Treasure Hunters, posted their historic find of several million dollars of Spanish Gold, along with photos, on TNET.

The post & photo's are not there. Fortunately, I kept a printed copy of their post, showing their web site where they also posted the photos of the Gold. It's probably the greatest land Treasure of Gold that has ever been posted on TNET and has been denied to it's viewers.

I'm sure if the Finders posted their find here it would be allowed.
You could Post also as long as you have Permission
from them.
We Love treasures.
Even a News article Would be allowed.

Turning it into an ad for a particular device, or another website
would be a problem. If one company can Advertise free
Why would anyone else Pay ?

attacks on them would also be a problem.

scubatreasure asked, or said

not to beat a dead horse or add some creative explanation as to what aquanut was saying , however, suppose you are discussing the location of a shipwreck using the dowsing method...

I Think it is being done.

Same rule goes. Attacks would be removed.
Not out of Censorship,
but out of the TERMS OF USE
http://www.treasurenet.com/terms/
which everyone agrees to in order to

You may not.... Abuse, defame, harass, threaten, stalk, or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others.

this is a Family Forum, Not " Wrastlin' "

Jeff

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
prospector40 said:
I thinks there is lots of free speach here. Post away big guy. I am interested in the subject you mentioned.

Unfortunately alot of people think Free speach means
they can say whatever they want, No matter who they hurt.

We supposedly have free speach here in america.

So why can't I go into a crowded Airport & Yell
"Hi ! Jack !!!" or "Fire !!!!"

Or Publish in a Newspaper What I realy think of
a Particular Person & Mention them by Name,
Where they work, their address & Phone Number. ?

Or even take out a TV Ad to run every 20 Minutes.

there will always be things you can't say.

at least here you have the chance to
try again & phrase things Differently.

& Not have to Hire a Lawyer

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goober said:
Jeff are you saying that what I posted was hurtful ? :icon_scratch:

???

Did I mention I as talking to you ?

Sorry !! :thumbsup:

you Posted
It's funny that this post came up as I was just posting in another area about how I had posted something someone else didn't like only to get some Private messages that could only qualify as hate mail. Seems if you post something others don't like it isn't always the people in charge here who can censor you.

It is Perfectly OK to PM someone Rather then Post, IF what you
have to say Violates our Terms.

However It is not OK to Threaten, or attack via PM Either.

There is a Report to administration obtion at the bottom
of every PM you receive.
IF at any time you receive what you preceive as
a PM That is over the top
hit report to Administration.

This does not go to the Mods
this will go Directly to Marc

IF Marc is satisfied that you have a case
the person will never again be able to PM anyone here.
& possably be banned also.

If the PM is Rude but not over the top,
you can go into your profile & Block them
from PM'ing you again.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goober said:
Thanks for the info Jeff, I'm still learning my way around these places. Sorry if I seemed to accuse you of anything, this is really hard to get accross what I'm trying to say without sounding bad or mean. I'm just really new at all this and wasn't expecting to offend someone so easily right off the bat.

No accusation felt from me "G"
Just yankin' a bit with the ???

Just a hint. the Smileys do add a sense if your Intentions.
Even if your Like me & Hate Smileys,
they can prevent Misunderstandings. :coffee2:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
roswellborn said:
Saturna said:

Jay

I love that!

Yep You have the Freedom to Think & say what you want.
& We have the Freedom to Decide if it can be Said here :thumbsup: :coffee2:

K

Kentucky Kache

jeff of pa said:
roswellborn said:
Saturna said:

Jay

I love that!

Yep You have the Freedom to Think & say what you want.
& We have the Freedom to Decide if it can be Said here :thumbsup: :coffee2:

What if the government took that stand? Looks like we're getting closer to it all the time.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
already happening everywhere.
There are Plenty af Laws & Lawyers out
there ready to pounce on you if you say the wrong thing.

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
I think we should all go treasure hunting with our own techniques and equipment. Who ever finds the most, well good for them. I do it my way, you do it yours. I could care less.
Just bring home the god stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread