You map dowsers are wasting your time

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
~pops46~
when I first started the only thing I failed at was not knowing how my l rods reacted. I believe if you know what they are telling you, or how they react you will find what you seek! just my opinion.

Yes you are now ahead of the game..It takes time to learn what the rods are telling you...I am a two rod user...I never seem to have found the time to learn how to use one rod...Many things can make the rods move...Your mind may of wondered or you have lost control of the Ideomotor Response...You have you know when the rods do not respond correctly..then back off and try that spot again...I think that not learning what the rods are telling you is responsible for many unhappy people who fail at dowsing...Art

pops46

Dec 6, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Art I agree with you, and I wonder if they are expecting to be an "expert" right off. As with anything there is a learning curve. you get out of it what you put into it.. I can use 1 but I perfer 2 rods, mostly I use flags(used for marking lines) I put the flag part down just past my hands bend them and there you go. This method has worked for me for years,nothing fancy,no flares. Try telling yourself that there are flares,believe it and see what happens.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Hey pops46...A lot of people think that doing stuff just like everyone else is how to be a good Dowser..I have used wood, plastic and drinking straws as Rods..they all worked be were not very good..What you do is find what works for you and stick with it and learn as you go..I try every method that I see posted...If it works for me I may add it to methods...If it works and does not fit the way I want it to I file it..You don’t know when you will need that information...Art

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I am new to TN. I started 2 threads under cache hunting. My story contains a lot of dowsing and I might have been better off putting my story on this board. I have my own brass rods that I have used on occasion to find pipes and wires. I do not consider myself to be much of a dowser and that belief alone will cause me to not be a good dowser.
In 1987 I became invovled in a story about a German U-boat and hidden diamonds. It was a first hand account that I was able to verify the validity of the story. I beleive I know of 2 of the locations of the diamonds. In the process of my quest for the diamonds I came in contact with an 87 year old dowser from North Carolina. He told me at the time of his many adventures and we entered into a partnership. He would lead me to the treasures and I would try to find a way to dig them up.
That was 25 years ago. He died in 1992. I won't go into the details of my story in this post. I will tell you this much. Around 1984 he stood on the bow of one of Mel Fisher's boats swinging his brass and gold pendulum and led them to a point DIRECTLY over the big pile of gold from the Atocha. He told me this time and again years ago and just this week I got confirmation from someone connected with the Fisher group that this did occur EXACTLY as the old man told me.
I am in the process of going after some of the treasures spots that he showed me way back then. I had him tested without knowing of the testing and he was able to do amazing things. I KNOW dowsing can work. I am looking to put together a group of dedicated, honest, non-greedy dowsers to help me dig up the many known and unknown treasures out there.
If you want to you can reply to me via this thread or by PM. Check out my posts under Pirate Chests. Check out my 57 chevy on the car board. I am as honest and for real as they come.

OP
OP
A

aussie 1

Aug 4, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the originator of this thread I pop in occasionally and see whats doing. I believe bigdogdad and his tale emphatically. I have had many similar tales to fill a book. I did a dig a few months ago and struck a decoy dig. I hadnt dowsed the dig ( there hasnt been good dowsing weather since 2004) The Jesuits wont fool me again.
An easy dig is a decoy. THis decoy dig had a marker just under the surface indicating treasures below, however there were subtle differences in the marker that made me suspect, but I went ahead out of curiousity anyway. I was going down after one of many multiple targets in the area of a small suit case sized silver boxes of pearls.
THis area is lousy with several centuries of Spanish jesuit hiding the raping of the Americas.
Back to the dig, We went down thru 3-4 feet of black top soil which is impossible and the soil was laced with crushed pearl shell. For the next 6-7 feet we went thru yellow beach sand with the shaft centred for digging by an occasional large tropical sea snail shell and a odd teaspood of black top soil in the centre to keep us interested. At a total of about 11 feet we stopped digging as there was a rough 12 inch high statue on the north side at floor level Of Jesus Christ on a cross. It was their "up yours " calling card. On the south side of the floor of the shaft was a continuation of long thin circular stalactites intended to lead on a merry dance. If anyone was interested in coming downunder I have probably several hundred Spanish Jesuit caches on tap. I have four hefty grandsons plus a son in law who would like the proceeds as long as they didnt have to dig.

It takes around three hours to go down 10-11 feet with a bucket and rope and 30 minutes to refill and tidy up and a lifetime to spend your share. #A team of three is necessary. Me sitting down and advising and one digging and filling a bucket and one on the rope.
Will attach proof of artifact which i rarely do. OOps have to fix picture.
Aussie1

Attachments

• P1010015.JPG
    P1010015.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 238

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost looks like it could be a pointer. And what is that hole, left side of neck?

Attachments

• P1010015crop-aussie_1.jpg
    P1010015crop-aussie_1.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 243
OP
OP
A

aussie 1

Aug 4, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm you might be right Art. Anyway dowsing will be around matbe soon and I can check it out.
Aussie1

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kept looking at that pointer, until it started to remind me of our Native American arrowheads. After cut/paste on background same color, rotating it. Appears only top half is like an arrowhead, wonder why? Can't figure those Jesuits out, can you? See what you think. Now I think, there is a another shape covering the bottom right edge of the arrowhead, that is why it doesn't look like it should....perhaps a stone? Covered over with something, how about concealed opening?

Attachments

• P1010015crop2-aussie_1.jpg
    P1010015crop2-aussie_1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 352

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
~Max~
Hmm you might be right Art. Anyway dowsing will be around matbe soon and I can check it out.
Aussie1
I have been real successful at dowsing treasure markers..But telling their meaning is still a mystery to me...I am getting a lot of alerts of space weather from the university so it is getting better..Art

OP
OP
A

aussie 1

Aug 4, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey red desert have you ever tried your luck with ink blots. It is just a rough hurried make up of the crucifiction. I must put a decent pic replacement in. Aussie1

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"rough hurried make up of the crucifiction."

Ok, I was just trying to cover all possibilities here. That V shape the arrow points to still appears to be a crude pointer.....anyway, good luck on your search!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigdogdad, I left a couple comments on your thread in the Cache Hunting board. I'm checking your photos, as I said I'd do, posting them here in the Dowsing board.

Red Xs where get coins, but might not be in a chest, seems more like loose silver (possibly shipwreck type) coins. A chest would also show up in a search for archaeological signals, don't get anything which might indicate artifacts or ship debris.

firstdigsm-Bigdogdad.jpg

Last edited:

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks for your efforts. When we dug with a backhoe we were not really checking the dirt coming out of the hole. Big mistake on our part. I think I have made the same mistake a couple more times.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your efforts. When we dug with a backhoe we were not really checking the dirt coming out of the hole. Big mistake on our part. I think I have made the same mistake a couple more times.

You might try checking with the older locals in the area. Even back in older times, when excavation was by horse and plow for construction projects, chests were sometimes hit popping open. Spanish silver coins scattered around, workers grabbing all they could see lying on top.

Red Xs on this pic, again silver coins, don't seem to be right on the surface like ones recently dropped. Green Xs a type of non-metallic archaeological signal, does not seem to be a treasure marker either.

second digsm-Bigdogdad.jpg

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Keeping in mind that this is the "map dowsers are wasting your time" thread, I kind of like the interjection of a site excavation photo into discussion. Nowadays there is a continuum between maps and photos, there's no hard and fast dividing line.

I don't follow the dowsing forum enough to have formulated an opinion regarding Red's dowsing ability or lack of same, but the turn of conversation sheds some light on the nature of dowsing.

Dowsing rods (or pendulums etc.) are merely devices for facilitating ideomotor response. They don't actually detect anything: any detection with such devices is mediated between the ears.

There are people experienced in the locating arts who have gotten good at it through learning. In any craft, most of the learning is at the subconscious level, since the bandwidth of the conscious mind is so limited. So, you'd expect that a person who is disciplined enough to learn from locating experience would be a better dowser than someone who has no experience from which to draw or who has lots of experience but who is no good at connecting the dots.

In my opinion, successful dowsing (i.e., results not easily explainable as just plain luck) comes through two kinds of information: the kind that's learned at the subconscious level and leaks out subconsciously aided by dowsing devices; and the kind that seems to come from some more mysterious source not mediated by learning experience.

Someone with lots of experience in successful (ground truthed) locating could conceivably "by instinct" do a pretty good dowse on an excavation photo. The mental processes involved in such a feat are not much different from "reading the advertisement" which I so frequently refer to on the LRL forum.

So, although I am not endorsing Red's dowsing ability specifically, if Big regards Red as someone with experience in verified locates, I would suggest paying some attention to his "photo-dowse". Not necessarily that each little X marks a spot where within a couple inches a valuable target will be found, but the slightly broader picture that the activity represents.

And maybe he's nailed something dead-on. That would be interesting, but wouldn't prove much if anything. I would argue that such an event shouldn't distract from the bigger picture of the role that knowledge plays in successful locating.

--Toto

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have been trying to figure out how dowsing works for over 25 years. I had no experience with it at all until I met an 87 year old man that had been dowsing for at least 35 years. He had learned how to do it from another old man. I went from never having seen it done to having the 87 year old, I will refer to his first name, Ovid, sitting in the passenger seat of my wife's "Smokey and the Bandit" trans-am as we drove down the highway as he led me to locations where he said there was buried gold. The day we met he showed me how he map dowsed the gold before attempting to locate it. He had been successful in the past. I had an open enough mind to give him the benefit of the doubt. In the course of our relationship I had the opportunity to have him tested without the knowledge of being tested. Part of the intricate tests involved map dowsing. He passed the tests in such a way to absolutely convince me that map or picture dowsing can be done. Of course with anything in life, nothing is 100% and you have to be able to interpret the results. In the course of my 5 year relationship with this dowser, and then joining a local dowsing club, I have come up with what I believe may be over a hundred possible treasure sites. I put the pictures of my first and second attempt at digging up what we were hoping would be a pirate chest in SW Florida. I did not know what I was doing and probably had silver and gold right in front of me. After having more experience I am now going to go about things in a different manner. I have now decided to put some of my other passions aside and try to focus on finding the treasures. I initially posted about pirate chests, pots of gold and a submarine on the Cache forum. As there seems to be many non-believers in dowsing on TN maybe I should devote my time to the dowsing forum. I have barely touched on the extent of the treasures that I may know the very close location of. I have been impressed with the results of the dowsers on this thread. Because of my knowledge of what happened on our digs the dowsing results on this thread make perfect sense to me. I am considering starting a thread with a new picture or two. Thanks to everyone who reads this, for my being able to share my dowsing experience. I have absolutely no doubt that dowsing can work and that there are some people out there with extraordinary powers waiting to be tapped into. Just so you will understand my desire to go after the treasures you have to know some of what this dowser had done. In the early 80's he stood on the bow of one of Mel Fisher's boats and led them to a spot that was directly above a big pile of gold from the Atocha.

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
My view of map dowsing..
To me Map dowsing is just a mental exercise to get me in the right area..Before I started using this method I would drive to an area (sometimes 100’s of miles) and spend the entire day searching with little to show for my efforts. Now I go and there is always something there..I may have Dowsed a pile of gold coins and only recover a few gold flakes but that is OK with me. Rarely is my find where the x on the map is but is near by...I will use any and all tools to find and recover treasure. One of my tools allows me to check the signal from a distance for size..If the target is real small or buried to deep I may just forget it and go to my next map site...
My Map Dowsing just adds to my enjoyment of the hobby of Treasure Hunting..When I do maps for others I hope that I am also adding to their enjoyment..Art

Tanelorn

Feb 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just so you will understand my desire to go after the treasures you have to know some of what this dowser had done. In the early 80's he stood on the bow of one of Mel Fisher's boats and led them to a spot that was directly above a big pile of gold from the Atocha.

Is it true that Mel Fisher and yourself located gold bars on the Atocha?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread