Is dowsing a gift, a skill or both?

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Art: The last couple of days I have been practicing long shots on a "known target" with my dowsing rods. The distance is about 1 1/2 miles. As I mentioned in an earlier post, as before, I concentrated more on my rods more than on the terrain. I checked my target line on google maps and, taking into consideration the magnetic declination factor in my area, was off to the left by about 15 degrees. Then today, I did the same shot while concentrating on the terrain and my line went much closer to the target.

Now, to perfect long range dowsing with L-Rods, would you suggest dowsing closer to known targets at first, then gradually moving farther away with each shot until you are way out there, or coming closer with each shot until you are right on top of the target?

I'll try the idea of taking my mind off of what I am doing at the time, think of something else, then see if it works for me.

Thanks,

Les

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey Les...that is how you learn...There is a mile and a half landing strip close to here that is only used by the forest service during fires. The strip runs in a north-south direction...that is where I learned the size of the target determines how far you can read it. I have picked up large gold veins from 4 miles and a flake of gold for 60 paces. There is so much to learn so don’t get in a rush..Art

OP
OP
BaronH

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
Wow, I started this thread thinking I would get a response or two. Great turn out! Does anyone have any suggestions for someone with about 10 minutes of experience dowsing?

Sent from my Android using TreasureNet

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, I started this thread thinking I would get a response or two. Great turn out! Does anyone have any suggestions for someone with about 10 minutes of experience dowsing?

Sent from my Android using TreasureNet

BaronH: I'm sure you have heard the saying about opening up a can of worms, well here, and congrats to you are in order, you have opened up a can of most tasty candy. Enjoy.

I for one was a skeptic for many years. Then while visiting a cousins ranch in southern Utah, I asked how he determined where to drill for water. He said he "dowsed the spots." Now normally I would have said: "sure, horses have feathers and elephants fly too". But it was his judge sober and totally sincere response that caused me to stop and think for a moment about maybe I was wrong about it. Later I got some rods and the rest is history.

I strongly suggest that you gather as much information as you can from dowsers who have been dowsing for years in the past and take from them what works for you. Always remember, as ART said in post #21, not every technique works for all, but you will learn that many techniques will, in fact, work for you too. Further, you can rest assured that if you report back that this or that procedure did not work for you, no dowser that I know of, or that is worth their salt, is going to chew you out for it not working for you. Now they may re-emphasise the point a little stronger, but will not chew you out if their fovorite and most cherished technique they told you about does not work for you. It just doesn't work that way. So, if you do come across a dowser who does that to you, in my opinion, that dowser is not the one you should take information from.

If you look around this dowsing forum, you will find gobs of information on dowsing techniques, styles, procedures etc. I for one have learned tons from ART as I have communicated with him the most. 10Claw is another one and Red Desert also. I communiated with Red Desert just a ittle in the past but I know Red has posted some great posts, especially on long range shot techniques and style that works for me. I can't point you to them at this time, but I have read them. All of these guys are very generous in telling you what they have learned.

Also and on the other hand, as time goes on, there might be some hardcore skeptics come on board that will turn the action from a crawl into a fast and furious exchange. That is when you can really get charged up, grab your dowsing instruments and really go for it.

So grab your rods, go dowse in the way you now know. Then, if you feel comfortable with it all, report back what you did and what you found etc. Doing that alone will in itself generated responses, comments, and great opportunities for you to ask questions and get answers that might work for you.

Les.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TerryC:

Welcome.

I assume from your avatar that you are a Marine or were at one time a Marine. In either case,thank you for your service.

I am a retired U.S. Air Force Aircraft Maintenance Officer with 20 years of service. I was a “MUSTANG”as they are called, but it was worth it. I retired in 1990 and am currently living the good life.

Now part of that good life is after many years of blind and stubborn skepticism and doubt, I finally tried dowsing and the rest is history. No, I cannot explain it for sure but I favor Einstein’s take on it. He says: "I know very well that many scientists consider dowsing as they do astrology, as a type of ancient superstition. According to my conviction this is, however, unjustified. The dowsing rod is a simple instrument which shows the reaction of the human nervous system to certain factors which are unknown to us at this time."

If you will, please say why you think dowsing is a myth. But before you do that, read the following article.

United States MilitaryDowsers in Viet Nam

A member of the AmericanSociety of Dowsers, ASD, proved the efficacy of dowsing to Marines at a USMC training center in Virginia by successfully finding all of the concealed underground installations, amazing camp officials. He dowsed a map of the training center the night before the actual demonstration. At USMC Camp Pendleton in Southern California, enlistees were screened for their dowsing ability. One out of five was found to have the ability.

Louis Matacia, an operations analyst at the Marine Corps Schools at Quantico, Virginia, is given credit for instituting and teaching the use of dowsing. He taught one hundred and eight Marines, en route to Vietnam, military dowsing basics. They used it successfully during the Vietnamese war. Its efficacy was proven beyond any doubt to the Marine Command, but it wasn’t sanctioned for use. Despite this, the Corps used it.

Dowsers were used to locate booby traps, message drops, buried telephone lines and supplies, mines, enemy tunnel systems, Viet Cong underground emplacements and weapons caches.They were able to locate subterranean tunnels at Khesan when electronic detectors were useless. A professional military dowser can locate the enemy, day or night, under and above ground, under water and the precise location, despitethe distance between the dowser and the target. Dowsing was said to have saved many lives.

Very little publicity was released about the success of dowsing at the time. It was classified until recently. Paul Smith, retired Intelligence officer, led the department of military dowsing and teaches civilian dowsers methods and techniques used in military dowsing.

From: Dowsing Used by the Military: Military Dowsing Came into its Own in the US/Vietnam War | Suite101.com
I will apologize. Saying it is a myth falls back on what I know of the subject. Like the myth that the earth was round, You have to try it to believe. I'm not ready, I guess. Incidently, just to argue a point, I have been TOLD that the earth is round. And I read that the earth is round... but then I haven't proven it myself. (just poking at the beehive!). TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LESJCBS, Tnx for the "thank you"! I have been getting alot of them lately and, truly, lost count! But that's GOOD! Terry

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TerryC:

You are on target. Many dowsing skeptics won't try it to see if it works for them, let alone admit, like you did, that they are not ready. On that part, you are way ahead of them.

Part of the reason is perhaps they know, way down deep, that from all the witnesses and the history of dowsing, there is a very high chance they will find it does work for them. When that happens, they are then forced to change their thinking and change can be a hard thing for some to do.

I was a skeptic most of my life and you and I are about the same age.

I have dowsed out over 300 unknown targets in places I never set foot in before during trips from Arizona to Nevada to California and back. One summer I set a goal to dowse out 10 targets a day and had no problems at all in meeting that goal. I stopped counting and keeping track at 300. Since then, I have dowsed out more.

I am currently working on the long range dowsing skill which has real promise in it.

Keep reading stories and accounts in this dowsing forum and maybe some day you will be ready to give it a try.

Les.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread