Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I get so bored, I'll start checking out photos at my favorite gold prospecting forum. Usually, even though good signals can be found, don't mention or post any of it. The reason, a few miners seem more skeptical than most people about dowsing.

Check this out.....

Serra da Mesa Dam, once known as Sao Felix, is an embankment dam on the Tocantins River near Minaçu in Goiás, Brazil

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4453&page=196

Brazil_SDM1.jpg

These maps are the area in photo #006 which is 2nd lake photo (last two side by side) on first link page.

Brazil_SDM2.jpg

The lake is the Serra da Mesa (a big long one) was formed by damming up the River,
where in years past tons of gold had been dredged from it. There seems to be a few meteorites found in the area also.

Meteorite find this week from Serra da Mesa Lake, weighs around 100 lbs. Photos the meteorite are on this page.

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4453&page=197

A couple gold nugget pics also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a heavy iron meteorite.

meteorite_Brazil1.jpg

Once I heard a story about how when the indigenous people of Brazil, heard and saw the fireball explosion, thought the sky god had come down to earth.

meteorite_Brazil2.jpg

Like the meteor that exploded over Russia last Friday, they can drop 100 lb. chunks to the ground.

coyote3

Apr 12, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Spectrum,
Minelab Xterra 705,
Whites TM808,
Bounty Hunter,
Si Go by Fitz
L Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post Red. I have now had two fireball fall in the last year that are close to home. Actually three. I saw one, a good friend saw the other and my best friend saw the other. The first one was saw by my mom and dad on the way home from Billings. I was headed to Sheridan on the other side of the mountain and a friend was driving a car and seen the fireball through the windshield. She looked back and thought she would see the signature of it hitting, but I believe it went into a canal right next to the road..

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meteorites are a type of treasure, you should expect the signal to be similar to a buried treasure, if it is very large and deeper than 1-2 feet. Sometimes I wonder if certain of the hits dowsers get for caches aren't really meteorites.

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course, if you were hunting around a gold placer for small meteorites......not going to be quite the same, maybe the response could seem more like a large nugget. You'll just have to work with meteorite dowsing until getting the proper results.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey Red desert..I have looked for Meteorites both by Map Dowsing and using the rods...I was digging more rocks containing just iron and nickel than true meteorites. So I started asking different questions and baiting my rods with different minerals...I now look for iron..nickel..magnesium...silicate..bronzite and iridium...Much better results...I hope this helps someone..Art

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know Art, I don't think meteorite dowsing is going to be much different than for gold and other minerals.

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You wouldn't think so. Aren't the majority of meteorites composed mostly of iron?
Yes, I think that could be a problem, there is a lot of iron junk in the ground, seems like you just can't get away from it. Meteorites often have a high iron/nickel content.

Last edited:

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Yes, I think that could be a problem, there is a lot of iron junk in the ground, seems like you just can't get away from it. Meteorites often have a high iron/nickel content.

You figure going after a meteorite would be really tough, given how varied the composition of each one can be. And you're right, there's a ton of iron mineralization in some places, it'd be worse than a needle in a haystack. I'd have to guess it'd be easier to stick with silver and gold, even with how valuable some of those meteorites can be.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
~ColonedSIM~
You figure going after a meteorite would be really tough, given how varied the composition of each one can be. And you're right, there's a ton of iron mineralization in some places, it'd be worse than a needle in a haystack. I'd have to guess it'd be easier to stick with silver and gold, even with how valuable some of those meteorites can be.
Yes it is tough and information on their make up is hard to find..but gold and silver can be tough in some areas..silver is hard in my area because there is so much of it in the granite and micro gold is always a problem most anywhere you go...Art

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Yes it is tough and information on their make up is hard to find..but gold and silver can be tough in some areas..silver is hard in my area because there is so much of it in the granite and micro gold is always a problem most anywhere you go...Art

Isn't there a way to eliminate micro-gold and silver signals, or at least blank them somehow?

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
~ClonedSIM~
Isn't there a way to eliminate micro-gold and silver signals, or at least blank them somehow?
I have a homemade tool that works part of the time..It keeps the rods from closing on small signals...Art

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
~ClonedSIM~
Wow, that would make it almost impossible to nail down gold and silver when you're map dowsing, unless it was a particularly large amount, I'm guessing?
Yes the amount is always hard to nail down..And yes I have often been wrong..No big deal if you enjoyed the hunt and recovered some gold and silver..Art

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread