chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Does this look like a nugget or a bar to you?

It weighs 32 grams.

The magnetometer was a waste of time but the dowsing wands both hit on the same place. There is something down there, we dug until we couldn't dig anymore. We got down about four feet and hit water. The detector is signaling in the hole.

Attachments

• torture-island.png
    torture-island.png
    282.3 KB · Views: 91

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just took a look at it. Dowsing seems to be identifying it as lead with a small amount of silver. Could be pewter too as that would give a mixed reading.
Jon

Last edited:
OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I used my acid test kit. I can test to 18k. It's at least 18k.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok nice thx for letting us know. My mistake.
Jon

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about dredging? There are gold prospectors who have built back pack DIY dredges with a 2 1/2" hose. I think a pack must be worn and another part of it catches the gold. Then I've read comments by shipwreck divers who use a dredge to get down under ballast piles.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to get your find in closer for a look, some places the metal is very bright.

You know, on one of my dowsing projects for guerrilla fighters, a piece of gold was found near carved stone markers, with a distance code engraved on it.....it might be coded as to where another cache is located.

Attachments

• goldbar-island.jpg
    goldbar-island.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 89
  • goldbar-islandcrop.jpg
    goldbar-islandcrop.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More pics please... Size something for reference?

OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
The bright spot is from the flash on the camera.

It was the big old square wooden pilings that got me thinking that something may be burried there. What do you think about there being so many large nails on the island?

Codes? Who knows?

Flyadive - It's 1-1/4" x 1/2" wide.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bright spot is from the flash on the camera.

It was the big old square wooden pilings that got me thinking that something may be burried there. What do you think about there being so many large nails on the island?

Codes? Who knows?

Flyadive - It's 1-1/4" x 1/2" wide.

Depends on if the nails were from buildings or a ship.

Small pieces of gold have been used with markings on them to identify where a cache is located. You need to know what type of code is used. Here is a better crop enlarged plus darkened slightly. Really tough to say by looking at photos, if your piece has anything like markings on it. You can tell better, whether just a rough surface or not.

Attachments

• goldbar-islandcrop2.jpg
    goldbar-islandcrop2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok nice thx for letting us know. My mistake.
Jon
I figured out why I interpreted the signals incorrectly. I got 22 to 24 clockwise circles w/ the pendulum over the picture. 22 is lead.
My redowse indicated 4 metals present in the specimen.
The only thing is that lead has a negative polarity so if it was lead it would have circled counterclockwise first. Gold has 11 positive cw circles which leaves roughly 11 or 13. So the next metal was silver with 6 cw circles , copper with 5 cw circles and that leaves a very small amount of platinum in the specimen with 2 cw circles if I got 24 cw circles which was hard to tell with the pendulum startup and wind down.
I don't do much substance identification but I will have better experience with it next time....still enjoyed the learning lesson.
There are quite a few of these specimens in the area I hope you can find some more.
Jon

OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I know very little about codes. I think I'll be better off using the wands, detectors and even the magnetometer. I did notice another old piling away from the island. Its as out of place looking as the two on the island. There are also other little islands that we haven't ever kayaked to but eventually we will.

There is a pirate history here so there is a possibility of something significant being found. Even if we find nothing else I'm happy!

We didn't dig today and probably wont dig anymore until the weekend. Yesterday wore us out!

OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't stop thinking about the pilings and nails.

Back in the day, was cargo stored in boxes that were made with nails?

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
What a great thread!! Thanks ladies, for keeping us updated. If nails are square, they are very old. Maybe post some pics of nails?

widomanmx

Banned
Dec 6, 2013
Chihuahua (mx)
Detector(s) used
Gemini 3
Deepers
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Put the piece over a dark-color cloth & take picture with day light without flash .. better colors & definition
.. its not a nugget, sure a piece of molten metal
.. apparently looks like silver

Nice finding :icon_thumleft:

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about more pics of the back?

Attachments

• image-2247389852.jpg
    image-2247389852.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 77

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if it does have markings, for to indicate a cache location, there should be marked trees or carved rocks in the area. Also would probably be found with something else, possibly inside it. Nice find, the other signals in the hole should be checked out. There might not be enough water for a portable dredge. How about one of those spiral auger type sand recovery equipment for beach treasure?

OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Even if it does have markings, for to indicate a cache location, there should be marked trees or carved rocks in the area. Also would probably be found with something else, possibly inside it. Nice find, the other signals in the hole should be checked out. There might not be enough water for a portable dredge. How about one of those spiral auger type sand recovery equipment for beach treasure?

We only have kayaks to transport tools. There isn't room for any type of equipment.

I think we are going to need help digging if we need to dig real deep.

Flyadive: I have pics somewhere.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the avatar of the gold bar you casted yourself better then the cartoon cowgirl.
Being you are able to cast your own Gold bars, do you think the gold you found was natural ? Or casted.

OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
That's not a cowgirl it's a lady pirate! :tongue3:

Im no expert caster. It's actually not real hard to cast some things. I really can't tell if it's cast or natural. Sometimes I think cast, sometimes natural, sometimes posessed!

Everything that I have cast has had a thin rim around the edge that had to be cut or filed off. I dont see that on this.

Last edited:

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is AWESOME! Thanks so much for sharing this with everyone! I'll be heading back to a couple of places that the gang here has dowsed and can't wait to see what else I can find! (I WILL follow-through and post results, as you can see I have from a couple of previous hunts....no empty promises on that here, just haven't been back to these places, or a couple buddies I posted for STILL haven't either!)

Great job and I hope you and your crew can find more! Get your hands on that 2-Box detector! It could really pay off!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions