went dowsing today

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after the snow now the rain we have one day of nice weather before my 16 hr days start again.I took my son to the park today. We took the detector and the rods. Used the rods first and then the detector to confirm. Well we dug about 4 targets first was a unknown clasp type button ill try to remember to post a pic. then a nickel and a dime and a pull tab. No gold hits one silver hit but was by a tree and lots of roots above ground. I didnt try to dig it.
Well we were having a pretty good time till this loud mouth teenage girl started following and talking about how I needed to go to a certain area that i would do real well there and where her grandma found rings and arrowheads. I told her that you would go to jail and to read the signs(true) it is national forest and the homesteads are protected. She then took the detector when my son got a hit saying try here( I am trying to teach him right) he was by the monkey bars and was picking up the bars I started laughing told him to come on.I was really enjoying the peace and quite when got a signal for copper clad . I marked the spot and went back to get the detector from her, got it and dang she followed me back. Told her to dig where I made a mark in the dirt(might as well make her useful) she did and found a dime.
I told her to keep it and to remember i didnt have a detector when i found it.:laughing7:

I can deal with folks talking to me while using a detector it is alot harder when you are trying to keep up on thinking what your looking for and listening to someone blab about where you need to go in a very loud voice.
Any way me and my son had a good time and got a nickel and a clasp type button ( it was off to the right from cross about a foot :icon_scratch:) and a dime ( I gave to the girl it was worth the peace for a few mins with my son).This was all in about 20 mins. This is only my 2nd real try out for finding stuff. Pretty neat!!!!!
The silver target at another park ill hit later (too many people).My son hit for gold and silver i didnt but have heard kids are more in tune than us. So that will be another story ill let you know.
Be safe Happy Hunting.

Note I got 3 hits with my rods that pointed to copper clad but got nothing with the detector. They have over the years dumped alot of pine bark on the grounds at least 3 inches each year. Might be too far down for the detector I am not sure please add input if you had the same problem.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They put pine bark around some trees at a local park this area, used to be able to get a lot of older pennies under them. Apparently a layer of dirt was put down before covered with the bark. You can't find anything around the trees now using my Ace 250.

OP
OP
cooper36

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was wondering if it was the rods or the detector. I know they put down alot of pine bark about every year. Thanks!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread