Not open for further replies.

Jay of MS

Apr 13, 2012
The Deep South :)
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garret gtax 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have really tried to believe it. Even cut my own dowsing rods out of copper and tried it with no luck at all. I even tried asking the rods to show me where water, pipe, power lines etc were with no luck. I looked it up on youtube and watched some videos that were interesting but not really convencing. Also watched some opposing interviews with James Randi which had a lot of good points and seemed to be just down right common sense.

Just wondering what your experince with this is and how you feel. To me its just like bigffoot and the lochness monster or the quija board sold at wallmart. I liked all that stuff when I was a kid but as an adult it holds no water. Of course this is all in my opinion.

Differing opinions are welcomed and encouraged. Maybe you all can convert me :laughing7:

Last edited:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, this one could get heated..... I personally don't believe in it, my grandfather had a set of dowsing rods and never found anything he was looking for, and I tried them with no luck when I was a kid.

This is one of those subjects where you either believe or don't, but I've seen some pretty heated discussions come up when a believer was told they don't work.

OP
OP
Jay of MS

Jay of MS

Apr 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully anyone that posts will have enough sense to not fly off the deep end. I love reading alternate views from my own. I may learn something as they may learn something from me.

Nola My dad made dowsing rods for us kids and would send us into the yard looking for gold, underground water, etc for fun with also no luck. I recently became interested in it again but after trying it a few different ways and watching others dowse on youtube both pro and con I'm just not buying it. I wish it did work tho. They could have found Bin Laden quicker, all of the buried gold in the world and a ton of other things. Who knows maybe if I hop on one foot it might work :laughing7:

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real i'm able to dowse and am able to find wells, my grandfather could tell you about how deep it would be i cant do that though

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real.

My wife has the gift... she can find wells for people all day long.

On the odd occasion, she has directed me to a significant find in the lakes around here

OP
OP
Jay of MS

Jay of MS

Apr 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real i'm able to dowse and am able to find wells, my grandfather could tell you about how deep it would be i cant do that though

Can you only find water? Do you talk to your rods? I even asked mine to find certain things with no luck. I read somewhere that asking the rods helps. :dontknow:

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Dowsing works! I have found privies, water lines and a couple septic tanks with this method. The rods need to be able to flow freely in your hands. You might be holding on too tight. It takes some practice. DD.

Shadow

Greenie
Apr 8, 2012
Kingston Ontario
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2, Shadow X5, Teknetics Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many decades ago my family and I went to an 'historic village' type tourist attraction. One of the demonstrations was dowsing for water. There was an old well on the property so the water was there. They gave anyone who wasn't spooked an opportunity to try. Using the standard willow branch I gave it a shot as did my wife. The branch twisted so severely in my hands I got a 'bark burn', it was amazing. It worked for my wife as well but other people couldn't get it to twitch. SO it does work, at least for certain people, at least responds to water. I wouldn't go out and buy a $500 contraption to find buried treasure or gold with one because I've never heard of anyone who's an independent getting rich from the investment.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
of course

For metals and treasures? Of course it works! Just wave your coat-hanger thing long enough around enough likely looking ruins, then pull your detector out to "pinpoint", and dig enough holes around those likely looking ruins long enough, then "presto", you eventually find metal and even goodies! (all because of the dowsing, ... of course :tongue3: )

I have really tried to believe it. Even cut my own dowsing rods out of copper and tried it with no luck at all. I even tried asking the rods to show me where water, pipe, power lines etc were with no luck. I looked it up on youtube and watched some videos that were interesting but not really convencing. Also watched some apposing interviews with James Randi which had a lot of good points and seemed to be just down right common sense.

Just wondering what your experince with this is and how you feel. To me its just like bigffoot and the lochness monster or the quija board sold at wallmart. I liked all that stuff when I was a kid but as an adult it holds no water. Of course this is all in my opinion.

Differing opinions are welcomed and encouraged. Maybe you all can convert me :laughing7:

OP
OP
Jay of MS

Jay of MS

Apr 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For metals and treasures? Of course it works! Just wave your coat-hanger thing long enough around enough likely looking ruins, then pull your detector out to "pinpoint", and dig enough holes around those likely looking ruins long enough, then "presto", you eventually find metal and even goodies! (all because of the dowsing, ... of course :tongue3: )

Do I detect sarcasm :laughing7:

SilverorBust

Greenie
Sep 6, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The theory behind dowsing rods and pendulums is that the person is sensitive enough to the things that are being sought and the rods and the pendulum are simple tools that display the result.
As such, one cannot simply take the rods and start dowsing and expect results. One would have to be sensitive already or develop that sensitivity somehow.

I believe that the extent of a person's senses goes well beyond what we experience in our everyday lives. Some of this stuff is now actually verified by science, albeit science that is as of yet difficult to understand by the lay person. Some of the things that Quantum Physics deals with makes dowsing seem as normal as eating pie.

OP
OP
Jay of MS

Jay of MS

Apr 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The theory behind dowsing rods and pendulums is that the person is sensitive enough to the things that are being sought and the rods and the pendulum are simple tools that display the result.
As such, one cannot simply take the rods and start dowsing and expect results. One would have to be sensitive already or develop that sensitivity somehow.

I believe that the extent of a person's senses goes well beyond what we experience in our everyday lives. Some of this stuff is now actually verified by science, albeit science that is as of yet difficult to understand by the lay person. Some of the things that Quantum Physics deals with makes dowsing seem as normal as eating pie.

So the dowser's sense's are moving the rod at the exact spot? I always heard that the dowser is suppose to let the rods do the work and not even squeeze. Do people being sensitive make things move? You said that some of this stuff has been verified by science. What stuff, and where has it been proven. Looking forward to the links. Maybe I will learn something. :dontknow:

Last edited:

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I became convinced it can work when I subdivided a building lot and we had a neighbor use his rods to find the spot to pound the well. He nailed it first time. 20gal/minute and he was able to follow the vein for some distance. It was very cool.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOLA,

I'm from New Orleans, and went to a little private school (Clifton L. Ganus). One of the guys in my class's father owned an oil exploration company. Told me that the two dowsers he kept on staff were just as accurate as any of the modern scientific equipment he was using at the time (1970s).

Personally, I believe that dowsing is real. I just don't believe 99% of the people that SAY they can dowse. I have tried it and can't get it to work every time for me. Until someone can show me that they can dowse 100% of the time accurately, I will stick with what I know works 100%; my metal detectors.

Mike

SilverorBust

Greenie
Sep 6, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the dowser's sense's are moving the rod at the exact spot? I always heard that the dowser is suppose to let the rods do the work and not even squeeze. Do people being sensitive make things move? You said that some of this stuff has been verified by science. What stuff, and where has it been proven. Looking forward to the links. Maybe I will learn something. :dontknow:

Jay, google peripersonal space. It has to do with how we extend our senses beyond the limits of our physical bodies via an apparent brain map of the surrounding space.

The rods and pendulum don't move on their accord but rather the muscles around the hand and fingers move very subtly. The rods and pendulum augment the movement so that it can be easily seen by the person. Look up micro muscle movements on the web. I heard someone say once that that's how cops can sometimes tell somebody is lying, that is, by picking up on the subtle muscle movements of the face.

There is a man by the name of Darren Brown who exploits all of this for his stage shows. Look him up, there is lots of interesting stuff he does that touch on the whole dowsing thing, even if he himself doesn't dowse; well, he kind of dowses for lost items by using people as the rods.

As for the Quantum Physics stuff, read up on it. There is tons of stuff available on the web. Google is your friend.

OP
OP
Jay of MS

Jay of MS

Apr 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jay, google peripersonal space. It has to do with how we extend our senses beyond the limits of our physical bodies via an apparent brain map of the surrounding space.

The rods and pendulum don't move on their accord but rather the muscles around the hand and fingers move very subtly. The rods and pendulum augment the movement so that it can be easily seen by the person. Look up micro muscle movements on the web. I heard someone say once that that's how cops can sometimes tell somebody is lying, that is, by picking up on the subtle muscle movements of the face.

There is a man by the name of Darren Brown who exploits all of this for his stage shows. Look him up, there is lots of interesting stuff he does that touch on the whole dowsing thing, even if he himself doesn't dowse; well, he kind of dowses for lost items by using people as the rods.

As for the Quantum Physics stuff, read up on it. There is tons of stuff available on the web. Google is your friend.

Interesting. I certainly believe that some people are able to read other people when they are lying, me being one of them :) This is face to face tho.

I like the idea of a brain map of space. Dare I say Matrix.

Hmmm so the dowsers are actually making the rods move? I thought dowsers claim they are not making the rods move. I have Even seen a few vids of dowsers trying to keep everything still as they walk to prove its the rods not them. If they have the power why not just walk right up to the treasure and say "there".

I think humans can train their bodies to do superhuman things like in sports or the brain. As far as finding treasure with rods, who knows.

At least the thread didn't turn into ww3 infact it almost has the atmosphere of my grandmas house lol.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
All i will say about dowsing is that i have done it and it has worked out well for me....... I don't look for water i find coins & jewelry ...And it works for me.............. I will not say any more about it here...... For there are two many that will say i am lying it can't be done ..... But i have proved to my self it does work ... For me it works..... For others it will work for some and it will not work for others...................

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe some folks can do that. I have actually seen them tell you how deep, and how much water would flow, and they were right. I have seen those same folks miss completely, too. I believe there's something to dowsing, but not everyone has the talent.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can dowse under ground electrical cables, and water lines using two "L" shaped wires, but that is the extent of my ability...... I learned how aftrer losing a $20 bet to a contractor on a water company crew who bet me he could find the fiber optic cable I was there to locate with a Metro locator.......... He found it and I verified it with my locator... After that I used the technique to double check my locates...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread