Dowsing the Sierras

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"adjacent gulley is a very old iron pipe the crosses the gulley about 10 feet in the air, and goes into the earth on both sides."

That's interesting! The reason it caught my attention, probably doesn't apply here, but in Europe a pipe going straight down into the ground could indicate a bunker. Recently, about 3-4 months ago, I was looking through the pics taken by people exploring an old Nazi bunker they had found. From the surface, the only visible clue was these pipes sticking up out of the ground and that must have been to get air down into the bunker. Of course, the ends on these pipes were curved, making them look more like an exhaust pipe of an automobile.

Hmmm....maybe Hosssauce's site is where they filmed some of the Hogan's Hero's episodes?

ripper1

Apr 17, 2014
greece
Primary Interest:
Other
Motherlode.jpg look here for gold

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of these locations are very interesting. The last spot ripper marked is as well especially considering where the creek is currently running and where it certainly may have run in the past. By the way, that specific creek yielded a 63lb "gold nugget" or boulder id call it way back in the day. The motherlode.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of these locations are very interesting. The last spot ripper marked is as well especially considering where the creek is currently running and where it certainly may have run in the past. By the way, that specific creek yielded a 63lb "gold nugget" or boulder id call it way back in the day. The motherlode.
Maybe we should be dowsing for gold boulders instead. :coffee2:

Jbarsk8

Mar 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hosssauce is my brother just so yall know. We both own a good chunk of this land.

My question is to the dowsers....tele, at, red, ripper, ga boy......are you able to tell the depth of some of these? Obviously a vein is a vein, thats self explanatory. As far as gemstones, gold/silver bars, diamonds....do you have any ideas of depth or would you just look for signs? We know this land well and have access to most of it. That pic probably encompasses about 800+ acres if not more. So many incredible clues and visual markers to give great tips and knowledge but any further advice would be greatly appreciated. Our neighbors have supported their family for over 150 years on a few small veins they have chipped away at for years. Gold is everywhere here and the history of lost treasure in this region is simply fascinating.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hosssauce is my brother just so yall know. We both own a good chunk of this land.

My question is to the dowsers....tele, at, red, ripper, ga boy......are you able to tell the depth of some of these? Obviously a vein is a vein, thats self explanatory. As far as gemstones, gold/silver bars, diamonds....do you have any ideas of depth or would you just look for signs? We know this land well and have access to most of it. That pic probably encompasses about 800+ acres if not more. So many incredible clues and visual markers to give great tips and knowledge but any further advice would be greatly appreciated. Our neighbors have supported their family for over 150 years on a few small veins they have chipped away at for years. Gold is everywhere here and the history of lost treasure in this region is simply fascinating.

Hi Jbarsk8,
I will go over my dowse and revise my post.
Jon

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gemstones I'm still not certain as to what all they might be. The 2 small lilac boxes on the left seemed to at least contain a few few diamonds, the signals become lost at about 10 feet and deeper. The other lilac boxes vary as to the depth signals become nothing. The vanishing point on one was 14 ft, another 16 ft, others 12 ft. I know in Arizona I'd read of a mine had a rare valuable mineral the specimens are hunted for using a mineral UV light. However, these don't dowse as being in a vein. Gems can be iny also, be interesting to see what turns up.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't do any shallow gold searches, most of these run deep as veins, except the 2 large lower yellow line rectangle boxes (bottom out completely at about 25 ft). Here is from my file of definitions for yellow marked spots.

"Yellow line box (or solid filled circles) for gold veins and deep alluvial placer deposits.
Yellow outline circles for shallow alluvial gold placer deposits."

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shallow native gold hits, I suppose a percentage here could be from shallow veins and quartz float containing gold. The black circles added are spots I'm curious about what might be there. Of course shallow alluvial gold was easy to reach and many places no doubt become worked out.

Attachments

• Motherlode-YC.jpg
    Motherlode-YC.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
H

Hosssauce

Greenie
Aug 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"adjacent gulley is a very old iron pipe the crosses the gulley about 10 feet in the air, and goes into the earth on both sides."

That's interesting! The reason it caught my attention, probably doesn't apply here, but in Europe a pipe going straight down into the ground could indicate a bunker. Recently, about 3-4 months ago, I was looking through the pics taken by people exploring an old Nazi bunker they had found. From the surface, the only visible clue was these pipes sticking up out of the ground and that must have been to get air down into the bunker. Of course, the ends on these pipes were curved, making them look more like an exhaust pipe of an automobile.

Interesting indeed. Ever hear of any mining operations having these breather tubes? With it being horizontal I'm thinking it was transferring water to/from somewhere. Which seems to make sense considering a few hundred feet away in the next gulley over, there is a very nice flowing mountain spring. Possibly the best in town.

OP
OP
H

Hosssauce

Greenie
Aug 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Another interesting spot Ripper. As Jbar mentioned this was a very rich creek. One of the large mining companies in town had an operation right next to that, and there is an old tram-like cable car crossing the creek at that spot. Yet again this now needs further investigation. Thank you ! :occasion14:

OP
OP
H

Hosssauce

Greenie
Aug 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The 2 small lilac boxes on the left seemed to at least contain a few few diamonds, the signals become lost at about 10 feet and deeper. The other lilac boxes vary as to the depth signals become nothing. The vanishing point on one was 14 ft, another 16 ft, others 12 ft. I know in Arizona I'd read of a mine had a rare valuable mineral the specimens are hunted for using a mineral UV light."

Hmm, those depths you've mentioned are pretty much the depth of all those big holes up there. I wonder if they were after something and missed it/didn't get it all, or that's coincidental. With the pure number of hits you got up there, do you think it's fairly safe to say that this is NOT just lost jewelry?

OP
OP
H

Hosssauce

Greenie
Aug 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for that last one Red. I suppose it's safe to say that there is still gold in 'dem 'dar hills ! The forecast is clearing up, I can't wait to go exploring and share some pictures with you folks :hello2::coffee2::icon_thumright:

OP
OP
H

Hosssauce

Greenie
Aug 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you guys don't mind just one more. This one I've explored quite a bit. Its about 2 miles to the east of that last picture. It was an old, large mining settlement with lots of heavy producers. I don't want to bombard you with millions of gold hits, that would be a little exhausting. In this picture I'm specifically looking for caches/bars/coins. According to legends, this was a hot spot for Joaquin Murieta and his crew of bandits. Thank you !

Motherlode2.jpg

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The 2 small lilac boxes on the left seemed to at least contain a few few diamonds, the signals become lost at about 10 feet and deeper. The other lilac boxes vary as to the depth signals become nothing. The vanishing point on one was 14 ft, another 16 ft, others 12 ft. I know in Arizona I'd read of a mine had a rare valuable mineral the specimens are hunted for using a mineral UV light."

Hmm, those depths you've mentioned are pretty much the depth of all those big holes up there. I wonder if they were after something and missed it/didn't get it all, or that's coincidental. With the pure number of hits you got up there, do you think it's fairly safe to say that this is NOT just lost jewelry?
Now I don't think we can know for sure, could be water washed stones which have collected there.....at the Crater of diamonds state park the SW lower end that slopes down into a corner once had water, but they fixed it so people work the spot now. Water washed diamonds to the low area and many were already recovered (still do). There are a lot of stones cut for jewelry, everything from diamonds to agates and petrified wood. People if climbing up and down the sides of holes may have lost jewelry too.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting indeed. Ever hear of any mining operations having these breather tubes? With it being horizontal I'm thinking it was transferring water to/from somewhere. Which seems to make sense considering a few hundred feet away in the next gulley over, there is a very nice flowing mountain spring. Possibly the best in town.
Now that you mention it, I'm thinking there was an article once, mentioned a site in your mountain range, moving water using pipes during some mining operation.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is to identify sites, here is from my file of definitions. For the red line boxes, I think this might include mine shafts or where they chipped vein on your map.

"Red line box (or solid filled circles) for very deep coins/treasure or artifacts of value.

Black outline circle around other marked places, indicates this site is the most significant (a small solid filled circle inside another marking, pinpoints the exact location). At locations believed to have been used by bandits or outlaw gangs, indicates possible sites used by them."

Attachments

• Motherlode2-sites-Hosssauce.jpg
    Motherlode2-sites-Hosssauce.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Hosssauce,
Dowsing revealed an attraction to gemstones in the white rectangle. Rough opals/petrified wood <5' deep
White diamonds: Native diamonds Loose concentration <15' deep
White triangles: Gold/silver bars and mine area. <60' deep concealed shaft/adit going into side of mountain.
Blue circle: Silver attraction. Possible bars, <10' deep
White circles: Native gold. Loose pockets spread out surface to 6' deep
Green circle: Placer gold. Surface to 3' deep, small pocket deposits.
Yellow X: Small amount of platinum. Small nuggets spread out.
White line: Precious metal vein, gold/silver combination.
Thx for posting your picture,
Jon
MotherlodeDowsed.jpg

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enlarged and added depth to the lilac boxes. It would be hard to measure the depth of each hole, but if they more or less seem to follow the depth pattern.....could be the holes, then you'd have to research for any gem mining done in the past. If not, might be something else in the ground. I think there is a type of rock found in Wyoming that when it weathers, leaves behind small grains of tourmaline. Won't know until checking it out.

Attachments

• Motherlode-lilac-depth.jpg
    Motherlode-lilac-depth.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 60

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread