Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In 1921 a Wells Fargo shipment of 265 gold bars was stolen. It has been well documented and researched by several treasure hunting groups. No one has been able to find it. It is believed to be somewhere in this area. Can anyone on this forum pinpoint the location? I will go there and check it out.

Gold Bars.jpg

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
gold bars

Here are two close ups...

Attachments

• 3 rivers 16.jpg
    3 rivers 16.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 3 creeks 16.jpg
    3 creeks 16.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 150

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like a silly question...

If its been well documented with little to no success... how and or why would somebody be able to give you the location? Just seems a little silly to me. Why not go check the whole area over again? being of such high weight, would it not just sink down to the clay or rock layer and settle? (I'd never give the location if I knew where 265 gold bars lay)

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Salvor6, Hope you can get there Saturday morning!! Sounds like a job for a TM808.

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am familiar with the area and know of some of the Gold , Silver, and weapons buried in that area. It's mostly low ground with the water table running 2-6 feet. You won't find any treasure above that depth. An attempt was made to recover a Gold bar in shallow water near the railroad bridge but it was resting on a thin strata of sand and when that strata was broken the bar sank in the soft muck beyond reach.

OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I don't know what size the gold bars are but they are not finger bars. When I said this is well documented I meant that a researcher found the newspaper article describing the theft. A genealogist found the people involved. The black man that found the bars is called Wilson. He made it to Jacksonville and then died of leukemia before he could go back for them. The late Don Webb (peg-leg on this forum), his great aunt was a telephone operator at the time and she overheard a phone conversation about Wilson dumping the gold somewhere in this area. The Wells Fargo chest was on display in a museum in Miami for many years before it disappeared.

OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks aarthr, Dell and the others that replied to me with a PM. I will be going out to this site once I can assemble my team and schedule a trip.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks aarthr, Dell and the others that replied to me with a PM. I will be going out to this site once I can assemble my team and schedule a trip.

a team? to dig just over a foot? is the team to apply sunscreen?

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what size the gold bars are but they are not finger bars. When I said this is well documented I meant that a researcher found the newspaper article describing the theft. A genealogist found the people involved. The black man that found the bars is called Wilson. He made it to Jacksonville and then died of leukemia before he could go back for them. The late Don Webb (peg-leg on this forum), his great aunt was a telephone operator at the time and she overheard a phone conversation about Wilson dumping the gold somewhere in this area. The Wells Fargo chest was on display in a museum in Miami for many years before it disappeared.

This was Peg-Leg's site we investigated. Pegleg was there with us. Dell

OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jeff like I said there are others that replied to me with a PM. There is more than one site to check out. One guy said it is 15' deep. No, we will not be using sunscreen but we will use Deep Woods Off!

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulse Star makes a two-meter square coil. The one called the Universal coil you have to build your own frame. The one-meter coil probably will not go 15 feet unless it is a very big stack of bars. Even the two-meter is not likely to hit a small target at 15 feet but you will have a better chance.

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My personal assessment.

The logistics of getting to the sites marked can be daunting. Only 1-3 feet of water in the waterway near the house & railroad bridge. The house is private property with a locked gate. No one lives there. Permission would have to be obtained to enter. I had permission for 2 hours then we had to leave. Most of the area is marshland and is a National wildlife refuge with no trespassing penalty signs posted. An air boat might be an option, but I doubt if it would be allowed. If caught, Treasure Hunters could face confiscation of vehicles and equipment, heavy fines, legal fees, and, or, prison.

Dowsers need to consider that the small squares marking your treasure location on the Google Earth photo, that when zoomed in cover a lot of territory to search. Too much for a metal detector in difficult terrain, hot sun, lightning storms, snakes and Mosquitoes. We need to be more specific in our locations if we are to be helpful. Thanks!

Jeff, I am afraid your sarcastic remarks only reflect your ignorance of the problems and expense Treasure Hunter/Salvors face when attempting any search and recovery project. We come to these forum seeking and sharing information and knowledge. I'm sorry you don't respect that.

Signal Line: Salvor 6, and Aquanut, are professional salvors. The Pulse star is a part of their metal detector arsenal. Thanks for good advice. Dell

Last edited:

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Seems like a silly question...

If its been well documented with little to no success... how and or why would somebody be able to give you the location? Just seems a little silly to me. Why not go check the whole area over again? being of such high weight, would it not just sink down to the clay or rock layer and settle? (I'd never give the location if I knew where 265 gold bars lay)

It's Private property.

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No matter what you use, be it a TM 808,a Pulse Star, or any other large coiled, deep seeking metal detector,you are going to have to dig that deep. If your target is real deep,you might need a backhoe to do the job. Are you ready for that?

If you do not know how to field dowse or are not sure of your dowsing skill, here is how to avoid digging lots of empty holes for missed targets. I call it: Walking the string.

For this example, I am going to refer to the TM 808.

Buy or find four empty 5 gallon white plastic buckets. Many times you will see them lying empty on the sides of roads. A smaller bucket will do, but they need to be plastic.

The size of the area you want to search, determines the amount of string you will need. As an example for a 500 X 500 foot area buy 1000 feet of string from you nearest hardware store. A 1000 foot roll of string will cover many areas of interest and then some.

Go to the suspected treasure area.

Fill number one and number two buckets full of dirt to make them heavy and place them side by side on the ground.

Tie the end of your string to one bucket.

Unrolling the string as you go along,walk to and place buckets three and four 500 feet away from buckets one and two. Fill them full of dirt and place them side by side on the ground..

With your TM 808 turned on to scan, walk back to buckets one and two by following and unrolling the string as you go along.

Upon reaching buckets one and two, go around them and untie the string.

Follow the string back to buckets three and four, scanning and pulling the string as you go along.

Following the string you pull as you go back and forth over the area shows where you have scanned.

Each time you return to the buckets,move them sideways in the direction you want to go to cover the remaining target area.

No matter the size of your target area,you can cover every inch of it without scanning the same area twice,which can waste hours of time in a very large area..

Which is better, wasting time digging empty holes or spending time scanning every inch of an area and possibly finding your treasure? Of course, you may just find junk or nothing at all.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread