Dowsing with a metal detector

point hunter

Feb 1, 2007
West Monroe, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI 2500
Hi. I been doing this off and on for a few years now. I don't get to detect much, but I have found a way to increase my "hits". I made a small L rod from a coat hanger and put the handle end in a empty plastic pen body like a cheap bic pen. This allows the rod to turn 360 degrees freely when held in my hand. You can also add a small witness chamber, but it really doesn't help me. I can't discriminate signals worth a flip. LOL Anyway, the rod indicates the closest signal to me, then I check with my metal detector and dig it up. Then the rod will find the next, and the next, until I get tired of digging. Now, like I said, I can't tell what my rod is locating. However, it is saving me a great deal of time not having to go over all that empty ground space. I know there will be plenty who say this can't be done. To them all I can say is, try it. It works for me and maybe it will help some other Tnet members as well.

OP
OP
point hunter

point hunter

Feb 1, 2007
West Monroe, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI 2500
One thing, I forgot to mention that will help you some. I noticed that the rod would follow my wedding band when I moved the band around the rod. The rod would track the direction of the band. I got the "whirly bird" L rod idea from an old treasure hunter that had passed away. His wife had one that belonged to him and he used it to detect long range "treasure" signals. By using a gold or silver object in one hand and the "whirly bird" in the other it will help build your trust in what the rod is telling you in the field.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread