What do you take on your Hunts

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
This is what I take on every hunt, I have a backpack with The following in it. 2 gold pans, 1 inch and 1/2 inch screens that fits a 5 gallon bucket, a good garden trowl, a fold up milatary shovel, a shower curtain to put the material on to sperate it if I have to, a snake bite kit. a big spoon, some sharp stuff to clean cracks. I take a fanny pack with a compass, knife, saveyor tape, marker nails, small hammer and TP. What everelse I think I may need is in the the 2 Five gallon buckets and a Bota Bag of water. Always prepared....Art

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When in the desert on a trip, I had some of those things plus a half gollon jug of water in the backpack with TP and spade, hammer pick, gold pans, most important a plastic jar full of trail mix containing peanuts (dried fruit, MMs, etc.), gps, compass.

OP
OP
aarthrj3811

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
most important a plastic jar full of trail mix containing peanuts (dried fruit, MMs, etc.), gps, compass..
I seldom carry my GPS as it interferes with my rods. I only take it if I think I will need its information to file a claim or whatever. I used to be able to navigate without a compass but the magic pole has moved so far east that I am having trouble...Ary

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seldom carry my GPS as it interferes with my rods. I only take it if I think I will need its information to file a claim or whatever. I used to be able to navigate without a compass but the magic pole has moved so far east that I am having trouble...Ary
I like to mark a spot sometimes on a gps, you take a trip to the SW, need to get back to it maybe.

Oh yes, once my rods took me straight across a claim on a diagonal line to a claim area of many tailing piles. I tried looking for the spot later visually and just could not find it again. So, tried going across the same path my rods had taken me before, this time not using any rods. One cactus looks like another and this wash looks like the other washes. Finally realized with my rods or gps kept going in circles.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tailing piles looked really old. Off just out of site in one direction, was a place the old timers must have used dynamite to blast away a hardpan gravel slope end of a low ridge. From the top you would look straight down 10-12 ft to the ground. Up a litle higher you look down 12-15 ft and can almost reach out to grab the tops of small trees. No signs to warn people walking from the other direction. You can still see the remaims of shallow grooves from the dynamite drill holes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread