Can lucky number "7" be used in dowsing and in metal detecting for better performanc?

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can lucky number "7" be used in dowsing and in metal detecting for better performanc?

I came across the following idea yesterday when an American Indian lady friend of mine gave me a “Sage.” She said if I ever get down, depressed or want some good luck, just burn it and smell the fragrance. It really smells nice without being burnt. I told her I would not burn it as it smells great as is and I want to keep it. Then I got to thinking about something, and the rest is below.

Can the lucky number “7” be used in metal detecting and dowsing to enhance performance? Possibly, but maybe after it is understood beyond being a mere “superstition” thing, at least that is evidently how God sees it.

The bible tells us God spent 6 days creating the earth, and then rested on the seventh (7th).

The number “7” is directly related to bringing down the walls of Jericho by the Israelites under the command of Joshua. Here is that story.
Listen to what God tells Joshua: ‘You and your fighting men are to march around the city. March around it once each day for six days. Carry the Ark of the Covenant with you. Seven priests should walk ahead of it and blow their horns.
‘On the seventh day you should march around the city seven times. Then give a long sound on the horns, and have everyone shout with a great war cry. And the walls will fall down flat!’

Joshua and the people do what God says. While they march, everyone is silent. No one speaks a word. All that can be heard is the sound of the horns and the marching feet. The enemies of God’s people in Jerʹi·cho must have been afraid. Can you see that red cord hanging from a window? Whose window is that? Yes, Raʹhab has done what the two spies told her to do. All her family is inside watching with her.

Finally, on the seventh day, after marching around the city seven times, the horns sound, the fighting men shout, and the walls fall. Then Joshua says: ‘Kill everyone in the city and burn it. Burn everything. Save only the silver, gold, copper and iron, and give them to the treasury of Jehovah’s tent.’

To the two spies, Joshua says: ‘Go into the house of Raʹhab, and bring her and all her family out.’ Raʹhab and her family are saved, just as the spies had promised her.

In all, the number “7 is used in the Bible more than seven hundred (700) times. If we also count the words related to seven (terms like sevenfold or seventy or seven hundred), the count is still higher. Of course, not every instance of the number 7” in the Bible carries a deeper significance. Sometimes, a 7 is just a 7, and we must be cautious about attaching symbolic meanings to any text, especially when Scripture is not explicit about such meanings. However, there are times when it seems that God is communicating the idea of divine completeness, perfection, and wholeness by means of the number “7.

I am not a gambler, but I believe in the gambling world, “7” is considered a “lucky number”.

I have a diet plan that is actually a grazing plan for eating that is very effective to losing weight. It says, eat the plan for six (6) days, and then eat what I want on the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] day. My 7[SUP]th[/SUP] day for “pigging out” is Sunday; chocolate cookies, cakes, hamburgers, sodas, ice cream etc.

So, is it possible to attach to oneself while dowsing or when using an electronic metal detector for that matter, a number “7” lucky charm and get better performance from doing so? You decide.

I am up to my eye brows in mud from the snow and rain, so no dowsing finds today.

Stay tuned.
the

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Ahhhh,no.

If you're relying on science , then you're correct with the "no".

But Lesjcbs has gone on record as attributing the power of dowsing to supernatural forces (Ie.: mystical, or of a religious nature, spooks, or whatever). So in THAT case, we can't say "no". Because it's beyond the ability of science to measure.

So the question dabbles in what is the power in the first place ? Rods move on their own via a scientific (albeit uknown) reason ? Or via a mystical supernatural method ? If it's the latter, then ... I'd still say "no". But ... that's the denominational persuasion, and view of Biblical things, that I hold.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
It all depends on how you look at things.The "no" is my opinion.Its all shitz luck.Right place right time,wrong place wrong time.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
But Lesjcbs has gone on record as attributing the power of dowsing to supernatural forces (Ie.: mystical, or of a religious nature, spooks, or whatever). So in THAT case, we can't say "no". Because it's beyond the ability of science to measure.
When did Les do that, I don't see any of your pet words in any of the page after page of Scientific ports on this board.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When did Les do that, I don't see any of your pet words in any of the page after page of Scientific ports on this board.
Art, you are correct. I like Einstein's take on dowsing about how we don't fully understand the capability of the human nervous system. There's nothing spooky about it. That is only for the confused and troubled mind of the skeptic to wrestle with.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
When did Les do that, I don't see any of your pet words....

I would have to scroll back and find them . And then you would see, yes, this is his explanation . WHICH IS TOTALLY FINE (I've not disputed it, as that would enter into a realm/discussion of religion). And you're right : he no doubt used different words. But it boiled down to supernatural. I don't know what words you want to use. If you would like, I would be more than happy to assemble a list of the links.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Well, I just scrolled back, and I stand somewhat corrected. Les does go most always with the "undiscovered science" explanation. So I stand corrected. It's been a few others that have gone mostly 100% @ the divination-type explanation.

The only ones I could find that hinted that Les was sympathetic with the supernatural explanation was :

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/dowsing/596259-talk-talk-enough-talk-already-9.html

#126 + #165, #37, #25 refers to "negative vibes" (as if some sort of thought transmissions are occurring ?)

Of, of course, this "lucky #7" post can kind of be chalked up to inter-mixing it with supernatural (or ... whatever a person chooses to call it). But otherwise: I stand corrected, and the majority of said posts attribute it to some sort of undiscovered science. Which would NOT be to involve anything religious in nature.

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have to scroll back and find them . And then you would see, yes, this is his explanation . WHICH IS TOTALLY FINE (I've not disputed it, as that would enter into a realm/discussion of religion). And you're right : he no doubt used different words. But it boiled down to supernatural. I don't know what words you want to use. If you would like, I would be more than happy to assemble a list of the links.
Please do and when you do, please reference my Einstein quote in my signature block below.

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perhaps this article will shed light on using lucky charms while using an electronic metal detector or when dowsing. It is a little lengthy. How lucky charms really work
TAGS:
COGNITIVE PSYCHOLOGYCONSCIOUSNESSCULTUREGOAL DIRECTED BEHAVIORSELF-ESTEEMSPORTSSUPERSTITIONTASK PERFORMANCE
Wade Boggs, the former Red Sox slugger and third baseman, was very ritualistic about his warm-ups. For night games, he took batting practice at precisely 5:17 and ran wind sprints at exactly 7:17. He fielded 150 ground balls before every game, never more nor less, and always ended his infield practice by stepping—in the same order—on third, second and first base, then the baseline, followed by two steps in the coaching box and four more steps into the dugout. He ate chicken before every game, and even though he was not Jewish, he scratched the Hebrew word for “life” in the dirt before every at-bat.

Boggs had a career batting average of .328, earning him a spot on the Hall of Fame.

Coincidence? Most scientists dismiss superstitions as inconsequential fictions, the creations of irrational minds. Yet many people—and not just ball players—firmly believe in lucky charms and rituals, from rabbits’ feet to crossed fingers to expressions like “break a leg.” Boggs may have been more elaborate in his magical thinking, but his belief in the supernatural was far from unusual.

Psychologists have long been fascinated with such thinking, but most research so far has focused on the sources of superstition—where magical beliefs come from. Recently, however, a few scientists have begun to explore the heretical idea that lucky charms may actually work. Is it possible that such irrational thinking really does improve performance? And if so, what is the psychological mechanism at work?

Psychologist Lysann Damisch of the University of Koln, Germany, is among those who believe that lucky charms may indeed be effective, and she has an idea about why. She suspects that the activation of superstitious thinking directly prior to a task may boost a person’s confidence in his or her ability to succeed—what’s known as self-efficacy—which in turn boosts expectations and persistence, thus improving performance. She decided to test this idea in a series of experiments.

The first two experiments were similar. In one, Damisch had a group of volunteers putt golf balls about four feet into the hole—so not hugely difficult but definitely missable. But before they attempted this, she told about half of them that they were playing with a “lucky” ball, while the others just got a regular golf ball. Similarly in a second experiment, the volunteers attempted a difficult hand-held dexterity game; but before they did, half were told: “I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you.” In other words, in each study, only some of the volunteers had their superstitious thinking sparked, while the others simply performed the task. And the results were the same in both tests. Those “feeling lucky” did much better than did those with no magic on their side.

So good luck charms did clearly improve performance, but how? Damisch ran a couple more experiments to test her ideas about confidence, expectations and persistence. She again had volunteers perform difficult tasks—in this case memory and anagram tests. And again, she made only some of the volunteers “lucky”–now by having them bring their own personal charms to the test site. But in these studies she also measured the volunteers’ confidence and effectiveness; their expectations for their performance; and how long they persevered before giving up.

The results were unambiguous. As reported on-line last week in the journal Psychological Science, those with their personal lucky charms in their possession were much more confident going into the performance. This confidence in turn caused the players to set higher personal goals and expectations and to persist longer at the task—all of which added up to excellent performance. In short, nothing magical about it.

Lucky charms are prevalent in most world cultures, and have been for eons. This evidence for their potency may help explain why this is so. All-Star performances no doubt require much more than talismans. Wade Boggs combined exceptional talent and years of hard work, but apparently those chicken dinners and wind sprints at precisely 7:17 didn’t hurt.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Please do and when you do, please reference my Einstein quote in my signature block below.

Yes. I did. We jinxed each other on the timing of our posts. And I recanted of my over-generalized statement. Please accept my apologies. You have only made passing allusions to it. While, yes, the majority of the time, and in your avetar, are giving the much greater emphasis to something scientific. Heck, even the "Human nervous system" can be said to be scientific (albeit unknown). I have no idea how that can influence a rod to point to metal. But you're right, that's not to say "supernatural" or "God", etc...

So I stand corrected. It was another few that had chalked it seemingly entirely up to mystical and divination. You had only slightly gone that direction, and only a few times. So ... I stand corrected.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
As for your post # 10 about this: That's simply psychosomatic positive thinking. I don't think that you really think that a "charm" can bring someone "luck" (or improve their dowsing, or whatever), right ? Unless you meant that as merely the psychological trick of how persons tend to "try harder".

If a person were truly to believe that there's an inherent power or force in a rabbits foot or charm or something , then .... that's where it begins to dabble in the supernatural.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Gee Tom...Did you ever try dowsing? Most of us could care less about all the fake stuff you guys talk about. I can dowse and will not stop by a fake Boogie man.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Gee Tom...Did you ever try dowsing?....

And if I did, and said that it produced no results (ie.: didn't work) , then what would that conclude or show ? Nothing. It would be inconclusive to the conversation at hand.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid we read a story in school something like The 49th Dragon. The guy was given this special word to say each time before slaying a dragon. So he had killed 48 dragons then the 49th dragon appeared and he could not remember the word to say. Still he was able to slay that dragon. Just a placebo effect like that calculator taped to a transistor radio antenna. In the legal world that's called fraud.

In Africa people would wear a talisman pendant to protect them from crocodiles. Thousands were killed and the excuse was they cheated on their spouse or whatever.

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
When I was a young man working in construction a co worker couldn't locate a water line and didn't want to hit it with the excavator. He pulled out two pieces of copper wire shaped like big L's and held one in each hand walking slowly across a 20 foot area where we knew there was a water line buried. The two wires crossed above the water line. I didn't believe him and thought he was pulling my chain. He then gave me the large L's made of copper and I tried it myself. It's hard to not believe when you have done it yourself. We then got back to digging and sure enough, the water line was right there. This was a 3/4 inch water line running from the street up to the home.
I love to metal detect and have never tried to dowse finding treasure but that doesn't mean someone out there can't.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... In Africa people would wear a talisman pendant to protect them from crocodiles. Thousands were killed and the excuse was they cheated on their spouse or whatever.

Well in that case, yes: It's not that the talisman good luck charm pendant didn't work. It was for extraneous reasons (cheating on your spouse, or barometric pressure, or minerals in the ground, etc...) that it didn't work in those particular cases of deaths. The talisman pendant, on the other hand, was working perfectly.

OP
OP
lesjcbs

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As for your post # 10 about this: That's simply psychosomatic positive thinking. I don't think that you really think that a "charm" can bring someone "luck" (or improve their dowsing, or whatever), right ? Unless you meant that as merely the psychological trick of how persons tend to "try harder".

If a person were truly to believe that there's an inherent power or force in a rabbits foot or charm or something , then .... that's where it begins to dabble in the supernatural.
What is a Psychosomatic Disorder? The term “psychosomatic disorder” is mainly used to mean “a physical disease that is thought to be caused, or made worse, by mental factors.” The term is also used when mental factors cause physical symptoms but where there is no physical disease. I firmly believe in positive thinking, and in reality, you do also. If you did not, you would not even get out of bed to go metal detecting for fear of something bad happening. This article I posted here shows how that works with help from a lucky Charm. If you think you can, you might be right. But if you say you cannot, you are absolutely correct. Also, when some people are in the room, they brighten it up with their positive attitude. But there are people who when they leave the room, they brighten it up. You yourself have experienced both these situations and do not say you haven't. So it is with dowsing and ones brain becoming a more sensitive receiver from a target signal over there. The presence of a lucky charm increases the confidence and the dowser becomes more effective. I mental dowse so a lucky charm would fit me nicely. Right now I don't have one, but after reading this article, I am going to get one and will wear it only when I go dowsing. I will also post a picture of it here on TN when I get it. Perhaps you might know where I can get a real nice one?

Last edited:

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Einstein's take on dowsing about how we don't fully understand the capability of the human nervous system.

All we can really say is that Einstein didn't understand dowsing. Other scientists did, even in 1946.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread