Spanish Dipping Needle

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the Simmons/Anderson spring handle modification upgrade!
Jon

Tele, I had this type in 1980's and this one is same as I had, looks like. Carl Anderson was making and selling back then.
That spring handle will make it bounce back up hard enough to make your hand move. Carl also had plastic handles that
came with it. Plastic replaced whale bones.. Ain't plastic great?? Bumpers, door lock innards, roll-up gears in auto windows,
Grocery bags. This dip needle is well made.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You actually reported this person? Lol, how pathetic. Let the mods do their job and you keep to your own concerns.

Seasiat, Seebeeron is doing exactly what members are suppose to do, notify mods of rules being violated.

Here is another rule, you cant join under multiple names and you cant join under new name when your banned under another name for violating our rules.

Say bye.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure but I think the dip needle is supposed to find magnetic ore bodies that are hopefully associated with gold.

Last edited:

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure but I think the dip needle is supposed to find magnetic ore bodies that are hopefully associated with gold.
Yes, the real ancient ones were a compass held vertically by a cord/chain and would react to magnetic minerals, did not have the glass tube that typically contained pyrite in the ones I've seen that were made in the 1800's and newer. I've seen some with pyrite, magnetite, hematite in the round glass tube as well, I feel the material in the tube served as a "bait". Pyrite is magnetic and can form with gold under certain conditions, so back then it's what they had in the dip needle plus I think the "gold" color helped as a "witness" to the gold, should the operator choose to apply it that way, just my opinion.
Jon

Last edited:

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only seen two real Spanish Dip Needles in my life for sale years ago at an auction house. Both were huge and made out of wood. Very Old. They both had a large (12 inch or more) jeweled bearing ships compass at one end turned sideways and supported on a two prong fork of wood. They had a handle in the middle for carrying kind of like a deep seeker modern metal detector. They both had a balance weight on the other end opposite the heavy compass and it came in a ancient wooden carrying case. It was rumored the ships compass could find an ore body a 1/4 of a mile down. But mainly it was used for finding near surface gold or silver ore bodies, Iron Ore, caves and magnetite deposits. Back then there was no interference from modern electrical devices or power lines so they could locate Gold very easy.

I'm working on one of those deposits right now. There is no way they could have found it otherwise as it's a good 70 feet down.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that I think about it, I don't think that is called a dip needle, more like a Miner's compass. The Spanish dip needles are like two pairs of knitting needles loosely tied together at the ends and two people use then sort of like a "Y" rod or forked stick (actually like 2 "Y" rods connected) that is used for water dowsing. Like the Ouija Board cursor, if one person flinches the other responds. That has to be extremely difficult to use without getting false responses, but never used one.

Of course if you do an internet search you end up with the Miner's Compass. I don't know the percentage of inaccurate info on the net but it's huge. The dip needles pretty much a lost art. So lost, most people do not even know what they are and confuse them with the Miner's Compass. Fred Stewart used to sell them. The photo shows the needles angled upwards and the info says two people hold them facing each other and to follow the direction they lean towards, then when over the target them pull down or dip.

And I've never prospected with a Miner's Compass and never used the Spanish Dip Needles, either. Just thinking about it with two people it might be that one person goes into a trance and the other sort of guides them around. So when they get a hit, the other person magnifies the response. So it could be very sensitive in the right hands, but looks horribly difficult to me--sort of like a walking Ouija Board. LOL This is all just a guess.

Last edited:

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only seen two real Spanish Dip Needles in my life for sale years ago at an auction house. Both were huge and made out of wood. Very Old. They both had a large (12 inch or more) jeweled bearing ships compass at one end turned sideways and supported on a two prong fork of wood. They had a handle in the middle for carrying kind of like a deep seeker modern metal detector. They both had a balance weight on the other end opposite the heavy compass and it came in a ancient wooden carrying case. It was rumored the ships compass could find an ore body a 1/4 of a mile down. But mainly it was used for finding near surface gold or silver ore bodies, Iron Ore, caves and magnetite deposits. Back then there was no interference from modern electrical devices or power lines so they could locate Gold very easy.

I'm working on one of those deposits right now. There is no way they could have found it otherwise as it's a good 70 feet down.
That's really cool, just like a metal detector's coil, the larger the diameter the deeper/larger target detected!
Jon :occasion14: :headbang:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Miner's compass not really much to do with dowsing. I think people mistake it's appearance because it contains the iron pyrite. That is slightly magnetic and I guess it blocks other, surrounding magnetic fields. Sort of like a bucking coil on an induction balance metal detector coil. That's not a bait chamber.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd dowse with it if I come across one!
Jon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread