Is the dowsing true or not?

Esperian

Jul 27, 2019
Lightning Ridge, NSW
Detector(s) used
Tianxun TX850 G2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I want to tell you a true story of something that happen to me many years ago.
While working on Opal Fields in Australia as a young fellow, I stumbled in the field across an old guy from England who came there to "get some opal" as he said, cause he "run out for the moment" he said.
Well... He seemed like "just coming in and out" get some opal, contrary to majority of miners who spent years working their asses out in sweat, and rarely only striking a bit of potch, and even less often some colour. Being sceptical I told him, well, good luck to you. But he saw my doubts, and shown me his two "L" shaped coat hanger rods. This is what I am finding it with, he said. It works for me every time, he said.
To cut story short. He has shown me how he does it, and I was amazed to see how these rods responded as he walked in the area with them. He told me to try it myself, handing me his rods. And they didn't respond to my handling, although I repeated exactly what he did.
Well... It doesn't work with me I said. But no! Said old fellow. Everyone can do it! If you don't have it in you, it is so just because nobody introduced you to it, and you never tried it yourself. And he told me to hod the rods as he did and walked together with me, slightly touching my arm while we walked with these rods. And... You know what?! The rods came alive. They started to respond exactly as they did to him, as I walked with them, continuing just by myself.
And, so far. This "thing" stayed with me since that time. It works, except it doesn't show it here is colour or not. So good luck is involved in it too, unfortunately. But it finds Opal, which the potch is obviously too. Potch is the Opal, but with no colour in it. It works well for finding water, and other things, too. Anything at all, as the old Pommy told me so many years ago.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. Interesting story. I've heard it has to do with magnetism, I think I tried it once. It didn't like me! That was a long time ago. Now I just use a metal detector.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, Esperian, I'm not filled with the spirit, and have been told not to comment, so I won't. Good luck to you, and welcome. If you live right there in Lightning Ridge, you would be the opal expert. I love Aussie opals, though, and would love to see some of your finds.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learning to dowse takes tremendous amounts of practice with feedback. As one dowser put it, "Start at age five and practice every healthy day. By the time you reach thirty years old you will have reached your plateau. That does not mean you will be a good dowser--that depends on how much effort you put into it."

"Nobody hits 100%."

Physical dowsing like walking in the field with a rod (also known as ethereal or pre-physical) is more accurate. Map dowsing (also known as astral or psychic) is much less reliable or accurate.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It works well for finding water, and other things, too. Anything at all, as the old Pommy told me so many years ago.

It's true, dowsing can find opals, diamonds, gold, iron, water, dirt, even air. Anything at all. Everything at all.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learning to dowse takes tremendous amounts of practice with feedback. As one dowser put it, "Start at age five and practice every healthy day. By the time you reach thirty years old you will have reached your plateau. That does not mean you will be a good dowser--that depends on how much effort you put into it."

"Nobody hits 100%."

Physical dowsing like walking in the field with a rod (also known as ethereal or pre-physical) is more accurate. Map dowsing (also known as astral or psychic) is much less reliable or accurate.
With me, I saw a friend who was playing around with some home made rods. I picked them up and they did what ever I asked of them. Not sure why, but had me a pair of sticks or what ever and I can make them run, from day one

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to tell you a true story of something that happen to me many years ago.
While working on Opal Fields in Australia as a young fellow, I stumbled in the field across an old guy from England who came there to "get some opal" as he said, cause he "run out for the moment" he said.
Well... He seemed like "just coming in and out" get some opal, contrary to majority of miners who spent years working their asses out in sweat, and rarely only striking a bit of potch, and even less often some colour. Being sceptical I told him, well, good luck to you. But he saw my doubts, and shown me his two "L" shaped coat hanger rods. This is what I am finding it with, he said. It works for me every time, he said.
To cut story short. He has shown me how he does it, and I was amazed to see how these rods responded as he walked in the area with them. He told me to try it myself, handing me his rods. And they didn't respond to my handling, although I repeated exactly what he did.
Well... It doesn't work with me I said. But no! Said old fellow. Everyone can do it! If you don't have it in you, it is so just because nobody introduced you to it, and you never tried it yourself. And he told me to hod the rods as he did and walked together with me, slightly touching my arm while we walked with these rods. And... You know what?! The rods came alive. They started to respond exactly as they did to him, as I walked with them, continuing just by myself.
And, so far. This "thing" stayed with me since that time. It works, except it doesn't show it here is colour or not. So good luck is involved in it too, unfortunately. But it finds Opal, which the potch is obviously too. Potch is the Opal, but with no colour in it. It works well for finding water, and other things, too. Anything at all, as the old Pommy told me so many years ago.
Glad you brought this up. I was considering a trip to the Peacock Opal mine, Nevada tailing piles. It would be easier to retrieve, than digging down for a Diamond in Arkansas. Diamonds or Opals which one first is my decision. Wasn’t sure opals we’re Dowsable. I have none. I do have a frequency for fire opal, but I no longer use electronics. Dowsing is allowed at the Diamond mine, but not sure at the opal mine. Dowser
U

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you brought this up. I was considering a trip to the Peacock Opal mine, Nevada tailing piles. It would be easier to retrieve, than digging down for a Diamond in Arkansas. Diamonds or Opals which one first is my decision. Wasn’t sure opals we’re Dowsable. I have none. I do have a frequency for fire opal, but I no longer use electronics. Dowsing is allowed at the Diamond mine, but not sure at the opal mine. Dowser
U
I didn't want to dig at Crater of Diamonds to process gravel for diamonds. I tried a little once in my classifier gold pan with rabbit cage mesh inside bottom of pan. Had smaller mesh round pans but smaller size diameter. Soon discovered the clay balls that form in your pan. It would have taken a potato masher to break them up. I talked to a couple who were getting 2-3 diamonds out of 3 buckets of gravel.

However. dowsing for good cutting rough is very easy. Problem is don't have lapidary equipment myself. Got about 80-90 lbs of diamond ore still sitting around. There are some rare crystalline forms of lamproite ore to be found in Arkansas.

I won't post any of the large sandwhich cookie agates (total 22) or other stuff, here is what diamond ore looks like in crystalline form.

lamproiteCrystalline_A1.png

lamproiteCrystalline_A2.png

Keep rotating, turning this large specimen to see all the angles.

lamproiteCrystalline_B1.png

lamproiteCrystalline_B2.png

lamproiteCrystalline_B3.png

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be interesting to see photos of your opal finds. I know once your L-rods start working for you, on finding 1 type of mineral, picking it up becomes easy.

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be interesting to see photos of your opal finds. I know once your L-rods start working for you, on finding 1 type of mineral, picking it up becomes easy.
I get signal every day at some time or another as I check. Still to weak to travel for treasure. I’ve been to Arkansas diamond mine. Did signal one in a guys bucket of gravel from down at hardpan. He had 6 buckets but only one signaled. It was a rainy muddy day, so I didn’t hang around to see. I’ve been looking forward to returning for quite some time. Is that Diamond ore from Arkansas? I’ve Dowsed some nice targets but didn’t dig. Didn’t think about ore. I think I’ll start my retirement off with Peacock Opal mine. Is Opals that are found in the tailing piles degraded somewhat, because they didn’t get put in water right away? Dowser

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" Is Opals that are found in the tailing piles degraded somewhat, because they didn’t get put in water right away? Dowser"

Not necessarily, often times they have been overlooked by the "wall diggers." It's cheaper to go through the piles tho. If you've never been, go early in the season. It gets hotter than the "hubs of hell" over there...but it was fun!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get signal every day at some time or another as I check. Still to weak to travel for treasure. I’ve been to Arkansas diamond mine. Did signal one in a guys bucket of gravel from down at hardpan. He had 6 buckets but only one signaled. It was a rainy muddy day, so I didn’t hang around to see. I’ve been looking forward to returning for quite some time. Is that Diamond ore from Arkansas? I’ve Dowsed some nice targets but didn’t dig. Didn’t think about ore. I think I’ll start my retirement off with Peacock Opal mine. Is Opals that are found in the tailing piles degraded somewhat, because they didn’t get put in water right away? Dowser
Yes, it is diamond ore from Arkansas. Once brought to the surface, after 1st winter exposed, the ore begins to soften. During the days of the diamond mining company was there in Arkansas, the ore was put in piles to weather. They stirred the piles as the ore got soft. You don't crush the ore, later is run over a greased table.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread