jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to see what everyone here thinks about this.
This is a photo of my claim, it was dredged previously with a line bucket dredge. You can see where I have the tailing piles circled. In between these two areas is a spot with no tailing's. Where the X is. It is a sandy gravel type soil and no tailing's.
I was told that those big old dredges could not dredge where the bedrock was shallow, looking at this photo there is a ridge that runs down near the river and maybe runs shallow under the river.
Does anyone know if they could have pulled the dredge over to the next spot (over the ground) without dredging.
This could be very good dredging ground if that was the case.
Thanks for any info or input you may have.

Attachments

• Granite claim.jpg
    Granite claim.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,189

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely a non productive spot that was skipped over. BLDs created their own ponds as they went and high bedrock did not stop many because of this. Try your state geo dept/local yokel historical society for more info on dredge construction to ascertain whatzup. They left crescent shaped half moon paystreaks that were laid down as the stackers splayed back and forth on their spud poles.Found many MANY pounds this a way--your turn-- tons a au 2 u2 -John

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply John, I will do some checking to see what type of dredge was used there. I know they dredged there own ponds but wasn't sure if they could move them over the ground without having enough water to float them.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the eqyptians and the aztecas the boyz of old had absolutely amazing testiculiar fortitude to accomplish the most amazing feats---with chinese and mex labor that is and shear man power is a amazing thing. The garnered info from multiple sources allows you to look for exactly what the boyz of old threw away. Some chucked everything under a 1" or over 3" and there you go with your equipment requirements for the specific area--John :laughing7:

WildernessAU

Dec 25, 2009
Jog, I have a similar situation. An outwash plain was placered .5miles above my section of river before it enters a bedrock valley and another .5 mi below my claim was bucket lined in a section where the valley open/ widens out. To me it appears that the previously worked areas are deeper to bedrock and void of large boulders but are also areas where heavies would be more likely to settle out. I am hoping that most of the gold wasn't flushed out of my section and only wasn't worked because of the large boulders and nearer bedrock. My area needs more testing but shows good initial near surface values.
If your unworked matrix is similar in size to the old tailings then they probably left it because of lower values.....though it most certainly still would contain gold.....do some digging.

Hoser, these crescent shaped paystreaks you speak of..........are you talking about uncut crescents/ridges of material left in the dredge hole or the outer edge of the dredge hole/cut face?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
( length of dredge and stacker ( length of dredge and stacker ( repeat When they stacked over or undersized materials the huge piles generally were pretty much laid down to some extent over the years. The lost gold is thus concentrated in these half moon remains. Dig into the remains about half way down and at a 45 degree angle and you'll be pleasently surprised,most of the time,no exact science to working for the crumbs from someone elses dinner plate. John

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Sumpter Oregon they have a line bucket dredge as part of the state park. I have been there and looked at this dredge. By looking at the bucket design I can't see how they would be very affective on or near bedrock.
If the bedrock is fairly shallow and it hasn't been worked it could pay dearly. The courser and more fractured the better.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Them monsterous buckets weighed tons(500-2,000) and them teeth ripped,shredded and tore the bedrock asunder easily. Constant barrage of massive machinery in a unrelenting frenzy indeed made the bedrock!!John :notworthy:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you positive they were bucket line dredges??There was also the little Doodlebug dredges that were highly mobile.They would often go back where the big dredges couldnt and did very well.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dragline---clamshell buckets--steam shovels--bulldozers--cranes--and on and on with all the glorious contrivences of man. HISTORY is your edge and see the wonderous information locked up in the libraries and depositories :read2: educate and prosper :icon_sunny: John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread