dfg suction dredge report is out

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sO IT DOESNT APPEAR THAT THEY WILL BE "LETTING",US THIS YEAR?

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep, for me on my claims mostly looks like a Class E - September through January is what is proposed so maybe this year I can get back to it. :thumbsup:

I haven't read the entire release but at a glance if I want to use any type of motorized winch (of course I do) and a dredge larger than the 4" restriction (again of course I do) I will have to have a CDFG on-site inspection. Not sure of the cost and will they come out in that time of year???

Anyone have some wetsuit heaters available??? ;D

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gravel Hog said:
Yep, for me on my claims mostly looks like a Class E - September through January is what is proposed so maybe this year I can get back to it. :thumbsup:

I haven't read the entire release but at a glance if I want to use any type of motorized winch (of course I do) and a dredge larger than the 4" restriction (again of course I do) I will have to have a CDFG on-site inspection. Not sure of the cost and will they come out in that time of year???

Anyone have some wetsuit heaters available??? ;D

I sold a brand new heater last year!!I will not dredge in Oct >:(

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
did you see where they propose 3/32 screen on our footvalues

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2cmorau said:
did you see where they propose 3/32 screen on our footvalues

That too is ridiculous!!What are they saying a pump on a 4 inch is sucking fish up?

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All who operate nozzle have to get permits as it was but you need to stick permit numbers (3" size on the dredge?) like a boat reg except that if you have a few operaters could be hard to comply? Make it 1 permit for the dredge and list all operators, come on common sense here!

4000 permits limit max. to be issued between 2011-2013?

Can't dredge lateral 3' from existing water line???? BS

On-Site inspection for larger dredge use and winch- but no time frame or cost???? What did they hire a bunch of inspectors???? Or will it takle three years???

Pump intake screen already mention BS!

Dredge season September- Jan. Wait trout spawn, smart, Shhhhhhhh.......

Can only dredge from sunrise to sunset on top of a seanonally shortened day (daylight savings) late fall winter ????

Lots of ridiculous stuff to comment on!!!!!!!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gravel,I havent read the whole thing,so,are all areas from Sept.-?Thats BULL>>>>!!!What did the fish spawn change???

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Miner's News
02/28/2011
Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Report for suction dredging in California has been released Print

The Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Report for suction dredging has been released by the California Department of Fish & Game.

DFG is recommending a "Reduced Intensity Alternative" that would severely reduce the number of permits allowed to 1,500 and limit those with permits to a maximum of 14 days of dredging. Obviously this is not acceptable. (Note: DFG has issued an average of 3,650 permits per year.) No provision is made for compensating miners for the proposed "taking."

Here's what the report says:

Reduced Intensity Alternative

The Reduced Density Alternative is similar to the Proposed Program but would incorporate a combination of additional restrictions on the total number of permits issued and general methods of operation to reduce the intensity of environmental effects in the Program area.

Under this alternative, a maximum of 1,500 permits would be issued annually by CDFG instead of a maximum of 4,000 under the Proposed Program. This would translate to a 59% decrease in dredging operations permitted annually compared to the recent historic average. As described in Chapter 3, the total number of permits issued by CDFG over the last 15 years has fluctuated; though on average approximately 3,650 permits have been issued each year.

Additional operational requirements would include density limitations, additional equipment restrictions, and restrictions on the duration of daily dredging and total number of days each individual could dredge. Dredging densities would be regulated by establishing a minimum spacing requirement of 500 feet between dredges. The maximum permissible diameter for nozzle sizes on dredging equipment would be set at 4 inches, with no exceptions. Equipment usage would also be limited to the hours of 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and a total of 14 days per year for each permit holder.

Here is the complete press release, along with related links, which DFG released today, February 28, 2001:

The Draft SEIR addresses the potential environmental effects of the permitting program, which was
suspended in 2009 pending completion of this review, and proposes amendments to the regulations
that existed prior to the current moratorium.

In addition to proposing the revised program, the document also evaluates the potential impacts of four
alternatives: a No Program Alternative (continuation of the existing moratorium), a 1994 Regulations
Alternative (continuation of previous regulations in effect prior to the 2008 moratorium), a Water Quality
Alternative (which would include additional program restrictions for water bodies listed as impaired for
sediment and mercury pursuant to the Clean Water Act, section 303(d)), and a Reduced Intensity
Alternative (which would include greater restrictions on permit issuance and methods of operation to
reduce the intensity of environmental effects).

The Draft SEIR and supporting documents are now available on the DFG website at
www.dfg.ca.gov/suctiondredge, and can be provided upon request by calling (530) 225-2275. Copies of
the Draft SEIR are also available for review at DFG regional offices including:
Region 1 601

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could have been worse. :-\
Read, re-read, and again. :read2: So plenty of comments but for some reason don't think they will bring their ears to the scheduled "show and tells" as always.
Still have to make written comment or just live with it. :help:

Lots of other new info on the CDFG site besides just the proposed-imposed to be regs. >:(

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yeah did yu notice the recently added mercury studies

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
kuger said:
sO IT DOESNT APPEAR THAT THEY WILL BE "LETTING",US THIS YEAR?
the last two months of the year 2011 will be able to dredge and the permit will carry over into 2012. so i guess it's time to build a new water heater

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Equipment usage would also be limited to the hours of 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and a total of 14 days per year for each permit holder.

You guys are not reading this???

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Under this alternative, a maximum of 1,500 permits would be issued annually by CDFG instead of a maximum of 4,000 under the Proposed Program. This would translate to a 59% decrease in dredging operations permitted annually compared to the recent historic average. As described in Chapter 3, the total number of permits issued by CDFG over the last 15 years has fluctuated; though on average approximately 3,650 permits have been issued each year

Caminochaos

Apr 14, 2010
So in short what is the all differences between now and then? Sorry for the stupid question...kinda new to the dredging thing.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
We will all be standing on corners looking for handouts from all the idiots that got this going.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caminochaos said:
So in short what is the all differences between now and then? Sorry for the stupid question...kinda new to the dredging thing.

Pretty much everything,we went from fairly "unrestricted",to strangled.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread