highbanker recirculating advice

weatherbyman

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2010
Hi all, I am lokking for a some help in designing a recirculating system for a keene 3 inch highbanker. This weekend I got checked by a county sherriff who said he was contracted by the blm to monitor usage for the public area I was working in. He claimed that I needed a water rights permit to draw water, and I was out of the in water work period to do so, and that he wasn't really sure at all of the laws I was breaking at the time lol. Anyways, even though he was wrong on most counts, I was wanting to start using a recirculating systems to keep contacts with these leos to a minimum. I was wondering if i could couple 2 30 gallon barrels if that would be enough water to keep running, the motor I have is the 6.5 honda with the p180 pump. I was also thinking of placing a bucket under the sluice to catch the tailings and empty as needed. I know that this is not an ideal setup, but was wondering if it might work to keep me processing all day, and to keep the leo types off my back.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
what state are you working in? you need to know the laws of that area and who owns that peice of land. does the state or is it federal property?? different laws apply to each! plus you should of asked him exactly which laws you were breaking! local police and state patroll have been hired to assist the most agencys. either way, he said to leave and he had a gun and a badge!atleast you didnt get cited and have to appear in court.

OP
OP
W

weatherbyman

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2010
I am working in oregon, and have a valid 600 permit, the officer didnt understand the difference between the 700/dredging, and the 600 highbanking. I was on a public recreational mining area and well within my rights. i am just trying to find out if it was possible to run a recirculating system with my setup, so i dont get cited for not having their illegal water permit and to keep my discharge from reentering the waterway.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure if ya have at least 2,500 gallons of water in 3 catchments(ponds) to drop out the clays and such as within a few minutes your tiny spray bar holes will plug and you'll have a ungodly mess. 3" is big for recirc hi-b-John

OP
OP
W

weatherbyman

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2010
thanks john for the reply, i was hoping that might work. back to the drawing board for me.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have the legal right to draw water for mining. Check the laws (Oregon has granted water rights for mineral extraction) As long as the water that is coming off your highbanker is running into a containment hole or a low spot so as not to run back into the river you are good to go. You should have gotten a DEQ fact sheet with your permit, look under small off-stream mining. They call it impoundments and closed loop.
Also look up Oregon granted water rights February 18th 1899.
If you don't mind me asking which recreation spot were you at?
If you can't find the water rights let me know and I will send you a copy, you should have a copy with you when your out.
If the officer were to right you a ticket for something he feels is illegal and it is not without checking the LAW, that would put him in a serious position for a lawsuit against "HIM SELF" They are supposed to know the laws, that's what there trained for.

OP
OP
W

weatherbyman

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2010
Hey jog I'd like a copy of the oregon water rights. I was at island crrek recreation site, when I got the 600 permit the person who issues them for western Oregon also tried to tell me that the water permit from the watermaster is required, I knew they were wrong, but it seems they are really trying to push that.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A water rights permit is for one location only, there is no way that would work in the mining business.
Sent you a PM.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread