Will this pump/motor work?

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil
Is this a trash pumP?? How can I tell a difference? I'll be building a 3" dredge thanks

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oops sorry that is an Ag pump same as a trash pump.

That pump would be an overkill for a 3" you could get away with a smaller pump but still not the same as the jetting pumps which put out way more PSI.
You could run two 3" dredges with that GPM all that is needed is around 150GPM but the head pressure on the jetting pumps are twice as much as those Trash/Ag pumps.

Would work although, have seen them but not for me.

Not sure of your locale, but might consider a used dredge (craigslist or newpaper, yard sales)
From what I've seen from experiences folks try to save $$$$ building their own but the final $$$$ way more than a good used would cost.
sign0134.gif

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
So when u say psi you are meaning how fast the water will pump over my sluice? I just read description and it says for clear water use, prolly won't be good for dredging? What kind of cheap pumps/motors are you do it youselfers running?

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
PSI or head pressure - the pressure the pump itself can generate through the pressure hose.

For a 3" dredge 150 Gallons per minute with 140' head would be about right.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gravel Hog said:
Might get by with it on a smaller dredge. How long will it last?

Trash pumps are not even close to the high pressure jetting pump used on dredges.

I bet you can't get any parts for that pump, that includes the pull cord assembly. I would buy a quality brand name not a no name. I know you want to save money but buying a low dollar unit will bite you in the A$$.

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
i think im going to go with this motor:
http://www.harborfreight.com/engine...al-shaft-overhead-valve-gas-engine-66015.html

and prolly source a good used pump like a keene or proline, something along those lines, the motor/pump combo i posted above probably wont work because the pump is not made for anything but clear water. What do I need to look for in the specifications as to know what pump to match it up to?

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cheap.......... Wouldn't wast the $$$$$$$$$$$$.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been running one for about 3 years ,mine had 3" ,inlet -3" outlet . reduced it to 2" on the outlet side . It has more power than my keene did. plus runs a blaster nozzle. only drawback is it is a lot heavier ,had to move the pontoons forward about 6-7 " .and you can't hook a t-80 to it .

Attachments

• 0801091113-01.jpg
    0801091113-01.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 808
  • 0801091113-01.jpg
    0801091113-01.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 927

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DEPTH AND HOSE LENGTH is the true proof of a pumps worth. Shallow water and a short hose ok but throw on a 15-20' er in 10-12' a water and no air on them trash pumps sooo tinker toys so so but pro/serious miner= no no-John :read2:

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
Gravel Hog said:
prospectordamon, found this on craigslist this morning and it is exacty what you could use for a 3-4".
Always find plenty of used pumps and such on craigslist and ebay, also know of many dredge parts hoarders locallly but that would be my own personal source/stash.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/grd/2367065806.html

man that is one HE!! of a deal! wish it wasnt so far, by the time i pay shipping it wouldn't be so cheap

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
prospectordamon said:
http://www.harborfreight.com/portab...gas-engine-and-3-inch-inlet-outlet-95976.html

Looking into building a budget dredge, and if this will work that'll be awesome!

Yes it will work just fine!
Clear water is what you will be pumping through your pump, that's what you use to create the suction for the suction hose that will be sucking up the gravel. Gravel does not go through the pump so don't worry. I run my intake hose into a submerged 5gal bucket to make sure it doesn't suck up any sand, mud, or debris even though it comes with a plastic basket filter.

That pump has plenty of head lift and GPM but you will likely have to run the throttle wide open when dredging 10 feet deep using a 20-25 foot hose.
All parts to the pump can be ordered through Harbor Freight. That is the same pump I use, only drawback is it's heavy.

GG~

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GG, not saying they won't work but it'd be far better in performance with a high pressure jetting pump and would last forever. Lots of other benefits, too. :thumbsup:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gravel Hog said:
GG, not saying they won't work but it'd be far better in performance with a high pressure jetting pump and would last forever. Lots of other benefits, too. :thumbsup:

I agree :icon_thumleft:

However a new 6.5 HP. GX200 Honda Engine with PHP160 Pump is $824.00
A new 6.5 HP. Harbor Freight engine with pump is.........................$249.00

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's why I had to go the cheap route. I know a briggs ,or honda is better. that's not the question. my issue was ,either cheap pump or no dredging ! most of the places I was going was shallow ,exposed bedrock -some with 1-2 foot of overburden. at the time I had a hard time coming up with $200 for that. but it did pay for itself quickly. when in deeper holes I run off a buddy's air . sometimes you have to make do .I wouldn't recommend as a first option, more like a last option. but in my case it was a good last option. yellow is yellow , no-yellow is no-yellow !!!!!!!and no-yellow is not an option !

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
strickman said:
that's why I had to go the cheap route. I know a briggs ,or honda is better. that's not the question. my issue was ,either cheap pump or no dredging ! most of the places I was going was shallow ,exposed bedrock -some with 1-2 foot of overburden. at the time I had a hard time coming up with $200 for that. but it did pay for itself quickly. when in deeper holes I run off a buddy's air . sometimes you have to make do .I wouldn't recommend as a first option, more like a last option. but in my case it was a good last option. yellow is yellow , no-yellow is no-yellow !!!!!!!and no-yellow is not an option !
:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
very well put fellas! thanks for all the valueable input

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread