highbanker ideas?

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil
looking for a few ideas/sources for some cheap parts! I am wanting to build a highbanker after completing my sluice and knowing its capable of fine gold recovery, wanting to save the classifying labor! I'm young but my back sure doesn't feel young! Heres what I need!

A cheap source/ideas for ADJUSTABLE legs for the sluice and boiler box

ideas for a cheap homemade boiler box w/o having brake bender capabilities, I have the flat expanded metal for the classification side of the boiler box just need ideas on a lightweight yet waterproof boiler box that can flare on the end!

Thanks for any and all help/ideas! anything is welcome!

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
Re: highbanker ideas PLEASE HELP!

wanting to do some adjustable locking legs similar to aluminum crutches, they have many holes in the leg with a silver pin that pushes in for adjustment and sets into the hole for locking

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used

i was thinking of fabricating the boiler box from 1/8" abs plastic. It will be both durable and lightweight, similar to the proline style mini highbanker box

Gramps43

Feb 27, 2011
Tillamook, OR
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I would say visit your local hardware & building supply store and just wander around through the different departments and see what they have in the way of materials. Then give your grey cells free reign to dream something up, my best ideas usually come after going to bed. Course I have to hope that I can remember it in the morning.

Gramps

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used

Gramps43 said:
I would say visit your local hardware & building supply store and just wander around through the different departments and see what they have in the way of materials. Then give your grey cells free reign to dream something up, my best ideas usually come after going to bed. Course I have to hope that I can remember it in the morning.

Gramps

funny you mention this, I catch myself doing this everytime I go to the hardware store for something for work, I end up staying there too long! Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
i think i just about got it all figured out! :read2:

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Post some pics! I love seeing others DIY equipment! I posted one of my highbanker builds awhile back, its still going strong and catching that yella stuff.

OP
OP
prospectordamon

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
Norcalprospecting said:
I need to solve the problem of cheap adjustable legs too.. what did you come up with?

have yet to come up with any ideas for the sluice-to-ground legs but may use the same principle I have for the boiler-box to sluice. I will be using what I call "backstrap" in my old profession. Basically I am taking 1/8" thick steel bars and putting holes in it about 1" apart. Will secure the legs with a nut. The bolts will be mounted to the boiler box and stay there, simply position the legs however high you want them, slide the leg over the bolt, fasten with a nut and done! Not as quick as the push-button crutch style but will work and most likely be more reliable. Over time those push-button style retractable legs tend to fail.

Norcalprospecting

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2011
Yuba and Placer county
I just bought 2 camera tripods.. from amazon $10 each I am going to remove the legs and attach them to my sluice in a way that should allow for easy removal.. wing nut or something like that... I should be able to adjust the legs independently and easily with that setup... hopefully they are study enough to withstand the water flow and weight... however i will have 6 legs i could use if 4 isn't working.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread