Attachments

• trommel.jpg
    trommel.jpg
    698.8 KB · Views: 10,569

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
your barrell looks just like the ones they use around me at the stores. or di you have it rolled for you?plus you need somesort of adjustment for the barrells tilt or itll load up on you.

lbell

Greenie
Mar 10, 2010
Hello: nice looking unit so far. I built my own 2 years ago and love it(that is when i get to use it).use chain #40 is what i used.also i saw a neat way to do the chain thing and that is to weld the chain to the drum all the way around and put the sprocket on a jack shaft right up against it.this makes it easy to remove the drum should you need to(and yes i do know that the chain is hardened and it does create a set of weird problems but thought that i would mention it)or you can buy a large sprocket like i did and I asked a machinist Friend to cut out the center on his lathe so i could weld it to the drum. keep going it looks great.LHB

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello jaguargene ...

Klondike here.....

I built one ... maybe 30 plus years or so ago... and there are a number of good ways to drive the drum... below is the way I decided on...

I used a rubber, toothed timing belt..... screwing one belt to the trommel barrel inside out (Teeth up) and an second exact same belt to fit on top of that belt (teeth down).. and to a 1 1/2 to 3 inch toothed timing pulley with the same tooth pattern as the belts for a good fit..... The pulley was either directly mounted to the B & S engine output shaft.... I ran it several years before needing to replace either one of the belts... With this arrangement... no matter how wet the belt gets, it won't slip..it always had good drive.. tooth belt mounted against tooth belt.....and the belts are cheaper than chain, they won't stretch any more or less than a chain will stretch... and the belts are more easily mounted to the drum than chain....and will take about 20 minutes to changed every 4 or 5 years or so

If you need to vary the drum speed, mount the toothed pulley on a shaft between 2 pillow block sealed bearing assemblies and drive that shaft from the B & S motor, by changing pulley diameters to and from the engine to the toothed pulley shaft.. you can then settle on a medium size pulleys that allow you to vary the engine RPM and thus vary the drum speed depending on the type of material you are working... an important part sometimes over looked with DIY projects...as clay type material needs a much slower speed and sandy requires a much faster speed...and always a minimum of 1 to 2 hour power gas engine larger than what is minimally required so you can still get good drive power at an idle speed, which will give you a good wide span of RPMs to be able to vary the trommel drum...from idle to max RPM speed...

Hope that helps...

Klondike...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread