Need help wiyh Dredge Sluice

jaguargene

Feb 8, 2011
Hi I need some input.I have a 8 foot X 15 1/2 inch wide dredge sluice with the first set of riffles is 3/4 inch high X 2 foot long,second I have a 1 inch high X 2 foot long and then a set of 1 1/2 inch high X 3 foot long riffles. My question is what size punch plate do I need,and carpeting.What do I need to finish this?Also I am running a 11 hp engine and a P350 keene pump ( 4x3 ), with a 4 inch nozzle.Am I going to blow every thing out the back and less my gold?Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• sluice.jpg
    sluice.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 748

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a ungodly long 8' sluice on a 4" tinkertoy your much more apt to sink than blowby. Toooo wide and long-John

lbell

Greenie
Mar 10, 2010
Hello : My buddy has the same pump on his 4inch and it works great however he also runs a 8 hp Briggs not a 11hp that is more for a 5 or 6 inch rig.and 8 feet of sluice with the riffles getting taller toward the end of the box is just going to collect rocks and plug up the works and sink your dredge. its way too long.as for carpet you don't really need it you can use the super deepv rubber mat all the way down or the new Keene super mat but its a little costly and you would need 3-4 lengths or about 450.00 dollars worth.classifier screen 3/8ths to 1/2inch steel punch plate and after that but on top of the carpet or matting 1/2inch raised expanded metal about 3/4 of the way down the box. good luck LHB.

TS wizbang

Greenie
Oct 23, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lbell said:
Hello : My buddy has the same pump on his 4inch and it works great however he also runs a 8 hp Briggs not a 11hp that is more for a 5 or 6 inch rig.and 8 feet of sluice with the riffles getting taller toward the end of the box is just going to collect rocks and plug up the works and sink your dredge. its way too long.as for carpet you don't really need it you can use the super deepv rubber mat all the way down or the new Keene super mat but its a little costly and you would need 3-4 lengths or about 450.00 dollars worth.classifier screen 3/8ths to 1/2inch steel punch plate and after that but on top of the carpet or matting 1/2inch raised expanded metal about 3/4 of the way down the box. good luck LHB.
Just buy your miners moss at Petsmart 12 dollars for enough to do your whole box and it has a rubber backing. Its called a kitty training mat.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
i agree with John on this completely! ive switched out the miners moss because ive seen it pack if you slow down/stop you eng. and it wont come unpacked when you start back up! ive switched over to Veranda carpet by Shaw thats NOT backed. it worked great while dredgeing the Arkansa River in Colorado this past year on a private claim!id like to do a comparison between it and that vortex stuff, but it costs to much to play with for me.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Russau can you provide a link online here to that stuff? I searched for it online now without any luck.

TS wizbang

Greenie
Oct 23, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Astrobouncer said:
Russau can you provide a link online here to that stuff? I searched for it online now without any luck.

If you want the vortex matting I bet the guy that makes the Gold Cube would sell u some but like you said It's Big Dollars. Oh and ive checked my mating and had no problems with it packing down and I have good results with it on my power-sluice.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Astro i dont have a link for that Shaw carpet. Hoser gave me my peices and then i bought more from a guy in Colorado last summer.ill see if i can get their contact info and post it here.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Astro i just sent a email to the person that bought some online. but you should be able to go to any carpeting store and buy/order it from them. just ask about Shaw carpet and the Veranda non-backed line of carpet. they should either have some or can order it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread