Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
I would appreciate your comments about the Keene Highbanker attachment for a Keene Sluicebox. I have an A54 or 52, can not recall exactly which at the moment, and I am considering the purchase of their highbanker modification. I've a small engine & pump from a Keene 2" dredge that I intend to use should I make this purchase, will that be too small a pump/motor?

Also, comments please about Stihl versus Husquvarna (sp??) chain saws. This will be for cutting camp firewood during the winter while I'm running the highbanker so possibly not much work with the saw during the rest of the year BUT I want an up to date good working sturdy unit so maybe a medium duty saw of about 37 through 48 cc's engine size.

Thanks all for your comments............63bkpkr

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63bkpkr I'm not familiar with the sluices or HB unit you are thinking of , but either saw brand, Sthil or Husqvarna should serve you well. I use both brands, often for hours a day, and gladly pack either one.
I really like the compression release on these new saws. It makes for some easy starting on cold winter days.

I'm sure you know already, but a sharp chain with properly filed rakers is a thing of beauty.

Take care 63bkpkr, I enjoy your posts,
Mike

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B63--what is size of orafices on the pump--does it have the cast in hose bib?? Reasoning is age of pump important as newer more psi/gpm and conversion is ok BUT like all highbankers them grizzly bars load up real ez and adios all your gold right back out AND all gold bigger than bar spacing adios too.What engine please also?? With smaller pumps run the hose at a ez gradient and go ABOVE the hibkr and then loop gradually down to take advantage of gravity flow suction also for mo' flow. A 90 degree angle costs ya over 18% of psi/flow and 45 degree about 7-8% so it all adds up to make/break your op as I know your part billygoat and hike to earths end ---tons a au 2 u 2-John

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Fellas,
All of your inputs are SO Worthwhile!! IF I do not have a permanent job by mid Feb then it is likely I will carry two tons of stuff into "someplace" for a while and do some prospecting. Yes, it is winter and so far, not much snow in the Sierras though I am not aware yet of what the current storm is doing. IF the conditions are still OK, no full time job and the buzzards are not trying to pick me off then I will take a shot at it.

I've done snow camping for several years, still have the equipment and am capable of keeping myself alive during cold to quite cold conditions down to zero degrees F. This type of adventure requires one to pay lots of attention to staying warm and safe, hence my question about chain saws as I will need to have a good fire going all the time I am awake. I walked into Costco last night and they had a fresh pile of Husqy Rancher e-series chain saws for $339. I looked up reviews for the saw and found that that particular saw has problems so I'm back to a Stihl.

delnorter, I performed my final Stihl research today at a well stocked store in Watsonville and have shrunk the list to two saws, MS 261 Pro Series & an MS211 C-BE Occasional Use series. I checked out the 271 Wood Boss as it and the 261 both have 50.2 cc engines. I compared pulling the starter cord on both and hands down IF I had the coin for the 261 that is what I would purchase, w/18" bar $569 plus CA taxes. The 261 has a compression release valve (as you talked about) and its use reduces the pulling effort by 66% to 75% while the 271 has no starting aid and the pull is severe. Even the 211 a 35 cc engine takes a good effort to pull but nothing like the 271 BUT the 211 C-BE has starting assist though not as good as the 261 it still makes it a lot easier to start the machine. IF all of the IF's happen then I will have a saw, some highbanker attachment for my A52 and an engine and pump for running the highbanker.

HJ - I will check on the pump in a week or so and get back to you. My current short term job keeps me very busy during the week but it is supposed to end in about a week and I will be able to pull it out of storage and see what it is. But, I purchased this 2" portable Keene dredge unit in 1992. It has a fine little Japanese engine on it and a very nice pump, just what pump I do not know at this moment. NO, I am not going dredging, just using the existing dredge engine & pump (I hope) to supply the water to the highbanker.

Now I do not have a firm number for the weight of all this stuff and lets not forget my usual "backpacking pack" weight of ~85 pounds filled with food for two weeks but I'm guessing it will be a good 200 pounds. Will I have fun? Yes when I get all of it in and then out. Will it be an adventure? Why of Course! All trips are adventures, why even the planning is an adventure! Will I find anything? I believe I will. How much , well that is a mystery we will only know the answer to once I've done this thing. And Nitro, I will be sure to check out that A52 HB mod link you sent as at under $100 it would literally be so worth it.

Now I would just as soon have a full time job as that is what I NEED to have in order to payoff $300,000.00 in student loans so please pray for one of the four companies I'm in touch with to hire me. And I will get back to prospecting a bit later.

Thanks a bunch.............63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MASSIVE SNOW AND UNGODLY COLD HAVE HIT THE &^%RFDEX@$ so keep the dayjob as long as possible as oldman winter is finally here with a vengence-YAHOO water for a ol'dredge dog to go play in-and today on the 7th day it is GOOD-tons a au 2 u2 -John

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey 63
look into Poulan
I was on my way to a spot in the sierras to metal detect in the early 90s my saw took a dump on me, I spent all day trying to fix the dam thing, just would not fire up. just bent traveling all over and the price of the sthl and husqy over rat ed, i bought a Poulan its been with me ever since and performs great

Highbanker attachment for a Keene Sluicebox? sold many, and never had anyone come back with a negative

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
+1 on the Poulan. I bought a Poulan Wild Thing (40cc I think)10 or 12 years ago and just can't kill it. It's been through 6 or 8 chains and 2 bars and still going strong. Stihl and Husky are great but this is half the cost or less. Not sure buts its probably lighter too.

Good luck on your adventure! How high are you heading?

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63bkpkr,

Hoser tells the truth about the weather here in the northern part of the state. Over here on the the coast, the Smith River went from a summer like low of 1,100 cubic feet per second flow on Wednesday of last week to 109,000 cfs on Thursday (the next day). Up in the canyons you could here the boulders rocken and rollin down the stream.

Good luck on the job hunt, the streams are getting the gold ready for you when the weathers improves.

Mike

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again fellas,
Your water/weather updates confirm what I just got off of the USGS Real Time Water Flow Data web site for CA. The NFAR WAS at about 80 CFS but late on 20 Jan hit 7000 cfs, Indeed the rivers are preparing the 2012 Gold Prospecting arena!

The Poulan saws, do they have a built in automatic oil pumper for the chain? Yes the Stihl/Husqy lines are pricey but for sure the Stihl's can be depended on and they have built in oil pumps so no thumb pumping manually while sawing and the right amount of oil gets to the chain/bar all the time. I've settled on which Stihl to buy IF I go that way but even a small unit is in the $300 area, to early to tell what I will do with that.

As it would be a winter trip I do not expect to be camping at more than 2500' elevation but as it would be a winter trip a fire will be needed all the time I am awake or else I will simply be miserable all the time and hence the chain saw as my little hand saw will not allow me cut that much wood and prospect in the same trip.

The work in the city seems to be in flux right now so I will see what happens in another week with city jobs.

Keep them "cards & letters" comin via ones and zeros on the Tnet, thanks a bunch................63bkpkr

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63bkpkr,
I have been doing high climbing and tree trimming around powerlines for 14 years, both saws you mentioned are great saws. The Husky is going to be heavier than the Stihl saws but the Husky will have a better RPM range. Great for falling timber, If you are just cutting camp wood I would suggest a Stihl o18c or a o26. The 018c can be up graded to a little longer bar and chain that would work great for small camp wood. If you are looking to cut camp wood and the occasional wood for the house then I would get an o26 or even one step up from that. I paid $189.00 for a o18c that I bought almost 8 years ago new and it's still running like a champ. I have seen many a Stihl saws dropped from well over 60' without any damage, saw one dropped from 70+ feet and never even stopped running, just knocked the air filter cover off. I think you can get a new small Stihl for right around $200.00. I take mine everywhere.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Again Folks,
I continue to research this High Banker thought of mine and have started looking at complete units from California Sluicebox as well as Angus MacKirk. The MacKirk Klondike looks like a top of the line unit while the CA Sluicebox GMS looks like a simpler, likely adequate but not as solid of a unit as the Klondike. Any Comments?

Also, any plans someone is willing to share for a frame and legs for the CASluicebox High Banker mod to the Keene A52? CAS does not offer the frame and legs as a purchased item, Keene does at $80 with shipping. These purchased parts now come up to ~ $170 and that is why I started looking at a complete system and I would not need to fool around with the carpet.

Just thinking..............63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: Le Trap is superior and no carpet,the original is the best.Got pix of a cleanup using one with 2.5+ pounds in it around here somewhere. More rain and it was good but we still need mo'mo'mo' :laughing7:. Dredging last thursday was RIGHTEOUS in the sun and plenty of fun-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :hello2:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
i do like my LT sluice!its great for cleanups from my dredge.just clean out the dredge sluice and put the LT in the dredge sluice and run the pump slow and just add the cons slowlu and it wash off the sand/gravel and leave the fine gold and nuggets if i ever find one!:)

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY 63, CHECK OUT GOODYGUY'S IDEA USING THE BOTTOM ENDS FROM ALUMINUM
CRUTCHES ON HIS SETUP. I DON'T REMEMBER EXACTLY WHERE IT IS ON TNET BUT
IF YOU PM HIM I BET HE WILL LINK YOU UP. IT'S A GREAT IDEA AND LOW COST!
:coffee2: :coffee2:
MIKEL

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mikel thank you for the input about goodguys post. I'd looked at it earlier but will check it out again to see what else I can do with my existing equipment.

I made the decission to go low cost on this High Banker adventure and therefore I've ordered the following: the CAsluicebox complete A 52 High Banker boil box modification, the Keene frame and adjustable legs for the A 52, a 3200 lb BullDog Snatch Block from Northern Automotive and on Monday I went out to Gilroy to Tractor Supply Co. and purchased a new 35cc Husky chain saw. There are a few other purchases to make but they are simple pieces just important. By purchasing what I have I feel I've covered the basics of what I will need to see if this little adventure will pay for itself. IF it will pay for itself and IF I want to compare the Angus MacKirk Klondike High Banker system to what I have just purchased then I will do that. If I find the little Husky saw will not keep up with camp fire needs I will then go out and purchase a new Stihl saw. But for now the basics are covered and I will be happy with them especially as it kept me from spending another $800 that is a bit dear to me right now. Once all the gear has arrived I will put it all together, take a few pictures and post them, expect this to happen in about 2 to three weeks

As a side note about equipment: Lever Hoists, the best is the Lug All next is the Tuf-Pull and third is the Harbor Freight 8000lb unit. Snatch Blocks, Northern Equipment, Dock and Truck Equipment, Tractor Supply Co., Mile Marker all have good units though some are excessively heavy so I chose the BullDog ATV/Trailer 3200 lb model carried by Northern Automotive in Iowa. Shackles, the nicest looking ones are made in India and carried by Tractor Supply though there are some other nice looking units from other suppliers, like Warn, but they are over priced though nice looking. The Stihl MS211 C-BE was my real choice for a first class chain saw as it comes with an easy start system so one does not pull their arm off trying to get the #*@""" thing started when you really need to cut some wood. But out the door the Huskey was ~$195 and the Still would have been just under $400 and both have nearly the same size engine. Then the saw accessories - Husky ~ $70, Stihl - ~ $200.

So yes, Prospectors do keep the economy rolling along and we would spend even more if Suction Dredging was allowed again, at least in California................63bkpkr

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY 63,
SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE GOING TO NEED A FIFTH-WHEEL ON YOUR BACKPACK....
THEY ALL SOUND LIKE GOOD INVESTMENTS AND I WILL MAKE ONE STATEMENT ABOUT YOUR
CHAINSAW CHOICE... STIHL IN MY OPINION IS THE BEST CHOICE. BEFORE I HAD MY HEATSTROKE I WAS IN CHARGE OF TOOL MAINTENANCE FOR A FAIRLY LARGE INDUSTRIAL
CONTRACTOR, CHECKING OUT TOOLS FOR ABOUT 300+ EMPLOYEES. WE HAD SEVERAL
STIHL HOTSAWS AND CHAINSAWS AND THEY WERE EASILY MAINTAINED AND MODESTLY
EXPENSIVE TO REBUILD. THE BOSS CHAINGED OVER TO "HUSKY" AND THE COST FOR PARTS
ALONE WENT THRU THE ROOF. THEY NEEDED MORE ATTENTION AND WERE REPAIR UNFRIENDLY. I STARTED JUST SENDING THEM BACK TO THE STORE WHERE THEY WERE
PURCHACED FOR REPAIRS. STIHLS COME WITH A STANDARD PACK OF HAND TOOLS TO DO FIELD REPAIRS. THEY PERFORMED AT ABOUT THE SAME LEVEL. THE SCALE TIPPED IN FAVOR
OF STIHL'S EASE OF (AND EXPENCE OF) REPAIRS......... SO GOOD CHOICE.

MY BACKPACK WILL WEIGH SIGNIFICANTLY LESS THAN YOURS. I'M RESTRICTED TO SHORT TRIPS AND VERY LITTLE WEIGHT. I'M WORKING ON A HAND PUMPED MINI-DREDGE AND HOPE TO KEEP THE WEIGHT UNDER 8 POUNDS. (I HOPE) I STILL HAVE TO GET VERY CLOSE TO
THE RIVER/CREEK WITH MY TRUCK.

GOOD LUCK AND I HOPE TO SEE THE PHOTOS IN A FEW WEEKS, GOD BLESS.
:coffee2: :coffee2:
MIKEL

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the parts and pieces have come in EXCEPT for the Keene sluice box frame and support legs. Seems like things are getting built slowly in SoCal.

Mint_2k

Jan 22, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
63bkpkr said:
Most of the parts and pieces have come in EXCEPT for the Keene sluice box frame and support legs. Seems like things are getting built slowly in SoCal.

There's definitely a slow down right now.....several folks I've been chatting with have 10-day email response times due to the pre-season rush.... :angry5: it stinks to be waiting like that. I hope it gets there soon.

Post pics once everything is in! :blob7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread