Engine/Pump options for 6" Dredge build

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Engine/Pump options for 6" Dredge build

So, I'm trying to decide between twin 6.5 hp or twin 9 hp engines. I'm going with harbor freight specials as for one they are less then a 1/4 of the price of a Honda or briggs and I can get a 2 year unlimited warranty for $20. I like the extra power/suction from the 9 hp engines but also like the lighter weight idea of the 6.5 hp engines.

What are your opinions of pumps I should go with? Keene, proline, d-k? Whats the best value for performance?

I'm trying to get some ideas for this 6" I'm starting on. I've got some home time coming up in the next couple of weeks and plan on getting some floats and start on the frame. I plan on building this on somewhat of a budget, yet still have it perform well.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Re: Engine/Pump options for 6" Dredge build

these engines have the wrong shaft configuration. they are keyed straight shafts and these pumps your inquireing about are tapered/threaded shafts. bite the bullet and buy a real engine/pump and be happy!

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

Good point, although that problem could easily be solved by mounting a freestanding pump driven by belt. I've heard good things about those engines. You get the occasional bad apple but if goes bad before the warranty is up then you just bring it in and they give you another one off the shelf.andonly $20 for a 2 year warranty.

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

Good point, although..... :icon_scratch: I've got nothing.

I found a local guy on Craigslist who is selling a bunch of new Honda engines that were used as a "learning experience" in a classroom. I'll have to get a hold of him and see what hes asking for them.

Guest412

Jun 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am going with a keene 6" but using proline hp 400 pumps. I talked to Jeff at Proline, very nice and helpful btw, and he said his hp400 flow about 370 gpm plus each 6.5 honda is 25 lbs lighter than a 9 . Worth it if you have to pack in and 740 gpm is plenty for a 6" that isn't going to crazy depths.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DD that MORE than enough easily for 30" a hose and 25' deep with duals. The jet is as important as the engines as dual induction with dual engines works much better,don't mean to over simplyfy but seen a few feeding a single 6" jet inductor :tongue3: and it was wimpy. At 10' deep with a 15' hose you'll run them at a tad more than 1/2 throttle and good to go at least 3 hours a tankload a gas-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

Guest412

Jun 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey thanks hoser That makes me feel much better about my choice.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Inexpensive knockoffs of Honda engines are available online at Home Depot. Probably a slightly better quality than Harbor Freight. I've just ordered a 15hp 420cc horizontal shaft engine, with delivery to the store free. The problem I've got with Harbor Freight is that they may be probematic with their warranties.
Check out the link below -

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbxdk/h_d2/Navigation?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

If not available at Home Depot, try the manufacturers rep here in the US - http://www.lifanpowerusa.com/?page_id=15

Best regards

OP
OP
O

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011

ncclaymaker said:
Inexpensive knockoffs of Honda engines are available online at Home Depot. Probably a slightly better quality than Harbor Freight. I've just ordered a 15hp 420cc horizontal shaft engine, with delivery to the store free. The problem I've got with Harbor Freight is that they may be probematic with their warranties.
Check out the link below -

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbxdk/h_d2/Navigation?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Best regards

Thanks ncclaymaker, I was actually going to ask you about that engine you got.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Found a bit of a logical opinion from a down-under forum. You may wish to consider this when you buy an engine. Edited slightly for relevancy, but cut and pasted in the majority.

Just another reason to use a large motor on a dredge rather than the motors that come as standard on nearly all recreational dredges, which have to be run at near full reves just to get enough suction. If you have a large motor with HP to spare, then the motor can be run at reduced revs. And this has many advantages, such as reducing noise ... and additionally, the equipment will last longer as it will run slower. More reasons why dredgers who are serious should use Production dredges rather than minimalist recreational dredges, even if it means more weight and the overall size of the dredge is increased.

Recreational dredgers are always going to experience continual mechanical problems. Recreational dredges are compromises, through and through! But recreational dredgers will still only purchase recreational dredges as they buy to price and most recreationalists put their dredges to so little use the design problems that continually arise are not the major problem they would be to a professional dredger. A professional can't afford down time as he must run his dredges for 6 to 8 hours a day and have the dredge available ready to use at any time during the season when weather conditions allow dredging.

The man has some good points. The "Big K" and others have been spoon feeding prospectors/dredgers for quite some time. They make more money selling replacement parts, than on the under-engineered, under-powered, somewhat overpriced equipment that they sell. I respect people that think outside of the box and if necessary, p**s into the wind.

Best regards and luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions