Im building a hand dredge and have a question.

soupfreak

Mar 22, 2012
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm building a hand dredge and have a question.

Hey everyone.

Decided to build a hand dredge this weekend. I still need to get a few parts but this is what I have so far.

Hand_Dredge_01_edit.JPG Hand_Dredge_02_edit.JPG

It has 2 check valves and when finished will have a hose feeding to a 5 gal bucket from the 45 degree outlet. The nozzles are threaded so i can switch between 3/4 and 1/2 in depending on the need.

Since this is my first dredge I'm not sure how long to leave the nozzles? Also, how much hose can I get away with going to the bucket? I was looking at connecting 1-1/2 in but I can use 1-1/4 as well.

Any feedback is appreciated. :icon_thumright:

helogunner

Greenie
Aug 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could you possibly do a step by step + materials list? I would like to make one of these, just have not seen one that looks like it will pass muster, this one looks very well made.
I have an area that has much exposed bedrock that can be easily broken free to expose the material beneath, dying to get a small hand dredge into them.

OP
OP
soupfreak

soupfreak

Mar 22, 2012
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can start you out with the materials list (still a work in progress)

-2 sump pump check valves ABS Plastic Check Valve-FP0026-6D at The Home Depot

-1 1-1/2 in Long-radius sanitary tee 1-1/2 in. ABS DWV H x H x H Long-Radius Sanitary Tee-C5812-L at The Home Depot

-1 2 foot 1-1/2 in ABS pipe 1-1/2 in. x 2 ft. Plastic ABS Pipe-12015 at The Home Depot

-1 1-1/2 in x 3/4 in PVC bushing 1-1/2 in. x 3/4 in. PVC Schedule 40 Spigot x FIPT Bushing-438-210HC at The Home Depot

-1 1-1/2 in ABS female adapter 1-1/2 in. ABS DWV Hub x FIPT Female Adapter-C5803 at The Home Depot

-1 1-1/2 in ABS male adapter 1-1/2 in. ABS DWV Hub x MIPT Male Adapter-C5804 at The Home Depot

-1 1-1/2 in ABS cap 1-1/2 in. ABS DWV Cap-C5817 at The Home Depot

-2 3/4 in PVC slip male adapters 3/4 in. PVC Schedule 40 Pressure MIPT x Slip Male Adapter-436-007HC at The Home Depot

-1 3/4 in x 1/2 in PVC reducer bushing 3/4 in. x 1/2 in. Schedule 40 PVC Reducer Bushing-C437-101 at The Home Depot

-2 1-1/2 in test plugs 1-1/2 in. Plastic Mechanical Test Plug-33400 at The Home Depot

-1 5/16-18 wing nut 5/16 in.-18 Coarse Stainless-Steel Wing Nut-32261 at The Home Depot

-1 2 foot 3/4 in PVC pipe 3/4 in. x 10 ft. PVC DWV Plain-End Pipe-57570 at The Home Depot

-1 2 foot 1/2 in PVC pipe 1/2 in. x 10 ft. PVC Sch. 40 Plain-End Pipe-530048 at The Home Depot

I also used ABS to PVC transition cement as well as regular PVC cement on the PVC adapters.

I pieced this together in the Home Depot parking lot (had to make 4 trips back in during the process LOL!)

A quick run-down of what I did:

-FIRST, follow the instructions WITHOUT GLUING ANYTHING once to make sure all parts fit together, then go back through and glue.

-Connect the first check valve to the tee above the curve (this will be sucking IN, so make sure you have the valve the correct direction.)

-SCREW the male abs adapter on to the other end of the check valve.

-SLIP the 1-1/2 x 3/4 bushing onto the male adapter.

-SLIP the female abs adapter onto the CURVED end of the tee.

-At this point you will need to cut off part of the threads of the 2nd check valve, other wise it will not fit. On the one I purchased there is a nice groove between the 1-1/2 in and 1-1/4 in threads that you can use as a guide. do this very carefully.

-SCREW the check valve into the female adapter you just attached.

-Take take test plugs and disassemble them. You will notice the top washer and the wing nuts are larger than the tube. use the smaller washers and wing nut you purchased to create a plug that will fit.

-Use the 3/4 in PVC slip adapters and 1/2 in bushing with the PVC pipes to make the nozzles. I have seen a few videos where people have cut the tips at an angle, but am still wondering about length.

This is as far as I have gotten. At this point I am not sure if I want to use a 1/2 in PVC pipe for the plunger rod or an already tapped 5/16 in rod (which is what I think might be better.) The 1-1/2 in ABS cap would have to be drilled to accommodate whatever is used. As far as a handle? Still thinking about that, too.

Also, a hose can now be run (1-1/2 in or 1-1/4 in) to a bucket for collection. Still wondering about the length.

Hope this helps you out, Check out some of the youtube videos on DIY hand dredges; that's where I got my ideas! :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Good, I like.
I made one too.
photo (2).JPG
photo.JPG
I tested it and decided to make the tip out of 2" instead of 1 1/2" PVC.

Here is the first gold I found with it a week ago.
11-16-12 SBEF.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread