Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More heater Q's

Hey fellas,
I've read various posts about DIY hot water heaters and have some questions.

What is the smallest engine that would allow for an exhaust gas heater type setup?
I have a Honda GX120 and am concerned that it won't get hot enough or produce enough exhaust to heat water.

If my engine IS big enough what style makes the most efficient heater? I know there is a pipe with washers welded into it and I've also read about copper piping coiled inside a coffee can.
I understand that a GX120 isn't ideal for this but really I just want a little hot water for my hands and feet. I already have 5mm cold water diving gloves and 5mm boots ( the thickest I could find)
But I still feel frostbite is not far off.

From what I gather you need to remove the exhaust pipe to install such a device, wouldn't this setup be ALOT louder than factory?

I am fully aware of the dangers from reading horror stories and seeing pictures of what can happen. I was wondering if this was a decently simple thing to make as most of the DIYs out there to be honest kinda suck.
Is there any company that sells an exhaust heater setup already ready to plug and play?

Thanks as always.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been researching and wanting to do this for a while on my Keene 4". But all the information I have found.. is less than stellar. It seems people have hit and miss results with exhaust heaters...

I have thought long and hard about making my own water jacket type exhaust and I am fully capable in doing so, but I want perfect performance.. I just dont know if you can get it.

As far as being louder.. In my mind I think you would essentially be creating a super muffer with all the air diversions in the tube.. but I could be wrong..

With that all said, for the $125 you can purchase the portable shower for I think I'm going that route and designing brackets to mount it and a propane tank on my dredge.

Bnugget

Oct 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I created a heater for my 4" using about 25' of 1/4" copper tubing wrapped in a 4" piece of steel electrical conduit(EMT). I fabbed my own manifold to connect to the unit to the motor. Added a BS muffler and it is not much louder than stock due to the copper coils absorbing the noise. This set up produces water above what is needed for diving but can be mixed with cold into a safety chamber. Take care and be careful as none of these systems are completely safe and this one has almost burned me on a few occasions. Make sure you have a sediment filter as the 1/4" tubing will clog easily.

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm assuming you read my thread on my trials and tribulations...I still haven't got one to work past a trickle. With this said, I think I know were I've gone wrong, If you look at my thread, look at one of the later post about the professional one. The secrete is to have many holes for the exhaust to pass through on it's way out. You don't want to restrict exhaust flow (burn your valves) but you want fast heat transfer. The trick I think is striking a even balance. I also increased my exhaust pipe size and that is allowing the ex-gas to cool off. As soon as I'm solvent again and can afford to refill my oxy-accy tanks I'm going to tackle that design again.

I think you need a min of 5 hp engine to make enough heat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread