Gold Hog matting

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Russau, get that installed and let us know how it's working in your dredge! What mats did you get and are you running a o/u?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoser John is gonna disown you......................................................

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Hoser John is gonna disown you......................................................

hahaha! this is in my 2 inch dredge im putting together, mostly out of things i have in my garage that i need to get out!. it wont be ready untill sometime in spring. my O/U 4 inch dredge still has the Veranda carpet in it,that John got me! currently the 2 inch sluice has a ABS crashbox sluice. im thinking of makeing a flaired sluice for it to help settel the cons faster than the crashbox design.it is going to use the suction nozzel because the 2 incher dont suck very deep.and while makeing the flaired sluice for it, it may as well be a O/U sluice for better fines retention!i try to always have various mats/riffels/setups for different strerams that i go to. if i were dredgeing only 1 or 2 streams, i probly wouldnt need all the variations. BUT it keeps a ole dog doing something during the winter!:) if this winter thing lasts much longer, ill probly have every combination for this dredge,I.E. jet,flaired sluice,crashbox,etc.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
That four might be harder to move around, but bending over and using that suction nozzle will wear your back out. Good health and great hunting.

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
yep your 100% correct,BUT this is made primarily for the Arkansa River in Colorado. itll be used in the shallows to capture the fine gold that is very abundant.ill still bring my 4 with me(as always)and in the shallows ill be laying/sitting down because of my bad back anyway! like i said before this is mostly from items that i have in my garage that i need to move out or do something with instead of letting it sit around getting in the way. i may end up selling it all if my back dont get up-2-speed after this summer! i keep telling my wife this may be the last summer, but this time it just may be!

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Russau, get that installed and let us know how it's working in your dredge! What mats did you get and are you running a o/u?
Omni im going to use a 1/4 screen over my first GH mat and itll be the UR mat,Razorback,scrubber, then repeat the sequence untill i run our of room. thats on top the lower section(under) will have some genuine Veranda "Hoser" carpet,directly from the man himself! i relly like the Veranda carpet after running it in my 4 for the upper and lower sluice in the Arkansa River 2 years ago!it saved lots of fine gold. i would just like to see how much better the GH mating will do!and if my back holds up and i get enough fine gold, well maybe ill be calling Doc for another order for the 4........time will tell.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
If you get out way, we'll help you haul it in and tend for ya:thumbsup:

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Oakveiw2, if caught, i dont think the state of Cal. would like me very much bringing in 2 dredges and sucking up the westcoast gold!but thankyou for the offer! maybe if you get out to Wyoming/Colorado this summer(July)(Sept) we could ponder on that offer over a cold beer!and im sure there would be other libations around the camp somewhere!!!

Last edited:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably won't make it out there this year, but would gladly buy you a beer or two if I did. Love to hear some stories, I remember seeing some videos of you and Hoser and some others having a great time dredging, drinking and eating some pretty good food... All the best with the new rig....

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
yep that was three years ago in Wyoming.man i cant beleive it was that long ago! that was the last trip for one of my best freinds Gene (Geno) Wiley that paased that year on Dec. 21 RIP ole friend!

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rus, I'm about 99.9% sure we are going to be moving to Denver next year. It will be September/October time so if your still dredging in '15 maybe at times we could meet up and I could help you get your dredge moved around so you could still get that nasty dirty gold! :)
Hey on your u/c section, are you running strait veranda or do you also have expanded?

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear about your bud, but you will always have the memories of your trip doing the things that you like to do. I am afraid future generations may never get that opportunity.

dpnichols

Greenie
Dec 11, 2013
North canton oh.
Primary Interest:
Other
Russau please rethink you may configuration you really want to go from a scrubber-razorback-ur or just do all river hog w/riffles cut if in a dredge you want the mats so they are acting as a finisher at the end

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
omni ill probly be there BUT by then i may be a bystander if my back isnt working good! dpnichols im going by what Mike from Gold Hog advised me todo on this 2 inch. but ill keep your suggestion on hand .ill probly temp the matts with the Gorilla tape they suggest to try it out in different variations before i settel on any variation. ill run it in my back yard in tubs and then ill probly go up to Indiana to give it a test run in early Spring/Summer

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
God Russ, I hope your not a bystander by then...hopefully you wake up one morning and your pain is gone.
But if you are *retired* by then and you feel the urge to dredge I'll be your hook you up!

Last edited:

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do ya think a old 6" tripple sluice would benefit from converting to hog matting and dropping the riffle in the side boxes or even the main for that matter?
Sure seems like the riffles r just too much for the water flow.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions