A question about my pump

Banjopicker

Jan 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a 3" 5.7hp 85' head lift 36.7psi flow rate 15840gph trash pump from harbor freight to run my monster copy highbanker. it's 17" x 105". Great flow at just a tad above idle by the way. Experimenting I put a 90degree pvc and a 3" to 2" reducer then two feet of pvc pipe. I was amazed how hard it sucked. I ran two blots through the end making a X to keep out rocks larger than my pumps .9 max solid. Thought I was on to something until it kept getting clogged on the end with rocks and would stop pumping for up to a minute when I ran a fair amount of solids through it. Can I switch it up and throw the intake in the creek and run the discharge to a 2"? dredge nozzle and have enough suction and enough water flow for the highbanker. It needs a couple hundred gpm " I think " G.H. matts. Would like to have one person shoveling while one dredges. Can it be done with this pump? Also would a 14hp keene dredge pump be severe overkill if I intended to use it on a dredge latter? Thanks guys

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's hooked up properly to a store bought suction nozzle that pump should be more than adequate to do the job.
It should even work with up to a 3" suction nozzle since it's capable of pumping a whopping 264 gpm. even though it's not a high pressure pump like the Keene.

GG~

Last edited:

Lynx equipment

Greenie
Jun 28, 2018
Arazona/montana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The problem with water pumps is they are low pressure high volume . A centrafugal pump ( a dredge pump) is high pressure and high volume that's why they power a ventury so well . Now what you can do is build a infinity jet and that pump will be awesome . But you'll need a bigger suction line and a massive or double sluce

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread