Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually it seems we are related as my branch fell offa the tejas tree and came to kalif. That HUGE post on jets was here...been sooo busy no time to double check but absolutely sure here?? I much prefer a 16-18 hp briggs IC to run a 6" ,as with every dredge I've owned, I always want more and NEVER less as then you have NO capacity for a longer hose,bigger compressor,kick butt monster blaster bozzle and on and on. I had for many years a great PESCO tri-jet 6" than usually ran 15' of hose with 2 -p-180s.Ran fine up to 20+ foot a hose but had a great jet also. Never had troubles running dual engines but I'm not in the CR jungle either. Hauling them smaller engines sure is easier when time for a in/out. Much MUCH cheaper to replace also and I am positive I used much more gas with them bigger engines. Run a 5 for 5 hours a day,as typical underwater time,and use less than a gallon a day so a moot point here at $3.29 a gallon. John

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Point taken.

My bud down the street and I floated his 6" today...all I can say is holy @)*#@(#($. With just one engine and pump going with the P180 and his pressure chamber tri-jet, he had serious suction. With the other pump going it would suck you hand inside the nozzle between eye blinks! That really throws a kind in my plans again....2 pumps..1 pump...argggg

littlenugget1

Jan 23, 2014
caldwell,id
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hay omni what do you think is going to happen whin i put them p180s on that 4" tri-jet and that crash box that is 14 " by 60" ? may have to run them motors at an idle.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Omni I PM'd you the copies of two articles I found, don't know if it will help, but Reggie Gould wrote one of them, and he is still avialable for questions. Gould enterprises, makes sub surface dredges.
can I get a copy please think need one of these for my tripple maybie that will make it flo more!

I also would like some contact info For the fella who builds them... Glen?

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My opinion is while on the surface it looks great, the recovery tray is just to small and over all of limited use.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hay omni what do you think is going to happen whin i put them p180s on that 4" tri-jet and that crash box that is 14 " by 60" ? may have to run them motors at an idle.

I think that it would suck a bowling ball up that hose. I'm very impressed with tri-jets. Hell with one pump running, your 6" had more suction then my 4" with a 6hp Proline 350...I'm thinking either my impeller is wack or the jet log is sized wrong for that pump.

I can only imagine what a infinity jet will do....Kind of gives me the chills thinking about it. I may go the 2 engine/pump route, use one pump while shallow and fire up other pump when I get deeper! I'm going to wye the 2 pumps and take a single (3"???? got to do the math) to the jet. I may put a shut off zero loss shut off valve on one line to stop it from back flowing.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry, it was date night, took my wife to a movie then Indian Food...got to keep the old lady happy!

Thanks to everyone who has posted here. I'm more grateful then you can imagine.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I saw a video on youtube about some,kind of new jet and some testing they were doing on it but I can't figure where I saw it...

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How much better you think this jets gona be?
Than a jet log
According to Reggie Gould's Test:

Tri Jet was 95% more efficient then single jet
Suction Nozzle was 67% efficient then single jet
Infinity Jet was 137% more efficient then single jet

Based on what I experienced today with a tri jet...all I can say is there should be no other jet used ever besides a tri or infinity. I could not believe the suction nor the water it moved across a Gold Grabber flared sluice box with only one pump going. When there was 2...man it was moving even more serious water and suction!

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The following was copied from Gould Engineering:
"The design of the venturi generator is completely different from any other device. The actual jet is located at 360 degrees around the outside of the incoming water from the suction hose. The concept is to grab the outer perimeter of the water from the suction hose, and break the surface tension on the wall of the tube and accelerate the body of water and material. The losses in this type of jet are very minimal. Because the jet gap is so small, the jets are usually made adjustable for maximum efficiency. This has a built in advantage, if the gap was to get clogged, then it could be opened to self-clean."

"The benefit is operating with smaller motors & pumps or eliminating one motor & pump, where two are needed to complete the job. The extra motor and pump are also very heavy when you have to pack it in to a remote spot. Another benefit is you will use less gas, for those of you that had to pack in your gas a long way from the road. There is one conclusion that I have arrived at with all this testing, there is a minimum size pump & motor that can be used to produce the venturi, after that size is met, the improved jets just produce more vacuum for a given size pump system."

"The test setup was very simple, a short piece of pipe with a vacuum port venmturi was installed at 90 degrees to the suction side of the Log and a 15.0' length of Suction Hose was attached to the other end. A Vacuum Gauge was connected to the vacuum port. A water pump, capable of producing 225 GPM, was attached to the water supply Jet of the Log. The pump was operated at half throttle and then full throttle, and each reading recorded. The full throttle data produced the best-controlled data, so that is what will be reported on. Why was a Vacuum Gage used instead of using a Calibrated Hand? I thought empirical data would best be derived at by using a Scientific Instrument, over the Calibrated Hand approach. The average reading was 4.0 inches of vacuum at full throttle. An interesting thing was found when I testing the Log, I decided to extend the length of the Log by various amounts and record the results. By extending the length of the Log by 12", the Vacuum would be increased by 1.0" of vacuum, for a total of 5.0" inches of vacuum, or an improvement of 25%. Why would increasing the length of the Log provide more suction? It is the nature of the beast, the Venturi System derives the vacuum or suction by various pressure zones. I did not attempt to calculate the proper length. The original length was probably determined by trial and error. It will be noted that there was no appreciable difference from one manufacture to another, they all did what they were supposed to do."

"Why are vacuum measurements important and what do they mean? The various readings are used for a baseline to measure the differences from one device to another. The vacuum readings are directly proportional to the suction at the end of the nozzle."

"The 2nd. Device tested was an experimental Tri-Jet, it tested at 7.8 inches of vacuum, at full throttle for an increase of 95%. I understand that there is a smaller manufacture of dredges that installs his Tri-Jet in the Suction Hose located about 5.0' from the Dredge. The people using his equipment say that this installation greatly increases the Suction."

"The 3rd. Device was another Experimental Jet, called the Infinity Jet, that device measured 9.5 inches of vacuum for an increase of 137.5%. The 4th. Device tested was a real shock, it was the old fashioned Suction Nozzle and it tested at 6.7 inches of vacuum, for an increase of 67.5% more power."

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ohhh hell they may make my dredge flow enough that would be cool...
I have a monster for a pump and motor so maybe this is my ticket.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are my hip boots as them %%% are blue sky bs. Here is a PESCO designed pressure chamber fed flared tri-jet rough construction drawing. Too busy still to have time to find that HUGE post here on jets but I NEVER give up. Treasure Emporium x engineer Robin Lee was/is still working on "the perfect jet" and don't believe he'll ever give up. In opposition to popular beliefs HE was the father of the triple sluice for TE back in the late 70s and design copied by others. --John

Attachments

• 04-01-2012 tri-jet.JPG
    04-01-2012 tri-jet.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,265

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread