Need some advice on 4" dredge sluice

Banjopicker

Jan 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought an 03 model Keene 4" dredge. The motor, pump, compressor, and all is good, but the three stage sluice is missing some parts. I watched a video on a keene clean out and it looked like a time consuming pain compared to the Hog mats in my highbanker. I have to put something in the sluice to get it useable. does anyone ever swap the three stage over to rubber mats or do I just need to buy the missing pieces from Keene? Probably a dumb question but give me a break, first time dredge owner here. Thanks

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would think a phone call to Keene Engineering will answer that question best, but first I would wait to see what feedback you receive here.

I know that Keene goes to great lengths to insure that their equipment is designed for best all around gold capture and is extensively field tested with many years of experience and science backing up their designs. They may even be able to offer some updated improvements to enhance the performance of the 03 model.

They also make a miracle mat that came out way before other knock off custom mats. You may want to ask them about it's proper use for your needs.

All the Best,
GG~

Last edited:

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was considering GH mat at first for my 6" build but changed my mind when I found out that you have to clean them mats out every 2 or 3 hours. Don't bother trying to convert your 3 stage to GH, Many have tried from what I gather on GH forum but not are working right. The 3 stage is not a pain to clean out. Just clean stage 1 once a day or two if you feel like it and don't touch 2nd or 3rd stage till your complety done dredging for the weekend or week or what ever.

90% of all your gold will be in stage 1.
8% will be in the underflow section
2% will be in stage 3.

What parts are you missing?

OP
OP
B

Banjopicker

Jan 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like good advice, I'll use it. I have sent Keene an email, but yeah I probably need to call. I was expecting the clean out to be as often as my miners moss on my highbanker, filling up too fast. I saw a little while ago that I could go all day between clean outs which makes dealing with all the parts much less of a task. This brings me to another question. I'm in the beginning stage of a 6" dredge build, partly to save money, partly just for the fun of it. Should I copy the 3 stage or go flat with mats like I have planed?

OP
OP
B

Banjopicker

Jan 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw where you ask what was missing. I have the square mesh classifier, the bent punch plate, and the small riffle. Nothing else

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heres the thing about GH mat, I really hope someone who knows more about this like Doc will chime in. As I understand it you have to clean the mats every few hours and that well will slow production down.

Building your own 3 stage will be a fun project but it can have a steep learning curve. I Built a simple over/under for my 4" last year then built a 3 stage. Let me tell you, getting things just right with it was a pain in the ass. Between getting it to clear right and not lose gold took for time. I finally got it right and I do like it but am I going to build one again for my 6" I'm building? HELL no. I do not want the hassle again. So much lost gold and wasted trips (3+ hours round trip) I decided to just stick with a over/under design.

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So you don't have the separator plate, riffles for stage 2 and 3...man that's going to be almost as expensive as buying a new sluice my guess....
It's your choice to either make it a single sluice and run GH mat or pay-to-play.

OP
OP
B

Banjopicker

Jan 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it 's starting to really suck. I don't want to but I can buy the whole thing from Keene for around 800 I think after tax, and shipping and still be under 1700. I don't mind the cost I don't guess but I kind of hate getting close to $2000 for that old of a machine. I have a sluice the same width that's 60" long left over from building my highbanker, Yeah I forgot to mention that. I may put it on there with some matts in it and give it a test run. I'll talk to Keene tomorrow and then decide. I cant find all the parts I need on their website. All I could see when I went to look at it was a good frame,floats, engine, pump, and air for under a grand. I'm enjoying the learning process but I'm about ready to put this part behind me and get on to my 5/6 build with all new parts. I know how I'm going to do it. The only reason I'm fooling with it is some places I'll go restrict to 3" others 4". Some allow 5 or 6. Thanks

Last edited:

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nozzle size restrictions? You know how to get past that? Here in Idaho they have a limit of 5" nozzle and no more the 15hp...here's what you do, get you a few nozzles for your 6". The cut the restrictor ring off and weld on a 5" ring. Take your second nozzle and do the same with a 4" and so forth. Unless there is a max hp limit then this should allow you to dredge in these restrictive areas.

A new Keene box will set you back $650
Code:SB4F3
Price: $650.00

OP
OP
B

Banjopicker

Jan 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No hp limit but here they go by hose size. Yeah I was just guessing 800 because of shipping and tax

Last edited:

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
FYI you do not pay sales tax on Internet purchases unless the company your buying from has a brick and mortar store in your state.

Are you sure its hose size or nozzle size? Big difference. I've looked at regs in 8 different states and they always specify nozzle size not hose size. To me I see a pattern here...just saying...42 states to go!

OP
OP
B

Banjopicker

Jan 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are absolutely right. knew internet sales were not taxed just getting senile in my old age. It's not the state it's the property owner or the lease holders restrictions. They go out of their way to say not nozzle but suction hose size. I think I can just buy the bottom two riffles and some carpet. I have v matting and raised expanded metal.

OP
OP
B

Banjopicker

Jan 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are absolutely right. knew internet sales were not taxed just getting senile in my old age. It's not the state it's the property owner or the lease holders restrictions. They go out of their way to say not nozzle but suction hose size. I think I can just buy the bottom two riffles and some carpet. I have v matting and raised expanded metal.

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I cant for the life of me figure out why a claim holder would want to limit your hose size, especially if they are getting a %. Seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot. I would find a better place to dredge, anything below 4" is imo a waste of time as at the end of the day you could dig buy hand more material lol. I started with a 2.5 dredge...man what a waste it was...well not really I'm allergic to shovels!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you consider selling that 4" 03 model with the missing parts?

Pm me with a price.
GG~

OP
OP
B

Banjopicker

Jan 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing I own is not for sale, but you wouldn't want it for what I'd have to get. I want to be able to dredge in a couple of weeks so I'd have to get close to what a good used one would go for. Grub and Gem, I think that's the name, in Georgia is a pay to dig. They charge by the inch and limit it to 4. It's more like a tourist spot where you can buy buckets of gems and cons to pan, but also allows prospecting. I can only guess they don't wan t a 6 or 8 coming in and cleaning their stretch or the creek out. Curvins is privately owned and leased to GPAA their limit is 3". Only 2 reasons I'd go there. Its less than 2 hours away so would make an easy one day trip, and curiosity. As far as if they restrict to small you'd go somewhere else You might feel different if you lived in Alabama, only two places in the state that even allow dredging that I know of. If I'm not mistaken the GPAA claims in Georgia limit to 5". Only know of 2 places that allow 6" which is what I'm building now.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread