Moving sand

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what's catching my attention on your project. The bands of dark sand in the red box. Hit those with a sluice or dredge for some black sand and shiny goodies!

sand1.JPG

OP
OP
S

shenzi

Greenie
Jun 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curtain

Here's what's catching my attention on your project. The bands of dark sand in the red box. Hit those with a sluice or dredge for some black sand and shiny goodies!

View attachment 1195662

I have checked the Piranha pages and the whole rig is to far away and would be to expensive for my simple job. I have decided to explore the natural method mentioned in a earlier post.
Would someone be kind enough to indicate where these curtains would be best place by adding to this diagram.
Cheers
Mike
curtain.jpg

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Goggle " Vortexrex " venture made by Dave Frank . he was selling plans for his venture system on Craigs list or ebay. I got one from him maybe 10 years ago or more and it still worked great until I sold my 4 inch dredge. His plans had 2 cds and detailed prints to build your own. the plans were $29. or $39. dollars . I bought his plans even though I already had one of his devices. he has several videos out there also. he just sets it into the hole with a additional water hise and let it suck the material away. he had another guy in the hole to remove the bigger rocks. BUt you should see the hole that ended up on the first day! this sounds like it would be right up your thinking! Goodluck!

Skunked68w

Jul 25, 2015
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a cool thread. I wished I lived in the middle of nowhere Africa. I think you are looking at this the wrong way. You said local labor is $5/day. Why don't you just hire 10-20 guys with shovels and do it old school. It would be much cheaper than the $1000+ for dredging supplies. Plus you put money out into the local community and build good will

Skunked68w

Jul 25, 2015
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also if you have an atv just put a snow plow attachment on it and push the sand in. I bet you close that by yourself in a day

OP
OP
S

shenzi

Greenie
Jun 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys,
Just been down there again and decided the locals are not the most industrious of workers.
Back to moving with machine.
You all say that a 2.5 nozzle will not move much.
I have a 7 day window with no water between neap tides.
Maybe a little multipled by 7 might be enough.
Any ideas how much I could move in loose sand over say 8 hours.
Only short 20 foot hose and little lift. Just an approximation will do.
I would also like to know the weight of
Martin Prospecting 2 1/2" Suction Nozzle for Gold Dredge Sluice Box 1 1/2" inlet | eBay
Only for shipping purposes. I can get it to UK but then have to have a friend carry it down here by hand.
He is a lawyer and is not used to lifting much more than a pen. :-)
Cheers
Mike

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
not that portable when you consider that the truck on shore has the hyd. power unit on it and its limited to where it can go and the length of the hyd. hoses.plus im assuming the cost would be real steep for this equipment.

spaghettigold

Oct 14, 2013
western sahara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not that portable when you consider that the truck on shore has the hyd. power unit on it and its limited to where it can go and the length of the hyd. hoses.plus im assuming the cost would be real steep for this equipment.

yes russ,valid points..just throwing in possibilities to consider.It may help get an overall pic and lead to a decision(or confusion?)

OP
OP
S

shenzi

Greenie
Jun 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thank everyone who has chipped in with advice but my biggest problem is getting all this stuff mentioned to me here in Tanzania.
We have a lot of workshops around here that can make almost anything.
Starting to think along the lines of making a nozzle and just attaching to a readily available petrol driven 2 inch water pump.
As I will probably only use the equipment once difficult to justify the expense of some of your suggestions.
At least with a cheap pump I will possibly use it again for other things and just abandon the nozzle.
That said I might ask your comments on this nozzle. Basically will it work and what dimensions should I use when making it.
Cheers
Mike nozzle.jpg

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st rule of mining-sand moving-is KISS -Keep it simple and Stupid therefore fool proof. Make a simple suction nozzle or powerjet and forget your convoluted hi falutn' thang and go simple non confounding object. John

OP
OP
S

shenzi

Greenie
Jun 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shall take your advice John.
Last question then remains.
What size nozzle?
What size pump?

Adventure_Time

May 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could fill the channel with downed logs to reduce the volume of sand you have to move... would save some time eh? I'd try to attack the sand with a giant air blower system, it's not like you need to move rocks right?

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could fill the channel with downed logs to reduce the volume of sand you have to move... would save some time eh? I'd try to attack the sand with a giant air blower system, it's not like you need to move rocks right?

I agree, water would be a waste of time. The best solutions have already been posted since the beginning.

OP
OP
S

shenzi

Greenie
Jun 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is best seems to me to be a matter of opinion.
In my particular case also what is practical and available to me down there.
I also have to weigh up how much to invest in this and can I use what I have invested in another day on another project.
Reed seems to think using water is no good but what is not understood here is this.
We have a spring tide of 4 meters down there.
This means that the neap tide is very low.
If I was to attack this problem on an outgoing waning neap tide I would not have any interference with the tide for almost a week.
If in that time I can prepare myself with a high enough bank of sand across the mouth I will not have any tidal long shore current to deal with ever again.
Tides do not come in and out they go up and down.
Only when there is an opening do they rush in and take whatever is in there way with them. Bit like a plug in a bathtub.
No opening, no long shore movement, no erosion.
Having said all that I have learnt one hell of a lot talking to you guys and have come to the conclusion that I will go with the biggest eff off pump I can afford and the biggest nozzle.
Some of the solutions I have been offered since the beggining of this thread are mind blowing.
I have been living here in Kenya for 45 years and have many friends in the shipping business.
One guy offered me a pump absolutely perfect for the job.
Only problem is I would need the USS Enterprise to get it down there.
Spagettigold put me onto a Vortex pump from New Zealand.
I got in touch with the Kiwi boss in NZ and decided to pay him US$2000 for the pump I needed.
Only an hour later did I find out that I needed a Hydraulic Power Pack to run it and that was another $15,000
Back to KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid.
All that remains now is for someone to point me in the direction of the best place to get a 5" or 6" professional nozzle.
I have studied enough now to know I am not going to attempt making my own for this first time critical job.
Thanks again guys you have all been great and if any of you ever make it over this way there is a cold beer in my fridge with your name on it.
Aussiemike

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water with sand gives you a flat running huge pile of waste. Logs on both sides filled with sand are it... You will see that water and sand don't mix or make mountains, it just spreads wider and wider without containment.

OP
OP
S

shenzi

Greenie
Jun 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Reed.
Valid argument.
I have 2000 huge maize bags down there.
How about this.
I lay two rows of bags with sand 20 meters apart.
Then fill in between.
When the level reaches the top of the sand bag I repeat.
Another layer of bags, fill.
Sound plausible?

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Reed.
Valid argument.
I have 2000 huge maize bags down there.
How about this.
I lay two rows of bags with sand 20 meters apart.
Then fill in between.
When the level reaches the top of the sand bag I repeat.
Sound plausible?

As long as you have containment, it will work. That sounds like a good plan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread