Just for the sake of understanding ....

Master-Peter

Apr 19, 2015
near Hannover
Detector(s) used
not have
Primary Interest:
Other
Where I come from dredging is about to be impossible (by law) so this is just because I'm curious ...

I found this :
HTML:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Wasserpumpe-Barnes-Mit-3-Zylinder-Detroit-Dieselmotor-/161842116878?hash=item25ae8ab90e

and am just wondering what size of drege one could build with it... This beast should suck the baltic sea in a matter of days ;-) when powering
a infinion jet and guided by a diver that is not afraid of loosing body parts ....

OP
OP
M

Master-Peter

Apr 19, 2015
near Hannover
Detector(s) used
not have
Primary Interest:
Other
just to make clear the intention behind ... would'nt you want to max throughput to collect more per hour? Why did I never happen to see a big pump like that anywhere here? Too expensive or not worth it?
So why does not everyone go with the biggest setup that is available to make the most volume/time? I know, nozzle size is restricted in some places .... but does not a big pump give more volume even on a undersized nozzle?

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you asking for help with breaking local laws? That's a violation of TNET rules.

OP
OP
M

Master-Peter

Apr 19, 2015
near Hannover
Detector(s) used
not have
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you asking for help with breaking local laws? That's a violation of TNET rules.

No, not at all ... I just want to understand the theorie behind it. Where I come from dredging is illegal, so I will never dredge here. But there seem to be countries around and countries that I frequently travel to, with different / less restrictions. I'm not going to break any laws anywhere for the risk is not worth it. So you can be sure I'd take a several k investment only to leagal places.

We have so many tree huggers, goat f***ers and even gay whale s(h)avers over here that you have to take your attorney for collecting mushrooms nowadays. But mine is watershy - so no dredging here.

But if we take a perfect world with no restrictions ... is it go as big as you can (affort)? And if we have restrictions ... size down to fit them? Or is tere a point where size does not matter anymore?

I'd like to know if my theoretical understanding is right. "The bigger the more profitable/hour - on a given spot".

Sometimes there are cheap but powerful, used pumps availale from fire dept. or army here ... and I wonder if they might fit a dredge/highbanker, but never got known of anybody running a system like this (anywhere). So I'm curious...

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, just talking academics, I gotcha now.

I can't read German, so I don't know the specs of that piece of gear... but that thing would suck a car in half! Some of the biggest suction dredges around are using things like small VW engines to turn a high pressure pump.

OP
OP
M

Master-Peter

Apr 19, 2015
near Hannover
Detector(s) used
not have
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep were in academics here ... That thing is rated 2280ltr / minute eich is about 6oo gallons / minute, at high pressure. So a small car within a minute ;-) or a cow in 30seconds ;-)
But I'm not thinking scrap or beef ... I got bitten by the gold bug. So what size of dredge / Highbanker would fit a engine like this, academicly?

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Yep were in academics here ... That thing is rated 2280ltr / minute eich is about 6oo gallons / minute, at high pressure. So a small car within a minute ;-) or a cow in 30seconds ;-)
But I'm not thinking scrap or beef ... I got bitten by the gold bug. So what size of dredge / Highbanker would fit a engine like this, academicly?

Im running like almost 800 gpm in my dredge with two small motors engines and it would run a 6" dredge.

The bigger pump that uses a VW engine pumps 1500gpm and are used to run a 8 inch dredge.

These pumps are high pressure lifts the water 150-180 ' .

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Im running like almost 800 gpm in my dredge with two small motors engines and it would run a 6" dredge.

The bigger pump that uses a VW engine pumps 1500gpm and are used to run a 8 inch dredge.

These pumps are high pressure lifts the water 150-180 ' .

Yeah, that's a pitiful output for something that looks so big and heavy. 2 6-horse motors running 2 Keene P-180 pumps will equal that monsters output. It would be much cheaper and better to run a standard 8" dredge motor and pump combo.

OP
OP
M

Master-Peter

Apr 19, 2015
near Hannover
Detector(s) used
not have
Primary Interest:
Other
fresh fish to be sluiced ;-) Would love to see the face of any dredge operator, when this lands in his sluice :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Master-Peter

Apr 19, 2015
near Hannover
Detector(s) used
not have
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh. I see what it is now its an old transfer pump, maybe used for filling fire trucks or used for farm irrigation.
this is what is used for large mining; (4500gpm) or (17034 l/m)
PP88S12L71-D914L06 - Pioneer Pump, Inc. - Americas

Whow, thats a beast of a pump. So the one I thaught to be big is a toy only...

By the way, are there any calculators or formulas to size pump & nozzle & sluicesize to fit each other? (Yes I used the search function)
I know there are lots of variables, but to start with a formula would come handy...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I wasn't so lazy I would run some calculations... but I hate math.

300gpm pump will adequately feed a 4" dredge with a 16" wide sluice. Two 600gpm pumps will feed a 6" dredge with a 26" wide sluice.

4" dredge hose has an opening area of 12.57". A 6" dredge hose has an opening area of 28.27". I'll let you work out the math yourself for anything else

OP
OP
M

Master-Peter

Apr 19, 2015
near Hannover
Detector(s) used
not have
Primary Interest:
Other
... so for 2,25 times the area one needs 4 times the volume? Strange and unexpected.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! that is the very first time ive seen a fish get sucked into a nozzle! most times (when I was out dredgeing) the fish sense the suction and quickly dart away from the nozzle!

Yeah, it shocked me too. I have tried to get fish into my nozzle before but they are too quick and could run circles around the nozzle without ever going in. That must have been some crazy amount of suction on that unit.

OP
OP
M

Master-Peter

Apr 19, 2015
near Hannover
Detector(s) used
not have
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder if that fish was close to its life cycle?

Maybe a suicide shark, tired of eating fish and swimming around all day. He hugged corals and combed seagrass, he even got engaged with a gay dolphin for a while. Then after becoming vegetarian and thinking of moral and ethics he understood the meaning of life. Eat or be eaten. So he decided to sacrify himself to the most hungry "animal" around, only to become a youtube star and party all day from the income with his friends in the next life.
Unfortunately he was reborn as a penguin, recently. A flight disabled bird on the coldest country on earth. Freezing his balls off and no way to escape. Thats what bad karma means.:BangHead:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread